Why become a member? ×

Does anyone make a small class-D amp with just a volume control?

Davo-London

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1323851699' post='1467660']
Acoustic image used to, but not any more.
[/quote]
yep, focus sa. love mine.
but even if you have active basses, you might need a preamp pedal, possibly with a di-out.

From a manufacturing perspective, once you've made a power amp, a power supply, an input stage to the power amp and a casing (let alone a DI or any other features!), then the cost of adding some more preamp circuits and knobs is fairly minimal - so you'd have to sell a micro-power-amp for almost the same price as a complete micro-amp. And as not many get sold it would be prudent to charge a premium to compensate for either the increased production cost due to smaller volume, or the increased capital tied up in slow moving stock if you make them in higher volume production runs. Hence they remain a bit of a rarity!

Oh I didn't expect it to be any smaller than the current D-class offerings. However, there is something v sexy about an amp with one control (ie volume). For some reason that really appeals to me. There's a hi-fi purity in it. If you compare that to this:

Then I think you'll see my point.

Since you are onboard Alex, have you noticed any amp/cab matches that really work? Particularly for a Jaco tone on fretless?

Cheers
Davo

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1323977526' post='1469505']
Im pretty sure with the Ashdown MiBass you can turn the EQ off and then you will just have input gain and volume...
[/quote]

Depends if the amp still imparts it's own inherent voicing. You can set the eq flat on any head, but they still don't all sound the same.