Why become a member? ×

Your worst bass disaster

Dom in Dorset

I think I've been lucky, as far as I remember the worst accident I've had with a bass was a few months back...
I was looking at my Epi T bird , I was going to list it for sale , I was thinking I'll try starting at £140, it's in great condi......it fell from my hands onto the tiled kitchen floor.
I listed it for £100 because it had a big chunk of varnish knocked out of it.
Can you do better?

Gig of my life, headlining a great venue.... and the DI box is on the floor next to the amp.
We start playing and it's awesome, the crowd go wild, we go wild.
And at some point jump back and my signal keeps cutting out. I find if I stand near my amp and keep stock still it won't cut out. So I do. Right next to the hottest stage lights ever
I later find out i had landed on my jack cable where it went into the DI box and sheared the plug into different bits.

Poncing like a tit at a gig I fell flat on my face and broke the jack off in the socket. And split my pants.

Borrowed a bass from the support for the next song; the roady had taken the pickguard off my bass, removed the broken bits of plug, bolted it all together and tuned it before the end of the song. My pants remained unmended.

heh heh, I said 'jack off'

I was playing a gig in Cardiff, and it had been going really well. Feeling a bit adventurous at the end of a song, I hit the final note (a massive open E!) and decided in my youthful exuberance to do a Billy Sheehan neck bend, you know the one where he pushes the neck and body away using the tension of the strap for purchase. Hadn't tightened up my strap lock and my 2.5K custom bass plummeted to the floor with a bang. Very embarrassing. Testament to the workmanship though it was fine, with just the tiniest ding on the headstock.

Gives it character I think.

Fortunately I've never really damaged a bass badly - just my pride!

Ben

Edited by bencooper

[quote name='bencooper' timestamp='1323180952' post='1460188']
I was playing a gig in Cardiff, and it had been going really well. Feeling a bit adventurous at the end of a song, I hit the final note (a massive open E!) and decided in my youthful exuberance to do a Billy Sheehan neck bend...[/quote]

I really wanted this to end with "...and the neck snapped clean off!"

Not that I'm wishing misfortune on your bass.

I'm told that the notorious Simonon photograph (cover of London Calling) was a mistake; he thought it was his backup bass but at the moment it hit the stage he realised that he hadn't swapped, and it was his best instrument.

It would have been a better story had the neck come off...but fortunately for me it didn't. I will say the audience found it hilarious. But then they were waiting to watch Budgie so I'm not sure they should have been laughing! (Just kidding, before any Budgie fans proceed to rip my head clean off - Burke Shelley is a good player, I like the band and they were very nice guys too!).

I heard the same story about that Clash shot. Didn't he try and glue it back together or something?

[quote name='bencooper' timestamp='1323181436' post='1460201']
It would have been a better story had the neck come off...but fortunately for me it didn't. I will say the audience found it hilarious. But then they were waiting to watch Budgie so I'm not sure they should have been laughing! (Just kidding, before any Budgie fans proceed to rip my head clean off - Burke Shelley is a good player, I like the band and they were very nice guys too!).

I heard the same story about that Clash shot. Didn't he try and glue it back together or something?
[/quote]

His nephew found it in the loft and put it on Ebay.

I did a wedding, and a well payed one at that to. The first track, 2 bars of guitar then the band all come in on the 1 with tremendous punch and oomph! Only to suddenly realise that there was no sound coming out of my amp, I forgot to turn the volume up on the bass! Did that, still no sound. I also forgot to turn the mute off on the amp. Doh! Still, no one notices the bass do they?!

Dan

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1323172240' post='1460013']
Poncing like a tit at a gig I fell flat on my face and broke the jack off in the socket. And split my pants.

Borrowed a bass from the support for the next song; the roady had taken the pickguard off my bass, removed the broken bits of plug, bolted it all together and tuned it before the end of the song. My pants remained unmended.

heh heh, I said 'jack off'
[/quote]

Okay, thats a pretty effecient roadie.

Playing Stacy's Mom at the biggest gig we'd ever done, and my strap snapped mid song. I was stood holding my bass up (10lb) by the B string with my ring finger and plucking with the other 2. That was really entertaining. I got a new strap after that gig (Which is a monster of a strap btw, if there ever could be such a thing).

Liam

At a Christmas gig in Coventry a few years ago, got there very tired and a bit late having been stuck at work 100 miles away, the rest of the band had set up and soundchecked, and the place was packed to the rafters with ageing University lecturer types, so as a loud R&B / Rock n Roll outfit we werent goint to go down very well, Necked my second or third Red Bull since late afternoon, tuned me Bass, Quick pint, checked my flies, got on the stage, strapped me Bass on, turned me amp on, picked up my drink for a quick swig.

Heard a thud and a loud humming noise, must have stood frozen for 3 or 4 seconds wondering what the bloody noise was before I realised my strap had come off and my Bass was on the floor.

Rest of the gig went downhill from there. Yeah, I know - my own fault and very unprofessional. Red Bull is evil....

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1323181191' post='1460195']
I'm told that the notorious Simonon photograph (cover of London Calling) was a mistake; he thought it was his backup bass but at the moment it hit the stage he realised that he hadn't swapped, and it was his best instrument.
[/quote]

As it's a Precision always thought he was just trying to put the neck back in alignment in that photo. :)

Got my first fretless some years ago and had to learn Wherever I lay my hat for the function band. Bought effects and went all out to nail it. Took nearly a month to try and get as near as I could to it (just passable) Big night arrives, started playing, singer sings, keyboard player and guitarist then decided to come in on the key we'd actually agreed on but I'd forgotten about. 15 years later, it still gets mentioned if I see them.

Edited by leschirons

I've never had a bass [i]guitar[/i] disaster thankfully, but plenty of amp related ones. The usual "pint on top of the amp" sketch (not my pint I hasten to add) springs to mind, just before we're about to go on, said pint gets knocked over, amp goes off. So I spent the next hour with the amp in bits, holding a hair dryer, drying off Guinness covered parts. Amazingly, after an hour, once all put back together, the amp worked perfectly. Top tip for your gig bag that, a hair dryer, or better still, don't have pints on top of your amp.

I had a double whammy in one night. I got off the bus and had to go down some concrete steps to go onto the street where the venue was, I was using an Adam Black Apollo Custom at that point and if any of you have tried one you will know it weighs about the same as a block of flats so of course it breaks the straps of my gig bag and goes flying down about 6 steps (I about sh*t myself and everything went in slow motion). Luckily it wasn't hurt but whilest on stage trying to get the crowd involved and clap along my lovely leather strap snapped and sent my bass fling head first towards the stage at maximum velocity, but still nothing was broken but I didnt get to have my Bon Jovi moment that night, I just felt like a complete anus

Two spring to mind both about 20 years ago. First trying to walk (pissed and full of cold) through a door to go shout our percussionist back in from the garden (stoned and asleep by garden pond). Door Frame 1, Squier Jazz Headstock and Tuner 0. Still has scar 20 years later and Hipshot D Tuner (to replace the bent one off the G)

Second one, playing in Sheffield City Hall Ballroom (Big band gig, Motorhead were upstairs :) ) and my untrusted Carlsbro Cobra 90 was playing up. Unscrewed the front cover and inspected (live) to find Bridge Rectifier had broken solder. I pointed this out by touching said item, and blew a perfect 2mm square hole deep into my right index finger. Made the gig hard work but learned Electrical safety in one painful lesson.

Pints on amps... :)

A few years back, when I used to play the drums...
Bass player puts a full pint of Guiness on top of 8x10 stack next to me. First song, Another Brick In The Wall.
After the guitar intro, he comes in with the dropped D, at which point the said pint scuttles its way to the edge of the amp, falls on to my head and smashes. Bits of broken glass and brown liquid go flying everywhere (i'm still hitting the drums) it looked amazing but managed to cut every single band member, possibly some of the audience and my white snare drum skin become covered in spots of blood. Ever the professionals we just carried on.

Managed to survive, with only minimal head injuries and get through the rest of the gig fine - albeit stinking of Guiness and sweat (a normal night then eh?)...

Only to crash the van pulling out of the venue car park.

It wasn't one of my best gigs.

I played an open mic night, a few months ago, first time live with my new band and I played almost half a song with the volume of my bass down fully and only noticed when it was just meant to be bass playing. At the same time I noticed that my flies where undone!!! So played the rest of the gig with my bass over my crotch in the most awkward position.