Why become a member? ×

Does anyone know what this is?

ikay

I am 99% sure it is a Defil (or at least started as one)

Polish company from the cold war. Never seen one like it before but the stripe through the neck and the machine heads are a match.

There are sites devoted to them although not many, like most cold war stuff the quality ranges from mediocre to tat.

Thanks for all the feedback, particularly throwoff and observer for Defil and Cheesyguitars. From the machine heads it does indeed look like a Defil which would tie in with where it's being sold from (Poland). Listing of Defil guitars from cheesy here for anyone who's interested - [url="http://www.cheesyguitars.com/guitars_poland.html"]http://www.cheesyguitars.com/guitars_poland.html[/url]. This one is the coolest by far IMO. All I need now is a Thunderbirds tribute band

You're welcome Ikay.
I don't think so it's a Defil, tunning keys look similar but they were available in shops. By the look of pickups and the handle it's not that "vintage" in my opinion too.
I'd say it was inspired by Hohner/Steinberger and build by some "luthier" (or just carpenter sometimes), which in Poland in 80's and early 90's was only and very popular way to get yourself half decent instrument.
Looks cool but I wouldn't pay £141.00 without trying it or not knowing who really build it

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1322148557' post='1447240']
It looks like it has a tight radius on the fingerboard which is carried over to those lovely chunky pickups, so I wonder whether is has some kind of eub capability - or is maybe designed to be bowable.
[/quote]

That might also explain the rather odd position of the jack socket.