Why become a member? ×

peavey gear....very popular around here....maybe it's a norfolk thing?

iconic

I bought myself a peavey combo after being recommended by friends, and am real impressed, had a go on an active 4 string (bxp?) And was blown away, lovely thing to play and flawless build....

....I see peavey amps, pa and basses regularly here, used by very capable live bands, and it always impresses, but seems a little unfashionable elsewhere....I got to ask why?
I can't see any downsides and it seems to me these Norfolk boys are very canny buyers.

I'm sure I seem to remember peavey being very common in eighties?

Edited by iconic

I think it`s probably something o do with the pricing. Whenever something is good value for money, it invariably is seen as "budget" which is true in respect of Peaveys pricing, but not in respect of it`s sond, or quality.

The other thing is that with much of the new bass amps being manufactured lightweight, Peavey gear still weighs as much as a small planet.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1322126377' post='1446703']
The other thing is that with much of the new bass amps being manufactured lightweight, Peavey gear still weighs as much as a small planet.
[/quote]

I used to sell Peavey gear back in the 80's and wasn't too keen on it back then (I think I was using Roland seperates back then).
I revisited it about a year ago and it totally blew me away to the point where I bought one of their amp heads.

As you say, the weight is akin to a small planet, but that weight is rather reassuring - it either has a couple of lead bricks in there or the power supply is dead meaty... :)

I think it`s probably something o do with the pricing. Whenever something is good value for money, it invariably is seen as "budget" which is true in respect of Peaveys pricing, but not in respect of it`s sond, or quality.[/quote]

Agreed, kind of a shame for Peavey as they're always going to sturggle to shift anything punted at the higher end of the market due to their reputation; good news for us as we can get pro-level gear for semi-pro money!

[/quote]

Hells yes. That said, the lifting and lugging of a Black Widow-equipped cab or three kept me fully in 'skinny pretty boy' mode for five or six years of gigging.

I have Peavey cabs, bought the pair for £100. Went to pick them up about an hour away from where I live. I'm 17, hardly the strongest of people (Really tall though) and I couldn't believe how heavy they are. I really like the sound though. I was looking for a Peavey head to go with them, but ended up getting a TCE instead.

It's good stuff though, I read all the time about Peavey stuff being built like tanks, and getting good overall reviews - So when I saw two cabs for £100 I jumped on the oppurtunity. It's stuff I'll potentially have for years to come (If I choose to that is).