Why become a member? ×

I have a confession

thunderbird13

Not that exciting of course - but at rehearsal last night I realised that I'm really struggling playing a 5 string. even playing simple stuff I make too many stupid mistakes ( hittting the wrong string, not hitting the string at all etc)., I've been playing one for about a year now and I would have thought that that should be long enough to get to grips with it ( although if I've never played a gig with one)

The annoying thing is that I'm OK playing by myself but the added pressure of playing with other people makes me make more mistakes

TBH the only reason I play a 5er is because the singer always drops the keys lower and its really helpful for me to change keys

So what should I do - stick with it , give it up and go back to 4 or should I spend more time using string crossing excercises ( as opposed to practicing the set for my current band)

What do you do when you practise with it? Its possible that your practice isn't sufficiently allowing you to build knowledge of the lower string, so when it comes to performance time your focusing so much on getting stuff on the B string right that your going to make mistakes because your not relaxed

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1321443399' post='1439100']
What do you do when you practise with it? Its possible that your practice isn't sufficiently allowing you to build knowledge of the lower string, so when it comes to performance time your focusing so much on getting stuff on the B string right that your going to make mistakes because your not relaxed
[/quote]

Actually I should have said - its not the B string that gives me the problem - its A, D and G !!

OK, first caveat - I am not, never have been, bever will be a teacher - this is purely how it worked for me - I started off with 5 string concentrating on the fifth position and working on simple stuff like walking bass lines until comfortable effectively transposing stuff. From there I found it fairly straight forward moving down the neck, although I must admit, using open position did take a while longer.

This may stem from the fact that I am not very happy playing in the open position in the first place having spent many years as a rhythm guitarist in a Big Band so playing a lot in Bb, Ab and Eb.

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1321443677' post='1439106']
Actually I should have said - its not the B string that gives me the problem - its A, D and G !!
[/quote]

our posts crossed - I should add a further caveat - I very rarely venture as high as the G!!

Agree with the above posts. It sounds like it's pressure that might be the problem rather than the fifth string. Why not try and find some relaxation execises that suit you. Use them before band practice and see how that helps.

Like the idea of playing with yourself in the dark as well (Oh, shutup)

maybe your pick technique is more suited to 4 strings? ie, lots of pick movement on a bass with tight string spacing would be difficult.

It might be worth watching players such as anthony jackson use a pick, he has barely any motion in his arm or wrist when he does. Or go back to fingerstyle.

Also a good way to get used to 5 string basses, play scales over 3 octaves using every string

[size=5][sup]i think it took me about 2 years to get fully comfortable and i was gigging about 2-3 times a week.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]the only reason i changed was also because of a singer changing keys,but i am so happy i stuck with it.[/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]the tip about playing in the fith fret is cool it helped me alot[/sup][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You can do two things: [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You need to get some confidence back when playing this instrument, so forget the B string and just play the top 4 strings. Imagine and play it like a 4 string. Stick your thumb on the B string and don’t play it, then, when you’re happy, gradually introduce B string notes. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Or, just put in the hours. Starting on the wrong string is a common problem. It just means you need to improve your technique and visualise the fretboard as a bunch of notes, not shapes starting from the bottom string.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1321531801' post='1440194']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You can do two things: [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You need to get some confidence back when playing this instrument, so forget the B string and just play the top 4 strings. Imagine and play it like a 4 string. Stick your thumb on the B string and don’t play it, then, when you’re happy, gradually introduce B string notes. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Or, just put in the hours. Starting on the wrong string is a common problem. It just means you need to improve your technique and visualise the fretboard as a bunch of notes, not shapes starting from the bottom string.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

That sounds like good advice.

Thing is, I start to feel comfortable on the 5 then when I go back to the 4 with its luxurious spacing and shallow neck I feel like I've taken off a big heavy coat and a pair of wellies. And a diving helmet.

OK, I've been playing bass (4 string) for 40 years, give or take. Year before last I decided I'd give it a go on a 5 string. Decided what I wanted and waited several months for delivery. It finally arrived, it looked great and sounded awesome. Spent a few months at home getting used to it before using it in the real world...

To cut a long story short...I ditched it! I wasn't enjoying playing it. It was a bit like living with and loving a woman for 40 years, only to wake up one morning with another...great fun to start with, but the novelty soon wears off.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1321533015' post='1440214']
OK, I've been playing bass (4 string) for 40 years, give or take. Year before last I decided I'd give it a go on a 5 string. Decided what I wanted and waited several months for delivery. It finally arrived, it looked great and sounded awesome. Spent a few months at home getting used to it before using it in the real world...

To cut a long story short...I ditched it! I wasn't enjoying playing it. It was a bit like living with and loving a woman for 40 years, only to wake up one morning with another...great fun to start with, but the novelty soon wears off.
[/quote]

Could have been worse, like waking up with a woman and finding she has a little extra something down below :)

I had to stop playing 4 stringers for about 6 months to get used to only playing 5 stringers. And then when I went back to 4 strings I'd get confused again on both.

It took a while but suddenly I noticed I was having no problems going between 4 and 5, although 6 strings still throws me a bit. I probably need to go through the same process with 6.

To put it short, no matter how you look at it - you are playing the way you are practising (as rough as it sounds).

You have to make your practice more efficient, first of all, stop watching TV, take incoming calls, look after kids, surf Basschat anything.. Then, concentrating on the practice process itself, and do the right exercises. It seems that you don't really know how to cure your problem, so your best bet would be getting a teacher - a good teacher would notice your issues even without telling him at first, just by playing.

You might want to read this and that;
http://www.joehubbardbass.com/494/finger-dexterity-exercises-for-bass-guitar/
http://www.joehubbardbass.com/332/bass-guitar-practice-principles-part-1/
http://www.joehubbardbass.com/317/bass-attributes-part-2/

take care,
Laimis