Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle & Dumping The Pick

spongebob

I've been playing for a fair while now (early 90's) and although I started playing fingerstyle, I've been using a pick for most of that time.

Just found it easier, and that it suited the kind of stuff I was doing.

However, in recent months I seem to have changed my playing style. I used to play Rics, have switched to Precisions exclusively at the start of 2011, and have found that the change has given me more versatility in the way that I play.

At recent band practices, I've been doing more and more songs without the pick....and TBH, it sounds a lot better. Whereas sometimes I've struggled to be heard, the fingerstyle has allowed for a whole lot more bass in the tone....and hey presto....I can cut right alongside our (very loud and very mid-dy) guitarist. Pick songs then sounded thin in comparison.

I appreciate I'm talking to the converted here, but I just found it interesting as to how you can play for years, and still find room to change what you do and how you sound.

Now, more's the pity, I'll have to practice more.....!! :)

Do both and keep the pick going..but have a word with the gtr about encroaching on your sonic space...
The first thing a decent gtr should do if he knows where he overpowers a mix, is adjust his sound accordingly. This means, roll off some of that bass.

First rule of... IMO.

I've just started going the other way! After playing fingerstyle since about 1974 I've just started experimenting playing with a pick.
I've always done a bit on guitar too, so (trying to do)the technique isn't new to me.
I'm loving that 'clicky' sound with a roll of felt under the strings by the bridge too.

I'll give you a wave as our trains pass going in opposite directions!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1321356269' post='1438093']
I've just started going the other way! After playing fingerstyle since about 1974 I've just started experimenting playing with a pick.
I've always done a bit on guitar too, so (trying to do)the technique isn't new to me.
I'm loving that 'clicky' sound with a roll of felt under the strings by the bridge too.

[/quote]

:)

Agree that a happy medium is good, gives extra versatility.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1321356269' post='1438093']

[/quote]

Me too, posted a thread about this tone recently and am now about to add it to my repertoire.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1321356805' post='1438101']

Me too, posted a thread about this tone recently and am now about to add it to my repertoire.
[/quote]

I saw it! It inspired me to 'pick' it up.
It's all your fault that my drummer said 'sounds too f****ing Nashville to me'.
He is a miserable git though. He makes George Harrison seem like Timmy Mallet.

No conversions here - played with a pick forever, and always will. I can play fingerstyle, too, and do on a couple of songs, but they're the exception rather than the rule. I find the exact opposite in a band situation; the pick allows cleaner attack and better definition for (most of) the stuff we play. Was chatting about this with the band the other day, and they said the same thing.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1321356805' post='1438101']
[/quote]

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1321357177' post='1438107']
I saw it! It inspired me to 'pick' it up.
It's all your fault that my drummer said 'sounds too f****ing Nashville to me'.
He is a miserable git though. He makes George Harrison seem like Timmy Mallet.
[/quote]

:)

Drummers, bless 'em!

I mostly play with my fingers and my thumb, but increasingly I play a lot more with a hard pick too, it's just a sound that just works so well. On my new album I used a pick on one or two tunes to try and emulate Carol Kaye's tone on 'Pet Sounds', loads of reverb, short delay, all played through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp and with a chunk of foam stuffed in under the bridge of my bass.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1321364325' post='1438217']
Any top tips for someone who's been playing fingerstyle for (mumble) years and wants to try a pick?
[/quote]

Yes Breman! Try and play what you would regularly play with your fingers, but with a pick instead. This sounds a bit obvious but a lot of people only reach for the pick when they're playing the driving 1/8th notes, whereas if you familiarise yourself with lines you already know then it will make the whole process easier. I would say this was the best way of subconsciously developing the ability to accent the right notes at the right time as well, as you'll find when you start practicing with a pick that upstrokes don't have the same attack as your downstrokes. Crossing strings can be tough too, another reason to practice what you would usually with your fingers with a pick instead.

Listen to the Beach Boys, Carol Kaye manages to be incredibly melodic whilst playing with a hard pick and I can't really think of a better example of pick playing than what she recorded on 'Pet Sounds'.

Any top tips for someone who's been playing fingerstyle for (mumble) years and wants to try a pick?
[/quote]

Try some Extreme!

I love playing with a pick [i]and[/i] fingers. I use both as well as loads of pedals to create loads of different tones. Limiting yourself just to one is fine for some bands I suppose.

I recorded a band recently, and the bassist who always played fingerstyle at gigs used a pick in the studio. I asked him why and he just said "I don't know, it just sounds better when I record" and he was deffinitely right. It all depends on the song/band/sound in question I suppose.

[/quote]
Buy one & try it. I tend to go for .74mm picks, but will play with any thickness.
Same advice as to playing using any other method, start simple & then do alternating strings & so on. The pick is a useful tool to have.

I've been playing with both recently, but find that on my '77 with Roto Steels, unless I use a cheap plastic pick it sounds really scratchy. the P (with flats) sounds fantastic picked with a thick tortex.

I'm sure it's because I'm not picking perpendicular to the strings, more on an angle, but how do I fix that - any tips?

Edited by fatboyslimfast

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' timestamp='1321366046' post='1438246']
I've been playing with both recently, but find that on my '77 with Roto Steels, unless I use a cheap plastic pick it sounds really scratchy. the P (with flats) sounds fantastic picked with a thick tortex.

I'm sure it's because I'm not picking perpendicular to the strings, more on an angle, but how do I fix that - any tips?
[/quote]

This is exactly the problem I have.

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' timestamp='1321366046' post='1438246']

[/quote]

What helped me with this one was raising the bass by shortening the strap. This way my picking-arm elbow was lower in relation to the bass and I had more flexibility in the wrist.
Could just be my natural limp-wristedness though.

Try sitting the heel of your hand on the bridge (which, moved forward a little, is great for muting) - that'll help keep your angle of attack consistent. Strap length will help to settle your angle, too. With a lot of practice, you can get up and downstrokes very consistent, which helps, too.

I find the hardest thing to do with a pick is disco-style octave triplets across three strings, but then that's what yer fingers are for :)