Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle & Dumping The Pick

spongebob

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1321529464' post='1440151']
I think the ability to do both is always an advantage. I was a 95% pick player for 15 years, until 2009/10 when I started to want to play fingerstyle. Then I joined a new band this year and basically forced myself to not take a pick.

I'm still MUCH faster with a pick...really fast. But I enjoy fingerstyle more.
[/quote]

Indeed its not all about the speed. Finger work is much more pleasurable bass experience,even more so when im watching some who is really good.

Would love to say that I'm 50/50 but the originals band mostly requires the sound of a pick whilst the covers band is playing less and less which needed more finger style.

I also use 3mm big stubbies but quite like sound of those Ibanez Sand Grip ones.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1321391074' post='1438684']
I mostly play with fingers but I do like those Big Stubbies.
[/quote]

I use the 3mm and they are great.. I started on fingers for over 20years and then brought the pick in my arsenal 10 years ago... both is best.. You should able to play any song well on pick or with finger.. then you can choose what is best for the song... some people say they use a pick for volume.. my OP on the that is strengthen your fingers!! I can get some serious volume from my fingers.. I use the pick for a pick style sound.. like someone would use a chorus pedal for a chorus sound..