Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a band

TRBboy

I love the Chili's, and I love Flea's playing, but I've realised that I haven't actually got much similar music by other bands.

Are there any similar bands?

If anyone's got any suggestions for good funk/rock bands with great bass parts, I'd love to hear them!

If you like funk et al, check out some of the 'jam' band scene with the likes of:

Stanton Moore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8d7-VJ0dQ4&feature=related

Charlie Hunter (with Skerik)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmUeZkr9H4k

Most of these band's actively encourage recording of their gig's, and loads of high quality recordings are available for free on the [url="http://www.archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=%2Fmetadata%2Fcreator"]Internet Archive[/url].

[quote name='brick' timestamp='1321298263' post='1437524']
Infectious Grooves (Robert Trujillo's funk/rock side project) and also TM Stevens might be worth a listen
[/quote]

^ Maybe also check out Trujillo's playing with Suicidal Tendencies. Might be on the heavy side, but funky nonetheless.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1321370517' post='1438319']
Incubus - A certain shade of Green album is a stonker for funky basslines. In fact any of theirs up til and including the Morning View album is all very very good!
[/quote]
SCIENCE is an amazing album, yes - and DIrk Lance played some really funky stuff up to and inc. Morning View, as you said. Still, Ben Kenney is no slouch and Incubus have been great since then too - IMO - minus possibly the newest album.

Thanks guys! Yeah I'd forgotten about Incubus, I am actually quite a big fan! Saw them a few years ago with Ben Kenney on bass, they were awesome!

Listened to SCIENCE on the way home from work today, it is a great album with some great bass playing. I'd forgotten just how meaty some of the riffs on that album are!

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1322043409' post='1445660']
As mentioned in another thread, Violent & Funky is my nemesis!
[/quote]

Why's that? Are you learning to play it? That bass sounds ridiculously difficult to me.

Edit for stupidity.

Further edit - What about M.I.R.V. and Primus? Not very similar to RHCP but could just about be described as funk rock and both are wicked

Edited by rOB