Why become a member? ×

WAL Basses - Thinking of taking a dip Views?

bassatnight

I have been offered a custom active early 80's for just under two grand, she has some wear to the frets and is not in top condition although electrics are fine. Was just wondering how much it would cost to either defret her or have her returned to great condition by Wal. I could of course ask Wal myself but thought some of the Wal heads on here might have some good advice either way.

I was in the Gallery on Thursday, and asked a very similar question.

I was told that a re-fret/de-fret would be about £150, plus a further £40 or so if I wanted the side-dots moved.

Obviously that can't be used as a "quote" in your case, but it's a decent indication.

The big problem with Paul is not so much price as how incredibly busy he is. You could be in for a long wait.

IMO it doesn't have to be one of the well known guys doing the job - I know an excellent luthier in East Anglia - he's on the reccomended list here - who would do an exceptional job. Don't think it would be cheaper but certainly a bit quicker (and possibly nearer). PM me if you want contact details.

Mike

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'm no expert but, without seeing the pictures that seems like a reasonable price. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'd buy the bass and get the re-fret done but I'd leave the "player wear". If it looks good you'll be too scared to take it out on a gig. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1321223675' post='1436773']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'm no expert but, without seeing the pictures that seems like a reasonable price. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'd buy the bass and get the re-fret done but I'd leave the "player wear". If it looks good you'll be too scared to take it out on a gig. [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Yup. Sounds pretty good to me too.

Actually took mine down to the Gallery once to get them to 'clean it up'. "What for?" came the immediate reply.

As to buying it, it's a bit like being a car nut and getting a Porsche - they have this reputation for greatness, but until you try one you'll never really understand why.

If you can afford it, do it. The worst that can happen is that you don't like it, and sell it for what you paid for it.

[size=5][sup]I've just bought the 5-string fretless Wal currently listed on The Gallery's web-site, and they're fretting it for me.[/sup]

[sup]I only made the decision to buy after Alex confirmed that the bass was originally fretted, and that Martin had de-fretted it for the previous owner.[/sup]

[sup]As far as I am concerned, I am "having it restored" rather than fretting a fretless.[/sup][/size]

[sup][size=4][size=5]There's a time and place to be pedantic ... and this is it[/size]. [/size] :) [/sup]

Edited by Happy Jack

I can't tell you what to do. But I can recommend the Gallery for the work. If you decide to go there I'm sure you'll be happy with the work they do, and they'll take on board what you need and discuss it with you. I can't vouch for Wal or anyone else in the area unfortunately. Hope you get on ok.. Fz

[quote name='fingerz' timestamp='1321630866' post='1441456']
I can't tell you what to do. But I can recommend the Gallery for the work. If you decide to go there I'm sure you'll be happy with the work they do, and they'll take on board what you need and discuss it with you. I can't vouch for Wal or anyone else in the area unfortunately. Hope you get on ok.. Fz
[/quote]
Ditto, I believe it was the gallery who did the mods to my Lakland and a very good job they did

Cheers for all the good advice guys. I took the plunge but there is plenty of life left in the frets. Apart from the odd skuff she is in very good nick. Not sure of the year but by the serial number she is either a late 81 or an early 82 custom.

Bloody heavy! But the tones are awesome!

A lined ebony neck from Wal is a grand!

Edited by bassatnight

Have a look / register if on the [url="http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html"]Wal Database[/url]

Might home you in on the year a bit, mind it's not an exact science by the look of it. I was pretty sure mine was '82 which is about right on the d/b but there is an earlier number showing as '83 and a later on as '81, so....

Main thing is if you've found a good'un enjoy it :) I had semi retired mine when I got the G&L 5's but took it out for r/h's and a proggy gig I normally use all three for as the only one and it was bl00dy lovely :)

Pete used to have a book with details of all his instruments in. I assume Paul Herman has inherited it (Unless anybody knows different?)

Alternatively, the details should be written on a strip attached to the inside of the electronics cavity cover plate at the back of the instrument. Just unscrew it and turn it over. Or perhaps you've done this already?