Why become a member? ×

Is it worth getting courier insurance on a £700 bass?

CBbass

So I just sold a bass on here, didn't get insurance cover for £30 on top of £10 I paid... now I'm paranoid TNT might lose my parcel. Just wondering what other people do.

I need to know before tomorrow though as that's collection day, I still can cover it.

Cheers.

i always take enhanced insurance on anything £100 or over, standard courier cover is only £15 per kilo so not much on a 6kg bass
from tnt terms

[b]14 VALUABLE GOODS[/b]

You should not send valuable goods such as precious stones, precious metals, jewellery, money, negotiable instruments, unprotected furniture, glass or china, objects of art, antiques and important documents that include passports, tenders, share and option certificates through our network delivery system because it involves the use of mechanical handling and automated sortation equipment together with multiple transhipments on and off vehicles which could result in loss and/or damage. If you nevertheless send, or cause us to send, such goods through our network delivery system it shall be at your own risk.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1320096393' post='1422387']

A 'negotiable instrument' is a bit like a cheque - it is a promissory note or guarantee of payment, a bank draft.
[/quote]

Thanks. I was imagining it was something like 'you can have my Warwick for twenty quid, an X reg Fiesta and a go on my missus, but we'll have to discuss the latter'

Hi guys, to follow up - I ordered the rip off insurance. If anything happened, it's too big of a risk for a loss I can afford (i'd essentially be bassless! :) ). At least I'll have a better peice of mind now.

I saved the live chat log where a support representative clearly states I'm covered for all damage up to £100 loss of item £1000. It's fairly well packed so I doubt I'll get any damage, unless they drive a forklift truck over it!

Cheers.

chances on the forklift damamge are actually are very real, ive had more than a few payouts from claims with damaged and missing items, all of which had enhanced liability insurance on i would not have had a hope in hell of a claim without the cover, i even had a front bumper from a subaru "lost", Bearing in mind it was probably nearly 4 ft in lenght lol i can hardly see it slipping through the rollers on the conveyer belts in the hubs lol

good descision on the enhanced insurance sleep well :-)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1320136432' post='1422629']
Has anybody ever had a payout on a insured bass getting damaged/lost/stolen/delivered to wrong place/just plain disappeared?
[/quote]

I had a payout on a damaged EA cab shipped via Interparcel. Stupidly I'd stuck with the base £50 cover which wouldn't go anywhere near getting the custom driver fixed properly.

Ended up getting the £50 + original fee back (£58 in total) which went some way towards replacing the driver with a suitable neo one so I didn't end up losing out in the end but the lesson is there - get the appropriate cover or risk being very disappointed.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1320136432' post='1422629']
Has anybody ever had a payout on a insured bass getting damaged/lost/stolen/delivered to wrong place/just plain disappeared?
[/quote]

Yes. Had an early Ric 4001V63 sent from the States several years back and it never arrived. Took me a year to get the money back though and by then the exchange rate had changed so much I lost nearly £200. Luckily when I got the cash a nice '73 4000 had just appeared in a local shop at exactly that amount. :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1320143809' post='1422749']

I had a payout on a damaged EA cab shipped via Interparcel. Stupidly I'd stuck with the base £50 cover which wouldn't go anywhere near getting the custom driver fixed properly.

Ended up getting the £50 + original fee back (£58 in total) which went some way towards replacing the driver with a suitable neo one so I didn't end up losing out in the end but the lesson is there - get the appropriate cover or risk being very disappointed.
[/quote]

This is interesting. I use interparcel and always take out enhanced cover when I post anything. However, their list of prohibited items specifically mentions items with magnets or magnetic material in - which would include speakers and pickups I would have thought.

Edited by chaypup