Why become a member? ×

Orange TB1000 vs Hartke Kilo??

aidanhallbass

Hi

I am needing a new head to go on my Ashdown ABM 410t and 115, I cant decide between the two I have narrowed down..

I am liking what I hear about Orange's tone but there's the lack of EQ however I like the simplicity but the Kilo has loads of stuff built in and is Hartke, which I have used before and really rated the LH1000..Just can't decide which one would be the better!

Any thoughts??

I`ve not had or used either, but have had a Terror 500, and a Hartke HA4000. My opinions of both:

OTB - insanely loud, great tone, incredibly easy to cart about, but, if looking for any kind of versatility, pedals needed.
HA - very powerful, incredibly versatile, can dial in any kind of clean sound, pedal needed for "grit".

If it were me, dependent on how it sounds of course, I`d probably go for the Hartke, purely as I found, in my view, the OTB just had the one sound - though it was darn good. Whilst I only ever use the one sound, I like that kind of restriction to be imposed by me, not the amp.

Ive tried the 500w OTB and a Hartke HA5500. In my opinion the Hartke is better. As the other poster mentioned the OTB has one sound (for me think a bee stuck in an empty ale can and a microphone over the hole) really poor attempt at trying to mimic a valve amp. The Hartke however has many options and with the valve option on the pre-amp/gain you can get a really warm punchy sound

im not really digging the sound of the orange bass terror, i have one and use one all the time, but i use a seperate preamp into the effects return, its really really loud, just hard to get any decent sounds from it, but i EQ quite heavily.

If it helps, I have one of the first Kilos out in the wild here in the UK and I am loving it! I'm currently A/Bing it with my LH1000 and for the sake of other gear, I have an MB F1 to throw in to the compare mix. I think in coming weeks it will be likely that the Kilo will be the 'go to' amp for me. Hugely flexible and tonally rich. I'm yet to crank it but I expect it will probably be using the same two 500W modules from the LH head to drive it's wall caving capabilities!

I have both at my disposal and am currently in the market too.

I'm going Bass Terror at the moment. With the SP410 cab.

The Kilo, after the wait...etc, I dunno, I just wasn't bowled over. It is really cool looking though.

With the Orange, I was ready to write it off, but It left me plesently surprised.

That's my opinion.

I took delivery of my Kilo yesterday & tried it at practice last night through my Matamp 6x10, I bought it to give me more options than my OTB 500 which I found a little too dirty at the volume we play at (I.e "LOUD!) happy to say it delivers in spades.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1320153662' post='1422986']
If it helps, I have one of the first Kilos out in the wild here in the UK and I am loving it! I'm currently A/Bing it with my LH1000 and for the sake of other gear, I have an MB F1 to throw in to the compare mix. I think in coming weeks it will be likely that the Kilo will be the 'go to' amp for me. Hugely flexible and tonally rich. I'm yet to crank it but I expect it will probably be using the same two 500W modules from the LH head to drive it's wall caving capabilities!
[/quote]

I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!

a.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1320516021' post='1427888']
Hey Andy, I see you'll have one soon though right? Yay!
[/quote]

DOOD. We are still waiting for your demo my friend :)

And will you be reviewing the OTB with your 6 string? If you do i will buy you a cake :) Been wanting to hear or at least see someone with more than 5 strings use one!

Heh heh! Yes sorry about the review lateness, I've been really busy writing for the next issue of Guitar Interactive Magazine. Any amps and effects that I review will be, as far as possible with my 6er, though sometimes that may not be possible. I'll let you know when I know more and will post my review soon.. Up to my neck in DIY and recording for a new band too which is taking up lots (of exciting) time.

Kilo is sounding great. It has a natural fullness and lots of girth in the low end. Oh and mine likes to drive hard past the clip light .. I stop it just short of breaking up as the valves start to compress a bit! That's even before I use any of the other functions!

• 3 months later...

As promised - I've reviewed the OTB 500 and my colleague the Hartke Kilo both in the brand new issue (7) of the FREE Guitar Interactive Magazine.

Check out http://www.iguitarmag.com

To go straight to my Bass department click 'ere:

http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/iguitarmag-issue-7-johnny-marr-guitar-interactive/issue7/page/152

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1328893534' post='1534544']
As promised - I've reviewed the OTB 500 and my colleague the Hartke Kilo both in the brand new issue (7) of the FREE Guitar Interactive Magazine.

Check out [url="http://www.iguitarmag.com"]http://www.iguitarmag.com[/url]

To go straight to my Bass department click 'ere:

[url="http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/iguitarmag-issue-7-johnny-marr-guitar-interactive/issue7/page/152"]http://licklibrary.c...issue7/page/152[/url]
[/quote]

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Is the MSRP stated correct? Of £361.20 ?

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1328967614' post='1535394']
It better not be lol! Cheapest I've seen it was £666 when I got mine from DV247.
[/quote]

Haha if it was i'd be ordering one NOW!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1328975075' post='1535522']
Oh dear! That one slipped through the net! I really don't think it is no! I'll let 'em know!
[/quote]

Oh wells! haha, what do i get as compensation? ;) (For the loss of a EXTRA MEGA Bargin amp! As it's a nab as it is!)