Why become a member? ×

Shameless Plug! - (free and win free stuff) Guitar Interactive Magazine new issue BASS DEPT!

Dood

Yes indeed, it's a shameless plug - but I'm very excited! It's one of three awesome things that have happened today that I am over the moon about!

For the last six months, maybe more I have been 'working' with the Guitar Interactive Magazine guys [url="http://www.iguitarmag.com"]http://www.iguitarmag.com[/url] getting material ready for something they have had planned for, well, since Licklibrary began I guess. It seems the company were looking for a bright, interesting, experienced, knowledgeable, sexy, talented Bass player to head up their new venture.. guffaw!

So, given they couldn't find that person, I was asked ..well, actually told if I am honest that I will be their guy to face The 'Bassment', the brand new bass section in this online magazine! - Um, for those who haven't seen the magazine already, you flick through but can watch videos or reviews, interviews and columns as well as the written text that you'd usually get with an off the shelf mag.

I have an introduction on the home page of the website and my features begin later on in the mag.. my very own section! GULP!!

Right, rambling over, here's the direct link to the magazine: [url="http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue5/page/1"]http://licklibrary.c...g/issue5/page/1[/url]

please do have a read and be gentle with me! These are my first reviews so will be perfecting my 'technque' as time goes on, but I certainly welcome constructive criticism!

Oh the other two things? Well, earlier today I found my favourite hat that went missing for three weeks.. ok, I lost it! might not seem that exciting to everyone else, but I LOVE this big saggy hat!! - The third item.. well, you'll have to wait until it arrives on my doorstep for a review, but I know some of you will be very interested! :)

Ok, Thank you for reading and please, it'd be great if you could post links out for me so the editor thinks I'm great! :)

[b]EDIT: I missed the competition on page 192 to win a years worth of strings and accessories! GET IN!![/b]

It's online only I'm afraid, but I guess that does mean you can't accidentally throw it away! As for prices, I believe it is because the magazine is international and thus having a list of ever changing prices in different currencies would prove ineffective.

It's not reall a metal driven magazine. I think this particular edition has some metally features and columns but there will no doubt be space for everyone! The list of artists I want to interview is certainly varied between genres.

I'd be happy to put forward reasonable suggestions for reviews and interviews too be it gear or artists.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1319488909' post='1414900']
It's online only I'm afraid, but I guess that does mean you can't accidentally throw it away! As for prices, I believe it is because the magazine is international and thus having a list of ever changing prices in different currencies would prove ineffective.

It's not reall a metal driven magazine. I think this particular edition has some metally features and columns but there will no doubt be space for everyone! The list of artists I want to interview is certainly varied between genres.

I'd be happy to put forward reasonable suggestions for reviews and interviews too be it gear or artists.
[/quote]

I'd have thought the manufacturers would give you a list price for stuff you'd be able to translate between $/£/Euros but there we go.

Looking forward to seeing a more diverse range of music styles covered, let us know when the next issue is out.

Nice review of the Mark Bass Randy Jackson Valve Amp and Cab.

It's refreshing to see and hear someone reviewing who is not throwing all their chops at the Bass in a "look at me" style but just concentrating on what the Amp's features are and demonstrating them to the viewer, via some straight- forward playing.

I notice Bass Gear at Twyford have the new RJ Amp and Cabinet in stock!

That's very kind of you to say so! That's kinda what I had in mind too! I've always believed that it isn't right to use tutoring sessions as a way of boosting your own ego with a bit of woodshedding and I've taken the same view with the magazine. Yes, there will be times when I will be asked to demo playing styles etc, but reviewing gear isn't the place to get all showy.. Readers are not looking to buy me after all, but rather the amp gear!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1319654133' post='1416962']
One thing I do find frustrating with these online mags is that the un-enlarged version is just too small for me to read and when you click on a page to zoom it, it then is so large you have to drag and shuffle it across the screen...or am I being a techno-numpty?
[/quote]
No you're not. This is why I asked if there was a print version too, because visually this looks like a printed magazine that has been quickly "repurposed" for web viewing. IMO there is absolutely no need to be lumbered with the traditional print style layout in a "publication" that is only going to delivered on line. The format is all wrong for most user's screens which are much wider than they are high which is why you are having the problem where you can either view the whole "spread" or read the body text but not both. Might wotk OK on a 27" iMac screen but on most laptops it's unusable.

BTW the turning page animation was cheesy when it first appeared 10 or so years ago and it's tired and cheesy now.

I have a massive list of things that are wrong with the design of this magazine and plenty of ideas on how it could be improved for it's chosen delivery medium, but as doing stuff like this is how I make most of my living, I don't intend to give them away for free...

Edited by BigRedX

Strange! It's perfect on my screens! Not saying you're wrong or anything like that but I've not experienced any headaches with the layout of this or any other 'virtual magazine' - such as Bass Gear Mag.

Anyway, that wasn't what I came to the thread for actually! I just wanted to say that iGuitarMag is advertising on BassChat and you can click the banner at the top of the front page to get to their site.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1319907197' post='1420034']
Bless you! That's very thoughtful! Thank you - Someone send this man some free stuff! :)
[/quote]

You're the one working at the magazine with the endorsements :) Haha! Kidding my good man!

Credit where credit is due! You're bucking the trend of reviewers and it's wonderful!

• 3 weeks later...