Why become a member? ×

Rack Set Ups

Dave D

I'm sure that there is a 'Whats in your rack?' type of thread on here, but i'm damned if i can find it!

So i suppose the question then is..........'Whats in your rack?

I'm looking at just fitting my Ampeg SVT7, a tuner (if i ever find one) and a chorus. Not really sure if i need a wireless. In the venues i play in, i'm generally about 2ft away from the cab as the stages are so small!

• 2 weeks later...

I have one 1u rack space left and I can't decide whether to put a power conditioner/distributor with lights in there or a tuner. The trouble is that my rig never leaves the house. I have an 8u rack which also has my guitar rig in it, which takes up 3 spaces. So, ideally, I need to get a separate 4u for the guitar stuff, so I can include a stereo EQ and a separate 6u for the bass stuff uncluding my amp (2u), effects unit (2u), tuner and power thingumy. And if I ever get off my ar*e and into a band, that's what I shall do.

my situation has changed since the original post.
the ampeg is no more and has a hartke kilo destined to replace it, which is a 3u. so with only 1u remaining i'm going to try it with a midiverb 4 i have been gifted. it seems to give me what i need, just want to try it at volume.

I've given up on the tuner front for now. The Boss pedal is very easy to use live so i'll probably stick with that.

And if anybody wants to buy a 6 colour LED rack light, never used, let me know. I have one kicking around................

[quote name='DrDave' timestamp='1319806673' post='1418807']
my situation has changed since the original post.
the ampeg is no more and has a hartke kilo destined to replace it, which is a 3u. so with only 1u remaining i'm going to try it with a midiverb 4 i have been gifted. it seems to give me what i need, just want to try it at volume.

I've given up on the tuner front for now. The Boss pedal is very easy to use live so i'll probably stick with that.

And if anybody wants to buy a 6 colour LED rack light, never used, let me know. I have one kicking around................
[/quote]

Just wondering, what's that midiverb4 like? It looks pretty neat!

My 4U rack case has one space free, the first three being taken up by the Fafner. I have always been tempted to get something to fill the space. It would probably have to be an overdrive circuit or valve preamp of some kind since I have no need for an additional compressor or tuner. Mind you almost three years on and its still empty.

• 6 months later...

my rack is slowly filling up..2 x DBS 7400 heads, 1 no abm 300 evo 2, behringer tuner with downlight, sennheiser iem set up, filter pro coming this week and searching for a tc electronics g major or a good delay rackmount...1 2u drawer unit houses mics and iem receivers.

Edited by Dudgeman

2 Racks of 3u each.

One houses a TF550-B and a Korg Tuner and the other houses
an SWR SM400 with Korg tuner. Only take one out at a time, which is the Thunderfunk, the other makes up my practice/spare rig at home.

I could do with swapping out the 3u case for a shallower case..

I'll be honest here... I've considered building a rack setup purely because they look cool! :P

I decided against it because I prefer having everything at my feet, and I like how my amp head fits into the little laptop slot at the back of my rucksack :D

At the moment, a Warwick ProFet 5.1 and a laptop bag (Perfect size to fit in the spare 2U when it's full of cables and stuff), though it will be emptied later this week as i need my head on Friday and the rack is too big and bulky to fit anywhere. It's moving into a 2U next week though.

I planned out a whole rack setup, that ended up at something like 8 or 10U, but it's just too big. Like Chris, i prefer everything at my feet, it weighs less and is much less bulky, which is always a bonus.

Liam

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1336545975' post='1647132']
I'll be honest here... I've considered building a rack setup purely because they look cool! :P

I decided against it because I prefer having everything at my feet, and I like how my amp head fits into the little laptop slot at the back of my rucksack :D
[/quote]

I agree..this is at my feet...I know there is a pedalboard thread, I wont show this again.
[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/20120509_171306.jpg[/IMG]

20u case

Samson PB10 Pro power conditioner - 1u
AKG wireless - 1u
2 x 15 band equaliser - 1u
Aphex Aural Exciter 103a harmonic enhancer - 1u
Yamaha SPX90 mk 2 effects processor - 1u
Locking rack drawer - 2u
Gallien Kreuger 700RB II head - 2u
Korg DTR1000 tuner - 1u
Behringer t1952 stereo valve compressor/limiter - 2u
6u free which will house a 3u power amp and a couple of other bits
Pedal board tray - 2u

And that's my MK3 rig! I doubt it'll be the same come this time next year.

I love having my stuff in a rack. I do have a multi-effects pedal thing and a separate Distortion/Chorus pedal (for Guitar, not Bass), but they both sit on top of an amp so that I can fiddle with the knobs without breaking my back, they never sit on the floor to be used as actual pedals.

1u - Behringer Ultra-Q Pro - Equaliser, only used occationally.
1u - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - Use for recording, sometimes also used as a pre-amp.
2u - Peavey IPR1600 - Power AMP for bass Cabs

[quote name='Dudgeman' timestamp='1336520500' post='1647080']
my rack is slowly filling up..2 x DBS 7400 heads, 1 no abm 300 evo 2, behringer tuner with downlight, sennheiser iem set up, filter pro coming this week and searching for a tc electronics g major or a good delay rackmount...1 2u drawer unit houses mics and iem receivers.

[/quote]

Is that the non-rack ABM300 in a rack? I ask because I thought the rack version is chrome not blue. If so, how did you do it?

Edited by thepurpleblob

Yes it is a non rack version....I took the unit out of it's housing..(obviously...lol) A guy on here very kindly sent me 2 standard "L" brackets that fit the rack holes...I had to make some packers ( some resin board I use at work ) to take up the slack between the brackets and the amp. Then there is a lip that runs round the amp so I (very carefully) drilled through the lot and used self tapping screws to attach the brackets to the amp. It sounds complicated but actually it was pretty straight forward. It is really strong...the amp is surprisingly light without its box and all the heavy stuff is all sited towards the front panel so there isn't that much of a cantilever effect.

It is easy take out and I can remove the brackets and put it back in its original housing whenever I want. Also when I take it for servicing it is already exposed!

I will take a couple of pictures and put them up on here for you if you like?

No problem...The resin board is actually a new form of blackboard on the market..I think it is 6mm thick..I needed exactly 2 bits per side to pack it to exactly the right width..I am in the workshop tomorrow so I'll measure the thickness....just one thing..watch the length of the self tapping screws...you have to be a bit careful...take a good look at where you can drill first..It is fairly obvious as the whole of the inside of the unit is accessible once out of its box.