Why become a member? ×

Desirability of budget brand bass's

bozzie

I've recently been restoring a Westone Thunder 1A, for me it was one of the best budget basses around in the 80's, price wise they are costing as much now for a second hand one as i paid , ummm several years ago brand new. It seem's loads of people talk highly of them, and remember them as good basses in there day.

I seem to recall another bass that wasn't expensive back then was an Ibanez roadster 2 series, I had one of these too, it was a great playable bass.

Any others, people remember and why are they so desirable, am I trying to regain my youth, lol, that left years ago....... :)

Guest bassman7755

Quality of budget instruments is way higher today than when I first played 30 odd years ago. A £170 chinese bass/guitar is probably as good as a £3/400 instrument then, and that without allowing for inflation.

But fortunes can be changed. Tanglewood were not exactly high in my estimation a couple of years back, yet with the beautiful instruments they are creating for Overwater, it really shows what they are capable of - no one on here would give them bad rep for those.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318589594' post='1403998']
First-ever guitar was made by 'KAY', and frankly it was rubbish.
Played it through a Woolworth's 'AUDITION' amp, and frankly it was rubbish.
Hooray for the 1970s! Not.
[/quote]

Likwise. The Kay was a completely useless instrument.It didn't even burn well.

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1318590777' post='1404025']
But fortunes can be changed. Tanglewood were not exactly high in my estimation a couple of years back, yet with the beautiful instruments they are creating for Overwater, it really shows what they are capable of - no one on here would give them bad rep for those.
[/quote]
the acoustics have been great for years....

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1318589932' post='1404003']
Quality of budget instruments is way higher today than when I first played 30 odd years ago. A £170 chinese bass/guitar is probably as good as a £3/400 instrument then, and that without allowing for inflation.
[/quote]
I'll take that concept into blasphemous range. Many Asian cheapies are much better than pre CBS Fenders by a long shot. Maybe not as cool to post on the internet but better to play music with.

Also a new Honda outperforms a vintage Ferrari. Maybe not as cool to post on the internet...

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1318590777' post='1404025']But fortunes can be changed. Tanglewood were not exactly high in my estimation a couple of years back, yet with the beautiful instruments they are creating for Overwater, it really shows what they are capable of - no one on here would give them bad rep for those.[/quote]

+1

I played a plywood P Bass made by them years ago And everything about it was shockingly bad. I'd happily play one of the newer ones any day though!