Why become a member? ×

5 day shuker course

Tait

got back from day 3 a couplpe of hours ago, but have been busy since so only just got on the computer. today was mostly about the neck, although give the body a few coats of lacquer throughout the day, the wood's looking really nice now.
[attachment=6912:shuker_day_3__5_.JPG]
[attachment=6913:shuker_day_3__6_.JPG]
the first thing we did on the neck was put the dip on the headstock (sorry, i dont know what its called, and "dip" is the best word i can think of!) so now its not level with the fretboard, it dips down and is lower than the fretboard. we also decided on putting lightweight tuners on, so we made the headstock five millimeters thinner so the the lightweight tuners could fit on, and then drilled the holes for the tuners.
[attachment=6914:shuker_day_3__2_.JPG]
next job was to put frets in the neck - a job im sure many of you have done and only really involves smashing the fretwire with a hammer so im not going to go into detail about that.
[attachment=6915:shuker_day_3__1_.JPG]
finally was the job that took most of the day, carving the C shape in the neck with only a file. basically you start at either end of the neck, carve a basic C shape and feel it, then carry on carving with your file. when it feels like a neck should feel, carve the other end. then you use some tool (i cant remember its name - its sort of a wood thing with a blade that scrapes along the wood and scrapes strips off) to join the two together.
[attachment=6916:shuker_day_3__3_.JPG]
[attachment=6917:shuker_day_3__4_.JPG]
and one my mum took of me carving the neck:
[attachment=6918:shuker_day_3__7_.JPG]

sorry about the blurred pictures - i took them all at the end of the day and i was in a rush.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='164032' date='Mar 26 2008, 08:05 PM']Did Jon give you any tips for making sure the neck was carved in a consistent and parallel way? Was there anything to stop you from taking a large chunk of wood out by mistake?[/quote]

the answer to both of those is no - i think. he just told me to file it into a rounded shape and keep feeling the neck to make sure it feels like a neck should feel - anything that doesn't feel right, you make it feel right. he gave me a demonstration and began the carving of the end of the neck nearest the body, showing me how to carve it properly. whilst giving the demonstration he might have showed me how to carve in a consistent and parallel way, but if it did i took it in without realising, because every time he checked over it he said i was doing well, and just pointed out things like "carve a bit deeper over here". as for taking a large chunk of wood out by mistake, it was only a hand file and a sort of scraper tool - it would have been hard to take a large chunk out.

i hope that answers your question.

[quote name='Scoop' post='164201' date='Mar 27 2008, 12:21 AM']The scraper thing - would that be a spoke shave? I'm dredging back over thirty years here to O level woodwork but "spoke shave" seems to ring a bell.[/quote]

that's the one!

just got back from day four of the course. to be honest we didn't do anything too exciting today. i finished carving the neck with the spoke shave (thanks scoop!), sanded the lacquer on the body from yesterday so that it was flat, routed the musicman pickup, then we spent the rest of today lacquering. there was nothing much we could do whilst we were lacquering - we started cutting the nut, switched the blend on the seymour duncan tone circuit to a 3 way switch and sanded the edges of the scratchplate, small jobs like that, but mostly just played with ruby (jons dog) whilst we waited to put on the next coat. the neck's feeling lovely now, and the body's looking really cool.
[attachment=6960:shuker_day_4__1_.JPG]
[attachment=6961:shuker_day_4__2_.JPG]
all looking good, but quite a hard day tommorow as we've got a lot to do.

[quote name='lwtait' post='164686' date='Mar 27 2008, 06:36 PM']that's the one!

just got back from day four of the course. to be honest we didn't do anything too exciting today. i finished carving the neck with the spoke shave (thanks scoop!), sanded the lacquer on the body from yesterday so that it was flat, routed the musicman pickup, then we spent the rest of today lacquering. there was nothing much we could do whilst we were lacquering - we started cutting the nut, switched the blend on the seymour duncan tone circuit to a 3 way switch and sanded the edges of the scratchplate, small jobs like that, but mostly just played with ruby (jons dog) whilst we waited to put on the next coat. the neck's feeling lovely now, and the body's looking really cool.
[attachment=6960:shuker_day_4__1_.JPG]
[attachment=6961:shuker_day_4__2_.JPG]
all looking good, but quite a hard day tommorow as we've got a lot to do.[/quote]

Looks better each day!! This is one of the best Posts on BC I've come across. I've been tuning every evening and looking forward to the next one each night.

God knows what I'm going to do after tomorrow night. My wife says I'm sad :)

How about we have a whip round and send you back to build another one during your next holiday!!

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='164692' date='Mar 27 2008, 07:41 PM']Looks better each day!! This is one of the best Posts on BC I've come across. I've been tuning every evening and looking forward to the next one each night.

God knows what I'm going to do after tomorrow night. My wife says I'm sad :)

How about we have a whip round and send you back to build another one during your next holiday!![/quote]

^^Glad it's not just me then - thinking about it, it's kind of like a soap opera... only much better ;)

That neck is looking great, and I'm sure you're hard graft tomorrow will all be worth it, looking forward to seeing the end result, great job :huh:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='164781' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:53 PM']+1 :)[/quote]

+1 million. I've [b]really[/b] enjoyed this thread and your ASAT-alike is looking very very good. I suspect you're going to have every right to feel mighty proud of yourself when this is all over.

Yours,

Scoop Shave.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='164884' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:48 PM']lwtait, I hope you will be at the Bash?[/quote]

afraid not, I've got a gig! (bet you can't guess which bass I'll be playing :))

PS. jon's going, though.

Edited by lwtait