Why become a member? ×

Single-cuts, What are they all about?

Billy Apple

[quote name='4000' post='1370458' date='Sep 12 2011, 02:11 PM']Always loved the top wood (amboina IIRC) on your bass.[/quote]

Yes, aboyna burl. Very nice! I like the flamed sycamore back too. The wood choices are great. Every bit of the bass feels magnificent. When I order my next ACG I plan to drive to Moffat to select the woods with the help of Alan.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1371379' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:40 AM']Yes, aboyna burl. Very nice! I like the flamed sycamore back too. The wood choices are great. Every bit of the bass feels magnificent. When I order my next ACG I plan to drive to Moffat to select the woods with the help of Alan.[/quote]

Alan's a great bloke so you you should have fun; just ask my mates Stu and Dave! I was hoping to get one at some stage but a new house purchase has put paid to that for the forseeable....

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1371854' date='Sep 13 2011, 02:31 PM']Yep, a good hour in Alan's wood-store with the white-spirit fumes filling the air... you'll have a whale of a time. :)[/quote]

Yup, a lovely way to spend an afternoon, just let the effect of the white spirits fade before you drive home...

I like that most are beautiful woods, but most look unbalanced and clunky, (though I accept the word of owners they are mostly not!), but I cannot help thinking that they are another fad. Nothing wrong with different, but I find other different things more aesthetically pleasing!

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1316028642' post='1373676']
This one looks tasty

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou4fRXKYTfg[/media]
[/quote]

Thats not doing it for me. Maybe it's the chrome hardware? Surely the biggest gaffe on any bass with a natural finish!

But it sounds just like a typical 'jazz on steroids' affair, and I expect something more exquisite from a boutique bass like that.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1316562497' post='1379851']

Thats not doing it for me. Maybe it's the chrome hardware? Surely the biggest gaffe on any bass with a natural finish!

But it sounds just like a typical 'jazz on steroids' affair, and I expect something more exquisite from a boutique bass like that.
[/quote]

Sorry it's not doing it for you - i like it.

I have had my RIM Basses Single cut about 5/6 years now.
Plays and feels great - huge meaty output with tons of sustain.
There has been no need to adjust the truss rod since i first got it. Rock solid.
Only Bass i use other than my Lakland Fretless.
Its really not worth knocking them until you have tried a few, all different of course.
Looks have never bothered me, just playability and sound.

[url="http://img231.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img231/2263/1316596053swe.smil"]http://img231.images...6596053swe.smil[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown