Why become a member? ×

Single-cuts, What are they all about?

Billy Apple

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1369506' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:00 PM']Absolutely!

And the neck/body rigidity is increased if that's an issue for you.[/quote]

Is that the reasoning behind the design then? What kind of an improvement would increasing body rigidity give?

Anyone with any experience owning them, they look like they could be quite weighty, is this an issue?

I would turn the question on it's head and say what's the purpose of a top cut away if your technique is 'good'?

Single cuts are heavy if heavy wood is used to make them, just like conventionally styled basses. As for neck rigidity, it must effect tone as the string vibrates, more than nut or fingerboard material would be my guess.

I've owned 2, both ACGs and both have been quite light and sounded superb. I think ACG make the nicest looking single cuts too :)

But hey I'm biased - I sold this to Chris as I play a five nowadays

Peter

[quote name='billyapple' post='1369519' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:14 PM']Is that the reasoning behind the design then? What kind of an improvement would increasing body rigidity give?

Anyone with any experience owning them, they look like they could be quite weighty, is this an issue?[/quote]

If you look at the bass Peter posted above (which I now own), thats a great example of how good a singlecut can be. It's not heavy. My Zoot bass is heavier, when on paper it shouldn't be, as they both have mahogany bodies but the Zoot has a carbon fibre neck! Often it's not so much an issue of weight as it is balance, and this ACG here balances perfectly. The body appears slightly elongated when you look at it when it isn't strapped on. In practice, this results in the bass sitting in a very ergonomically friendly position. Out of my three current basses it is the most comfortable to play for long periods.

As for the neck access issue, it's not a problem. You soon adapt to having your thumb in the correct place even if you've hung your thumb over the neck for years. Does it make a difference to the tone? I'm not sure as this is the only ACG bass I've really played. Surely it must do though. It looks great, sounds great, plays great and thus I'm sold on singlecuts!*

*In truth though, I've always had a soft spot for them.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1369597' date='Sep 11 2011, 05:19 PM']If you look at the bass Peter posted above (which I now own), thats a great example of how good a singlecut can be. It's not heavy. My Zoot bass is heavier, when on paper it shouldn't be, as they both have mahogany bodies but the Zoot has a carbon fibre neck! Often it's not so much an issue of weight as it is balance, and this ACG here balances perfectly. The body appears slightly elongated when you look at it when it isn't strapped on. In practice, this results in the bass sitting in a very ergonomically friendly position. Out of my three current basses it is the most comfortable to play for long periods.

As for the neck access issue, it's not a problem. You soon adapt to having your thumb in the correct place even if you've hung your thumb over the neck for years. Does it make a difference to the tone? I'm not sure as this is the only ACG bass I've really played. Surely it must do though. It looks great, sounds great, plays great and thus I'm sold on singlecuts!*

*In truth though, I've always had a soft spot for them.[/quote]

PARP! Sorry, Singlecut GAS!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1369597' date='Sep 11 2011, 05:19 PM']If you look at the bass Peter posted above (which I now own), thats a great example of how good a singlecut can be. It's not heavy. My Zoot bass is heavier, when on paper it shouldn't be, as they both have mahogany bodies but the Zoot has a carbon fibre neck! Often it's not so much an issue of weight as it is balance, and this ACG here balances perfectly. The body appears slightly elongated when you look at it when it isn't strapped on. In practice, this results in the bass sitting in a very ergonomically friendly position. Out of my three current basses it is the most comfortable to play for long periods.

*In truth though, I've always had a soft spot for them.[/quote]

FWIW, whilst Peter's old bass (which I've spent some time with) was certainly not particularly heavy, my Sei Melt singelcut was waaaay lighter. As Peter says, it's dependent on what woods it's made of, body thickness etc, same as any other bass. I picked up a Mayones in the Gallery recently expecting it to be light and it was far heavier than my old Sei was. My Sei was possibly the most comfortable bass I've ever played, and I've played a [i]lot[/i] of basses! The rear cutaway was fantastic too. I have a problem that some don't in that when using "proper" thumb position, as I have "Jaco" thumbs I need a little more space, and I found that to be the best s/cut cutaway I've played.

[quote name='4000' post='1369668' date='Sep 11 2011, 06:41 PM']FWIW, whilst Peter's old bass (which I've spent some time with) was certainly not particularly heavy, my Sei Melt singelcut was waaaay lighter.[/quote]

Wow, was it wafer thin? Glad you enjoyed the Sei. That said, I wouldn't make the ACG lighter if I had the choice. It feels wonderfully substantial without being heavy. It's just right! :)

[quote name='billyapple' post='1369493' date='Sep 11 2011, 03:50 PM']I've been coming across Single-cut Basses on my travels. I find them strangely attractive, but doesn't this style prevent upper neck access? Are they for a particular playing style, or are they just a design exercise?[/quote]

Isn't that a singlecut in your avatar and sig? :)

[quote name='billyapple' post='1369493' date='Sep 11 2011, 03:50 PM']I find them strangely attractive, but doesn't this style prevent upper neck access?[/quote]
No. If anything,I find that they generally make upper fret access easier.

[quote name='billyapple' post='1369493' date='Sep 11 2011, 03:50 PM']Are they for a particular playing style,[/quote]
Really? :)
They're just like any other bass...you can play whatever the you want on one.

I love Singlecut basses.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1369790' date='Sep 11 2011, 08:13 PM']Wow, was it wafer thin? Glad you enjoyed the Sei. That said, I wouldn't make the ACG lighter if I had the choice. It feels wonderfully substantial without being heavy. It's just right! :)[/quote]

The body was mainly light alder and the neck was Ibanez SR-thin. Martin's very careful about body thickness so doubtless that was also a factor.

Always loved the top wood (amboina IIRC) on your bass.