Why become a member? ×

Which headless?

Bassman Sam

I'm thinking of getting another headless bass but I'm not sure what it get. I normal use Fender P's, the 1st bass I ever used was a '62 original and then owned a '75 and '57 Fullerton RI. I am playing a 70'a alike build P bass now. I have also had a Rick 4001 fretless and a Washburn Status 1000 headless in the past.

What headless would give me a P bass or old school sound. I don't slap but love the headless vibe.

Your thoughts please.

Sam

I've toyed with the idea of getting a headless, the reasons being shameless novelty value and also the storage/portability advantage. What other extras or characteristics do they give? I've never had the chance to play one so it's a mystery to me (like most things are :) )

I've had 3 Hohner B2As of various types. I had a decent one, sold it and missed it immediately, bought a cheap replacement and now have upgraded to a nice one again. I have a fragile lower back and for me the weight and portability are the key thing but I see from the list of your basses that weight isn't an issue. Above that they are very good basses - well made, nice necks. Relatively slim width but a deep profile. The bridge seems impervious to anything and they have always remained perfectly in tune. My current one has a detuner as well. They sound fantastic. I generally play rock and you can get brilliant rock tones. I do a little closet slapping (badly - don't tell my rock band) and I think you can get a 'Forget me nots' sound out of it easily. Great things.

Once you have got your head around the fact that there is no headstock (took me ages and I kept trying to play 2 fret further up as though my brain was compensating for lack of wood at that end) the only disadvantage I see is that they hang in an odd position. Button position for the upper part of the bass 'as supplied' is at the back of the nack which tilts the whole thing forward - I moved mine to the little bit of the upper bout which is better. But the body is short and the head end of the neck seems a long way away. Again, you get used to it.

But that is purely the Hohner cricket bat - other regular-bodied basses I am sure hang just fine.

The Jack Bass (Hohner) are really teriffic value for money and a really comfortable shape to wear. The tone tends to quite an organic, woody sound, but can do "modern" sounds with a tweak of the eq. I used to run mine passive.
The neck cross section is quite round and deep by modern standards, and narrower than a "P" at the nut, but good to play for long periods. And they never go out of tune, just like the B2As you've seen. The ones with humbuckers probably get nearer to the P tone, but the pickup placement isn't quite the same. That said, you do get more tonal flexibility, even with the passive models.
For what you can pick them up for 2nd hand, it's worth trying one, you won't lose money if you sell it on.
They do make nice fretlesses too if you whip the frets out.
Only caveat: check there is enough adjustment on the truss rod.

[quote name='witterth' post='1368214' date='Sep 10 2011, 01:51 AM']just wondering
with that bass guitar pedigree, whats the attraction for a headless bass?
(nosey geyt)
W[/quote]

The headless Washburn was really light, very comfortable to play over long periods and just never went out of tune.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1368401' date='Sep 10 2011, 11:15 AM']The Jack Bass (Hohner) are really teriffic value for money and a really comfortable shape to wear. The tone tends to quite an organic, woody sound, but can do "modern" sounds with a tweak of the eq. I used to run mine passive.
The neck cross section is quite round and deep by modern standards, and narrower than a "P" at the nut, but good to play for long periods. And they never go out of tune, just like the B2As you've seen. The ones with humbuckers probably get nearer to the P tone, but the pickup placement isn't quite the same. That said, you do get more tonal flexibility, even with the passive models.
For what you can pick them up for 2nd hand, it's worth trying one, you won't lose money if you sell it on.
They do make nice fretlesses too if you whip the frets out.
Only caveat: check there is enough adjustment on the truss rod.[/quote]

I have had a Hohner Jack Bass Custom and I regret selling it. Fat growly tones, totally stable tuning, I have a B2ADB boat paddle now and it is fantastic. massive dub tones and sparkly highs. Never underestimate the Hohners, rock solid build quality, neck through design, and completely reliable. They feel very comfortable too, with Jazz-like neck dimensions. I've had four Hohners in my time, basses and guitars.

However, the Steinberger Spirits I've had were very poor, no comparison with the Hohners. Poor build, bolt on, crap pups, passive, dodgy truss rod on one of them. For a cheaper headless, IME, Hohners are absolutely the way to go. I've had three of these Sprits, never again.

Edited by silddx

I'm going to stick my oar in and recommend you get a Westone Superheadless.

They look amazing, whichever model you get and are amazing basses for the money. The variety of tones you can get is fantastic - I had flatwounds on mine and it had a great P-Bass sound.

When they come up for sale you can probably get one for C.£300 - bargainous!

[quote name='silddx' post='1368498' date='Sep 10 2011, 12:50 PM']There are a couple of Washburn Statii for sale on here around £400. Not played one but I hear very good things.

An excellent condition Hohner probably £250ish

Spirits go for £150 - £200[/quote]

I've been out-bargained! :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1368498' date='Sep 10 2011, 12:50 PM']There are a couple of Washburn Statii for sale on here around £400. Not played one but I hear very good things.

An excellent condition Hohner probably £250ish

Spirits go for £150 - £200[/quote]

I had a Washburn for around 10 years but I always found the pick ups lacked any growl and the active circuit was a bit pants. I'll have to give a Hohner a try and see what it's like.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1368559' date='Sep 10 2011, 01:59 PM']I had a Washburn for around 10 years but I always found the pick ups lacked any growl and the active circuit was a bit pants. I'll have to give a Hohner a try and see what it's like.[/quote]
I think you'll like the Hohners then. Advise you avoid the Spirits completely, they are children's toys by comparison.

[quote name='clauster' post='1368466' date='Sep 10 2011, 12:19 PM']I'm fairly certain the Steinberger Synapse has EMG's with the coils in a P type config. Might be worth a look?[/quote]
They look good, but be sure to play before buying, quality control is not great according to some, certainly the guitar I sent back was appalling, it had a misaligned head-piece over 1mm out, other finish and parts issues, and poor fret finishing, some sharp fret ends. They are very expensive for Korean made instruments of that suspect quality level.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1368457' date='Sep 10 2011, 12:15 PM']The headless Washburn was really light, very comfortable to play over long periods and just never went out of tune.[/quote]
You really will like the Hohners then! My Jack Bass was exactly that and had great sounds too. Maybe not quite as light, they are all rock maple neck throughs.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1368391' date='Sep 10 2011, 11:03 AM']I wish there were more headless Sei basses around, I've always wanted a Sei![/quote]
They had a black Hohner Jack-like 4-string Sei in the Gallery last year. It played beautifully and had the shallowest neck I've ever set hands on. I think it was about £1200 and may have been S/H.

[quote name='silddx' post='1368566' date='Sep 10 2011, 02:06 PM']Advise you avoid the Spirits completely...[/quote]

Completely agree unless you need some wood for Bonfire Night - the fitted EMG Select p/ups are weedy and gutless - not even good enough to be called rubbish!! - I did like the neck profile and the Satin finish though so it did have some redeeming features..not enough to buy one again mind..

Positives of headless? Well as said above, they never go out of tune. They have a straight string pull so no chance of strings slipping on the tuning post. Strings are a doddle to change. With double ball strings you just loosen the tuner slot the string out, slot another in and tune up. I'm naturally going to suggest Status if you can afford one. You won't find any headless Statii with wooden necks though. If you solo the front pickup you get a pretty good Pbass sound.

I have a Hohner B2A as well. Everyone always slags off the EMG Select pups but I get a fine sound from mine. Might be best to go the cheaper route first and see how you get on.

[quote name='molan' post='1369512' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:07 PM']How about a Kubicki?

One of the 5 pre-sets is designed as a passive 'Precision-alike' but you've got all that flexibility from the twin pickups in active mode as well :)[/quote]

With the two active presets and the amazing tone you get from having both pickups going I doubt anyone would use just the neck pickup! That 'huge' sound I'm talking about is just too addictive! I think for my next Kubicki I will look for one of the exotic top customs! :)