Why become a member? ×

First real audition! Update!

Prime_BASS

Hi guys!

I'm heading into my first real trail/audition this thursday and wondering how I approach it, does and don'ts, that sort of thing.

All though I've played with quite a few bands I've never really had to do anything special to get in, just sort of was given the role.

The band is in the vein of gurney/rock stuff and they are older than me and so I'm expecting to be out done by there skills haha.

Thanks
Stephen.

*UPDATE*

So the night has been and gone.
Overall it went very well, I took a lot of advice. I spoke to them more and asked what they wanted in terms of bass.
Although I did mess up but not my fault(so I say). Although I wasn't given any material to go over before hand, the guitarist quickly wrote down "notes" for a few songs and was polite enough to tell me he was half a step down.
The first song was ok, the singer asked if we was tuned up right to which I said yeah, then proceeded to explain that I was playing te actual notes the guitarist had given me. What he had wrote down was the notesas if it was standard tuniNg. DOH!

After that the rest went ok, the songs were simple in a good way, and rather catchy. The song writing was pretty good and me and the guitarist seemed very "symbiotic" especially when he realised I was a huge the fan!
Once it was over I asked what yet thought.
"well me biggest fear was that you couldnt play or that you didn't give a sh*t. It's obvious you an play and you seem very interested"
I'll settle for that, given my nerves and I'm going through a mid life bass crisis.
I'm definatly in, anyway.

Cheers for all the support guys.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Assuming that you have learnt what they want you to audition with, then be punctual, set up, tune up and play. Don't overplay, concentrate on getting the groove/timing right. At an audition they will be much more impressed if your timing is good, than whether you can solo/slap etc.

Don't noodle between numbers and try to look happy :)

And best of luck

[quote name='gary mac' post='1357726' date='Aug 31 2011, 04:53 PM']Assuming that you have learnt what they want you to audition with, then be punctual, set up, tune up and play. Don't overplay, concentrate on getting the groove/timing right. At an audition they will be much more impressed if your timing is good, than whether you can solo/slap etc.

Don't noodle between numbers and try to look happy :)

And best of luck[/quote]

What he say's is spot on Good luck :)

Learn the material properly before the audition - sounds amazing, but I`ve seen some auditions where the intended new person didn`t know the material.

Make sure all your gear is working properly - again, seems obvious, but not to all.

Turn up on time - even be a bit early.

When you set up, state "this is the sound I use, but do you have any preferences for anything different?" Shows willingness - we`ve all been there with people who won`t adapt to fit the band.

When playing, don`t be overloud, but don`t be too quiet either - just a confident sound. If anything, ask for you & the drummer to go through a few minutes on your own, to get levels right.

Definately don`t overplay - think pro bands - really, how many bassists widdle away, very few. Pro`s keep time and groove, thats the job, unless specifically required to do different.

Ask what their plans for the band are - no point in getting the gig, and finding out they want to gig 5 times a week if your life responsibilities don`t allow this.

Chat - find out about the people in the band, what music they like etc, being sociable and pleasant goes a long way.

Cheers for the input!!!
Although a lot of it is simple stuff really, non of it really came to mind. Haha.

No material as such I've been given, although I'm going to learn some songs from the bands influences to get the general gist of the tune style. Don't want to turn up and play some heavy J-rock.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1357945' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:48 PM']Cheers for the input!!!
Although a lot of it is simple stuff really, non of it really came to mind. Haha.

No material as such I've been given, although I'm going to learn some songs from the bands influences to get the general gist of the tune style. Don't want to turn up and play some heavy J-rock.[/quote]
They are auditioning you but given you no material to learn? Odd.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1357945' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:48 PM']Cheers for the input!!!

No material as such I've been given, although I'm going to learn some songs from the bands influences to get the general gist of the tune style. Don't want to turn up and play some heavy J-rock.[/quote]

So do we take it from that , it's an "original material" band then?

Don't turn up and admit you spend too much time wondering about bass gear, hahah! Save that for when you know them and might possibly be able to talk gear with the guitarist. Otherwise, they might glaze over. Quite a lot of musicians just plug and dont give a cra* about what they are using. :)

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' post='1357961' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:58 PM']So do we take it from that , it's an "original material" band then?[/quote]

Sounds like. I read it as you'll be jamming/writing the basslines as you go. Bit harder to prepare for, maybe, but a good opportunity to do more than show you know a few tracks.

Let us know how you get on :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1357951' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:54 PM']They are auditioning you but given you no material to learn? Odd.[/quote]

I did ask, the guy said I shouldn't worry an just turn up with my bass. It was the singer who has been in contact with me so probably knows very little about the songs haha.

It's why I'm thinking it's more of a trail, see how thing go for a while. That sort of thing.

I'm doing my best to not get hung up on what amp will be there....

It is originals, and if I'm honest jamming and making up the lines as I go isnt my most comfortable way of doing it, but definatly more fun and "natural".