Why become a member? ×

Manchester Bass Day 06/11/11

daz

Bloody hell, has that come around again already? Or has there been two this year? Seems like only yesterday that we were discussing the event and everyone complaining about the potential for a noise-fest meets slap-fest! As was my experience when I went :) I didn't go last year, might of been the year before... it was Poogie Bell, who was ace. For me, the highlight when I went was catching Yolanda Charles outside the main stage... very talented, and one of only a few musicians there actually playing bass.

I'm kinda tempted by these things, if only because I get to see and possibly hear and might even play, gear that I wouldn't otherwise get a chance to, being that I live in a gear blackhole of a town! But, the mass of ego's that parade these things is very off-putting to be honest, and I find them wearisome.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, or just getting older, but seeing great bassists is, well, great..... But it doesn't beat seeing a great band, with a great bassist laying down some serious tunage where everyone is playing for the music and not for the attention of one particular instrument. I think that's why I enjoyed Poogie Bell so much over the other performances I saw when I did go that one time...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1354780' date='Aug 28 2011, 09:49 PM']If it's the same lineup as last year I'll give it miss, it was ok but I don't need to see it again. If you listen carefully on the top landing at the dead of night you can still hear Nigel Clusterf***s slap bass echoing around the ceiling :)[/quote]
Oh stop it P,
Leave Nigel alone ....he speaks very highly of your playing (and hes heard it too!)
most of us wish we could do a bit of Clutterbuck,if were honest,its a bit of good fun.

Don't think I'll have the time. I'm in pre-production with an artist, auditioning for (another) band and trying to finish my solo stuff.

TBH I'm not really sure this sort of thing is for me - I'm a bit grumpy at the minute and shouldn't really be around people. :)

[quote name='daz' post='1354617' date='Aug 28 2011, 06:26 PM']Already looking forward to it. Lots of great equipment to peruse :) Same live line up as last year. Stu Hamm, Victor Bailey, Billy Sheehan on stage.

[url="http://www.bassday.co.uk/"]http://www.bassday.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

I just assumed that the page hasn't been updated-other than the date,the site has been like since last year. I'd be surprised if it's the same line up.

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1354809' date='Aug 28 2011, 10:41 PM']I highly doubt that it's the same lineup, seems the page just hasn't been updated yet.[/quote]

yes that did strike me as a little strange, Maybe someone 'in the know' can give us the insider gen ? Someone like [b]Dood[/b] might well know (hint?) :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='witterth' post='1354877' date='Aug 29 2011, 12:34 AM']Oh stop it P,
Leave Nigel alone ....he speaks very highly of your playing (and hes heard it too!)
most of us wish we could do a bit of Clutterbuck,if were honest,its a bit of good fun.[/quote]

He hasn't and no they don't :)

If I'm going to get flamed for being the first to mention clutterbuck and last years bassday I may aswel throw in the fact that I hate Rotosound strings too, In for a penny and all that.

I will keep an eye on the lineup thing maybe if someone takes my fancy I will have a look.

[quote name='daz' post='1354930' date='Aug 29 2011, 02:43 AM']yes that did strike me as a little strange, Maybe someone 'in the know' can give us the insider gen ? Someone like [b]Dood[/b] might well know (hint?) :)[/quote]

Hey Daz! Well - unbelievable as it might be - no, I actually have no leads on this year's show! - That said, I've been pretty damn busy these last few months and hadn't gotten as far as planning my BassDay. I've got some amazing news to spill soon which will hopefully be great for us Bass Players - sorry I can't say anything yet!

If I remember to, I'll see if I can find out what's happening this year!

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

[quote name='dood' post='1355370' date='Aug 29 2011, 04:20 PM']Hey Daz! Well - unbelievable as it might be - no, I actually have no leads on this year's show! - That said, I've been pretty damn busy these last few months and hadn't gotten as far as planning my BassDay. I've got some amazing news to spill soon which will hopefully be great for us Bass Players - sorry I can't say anything yet!

If I remember to, I'll see if I can find out what's happening this year!

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood[/quote]

I've got some amazing news too.

But you'll have to wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Stevie Willliams band on Thursday and it's "All Change".

Date moved to 6th November and now at Band on The Wall. He has managed to get Marcus Miller so it has moved to accomodate his schedule. He said the web-site will be updated this week-end.

Daz, might be worth changing the date on the first posting and have it moved to events....

Edited by BassBunny

Is [b][url="http://bandonthewall.org/about/"]The band on the wall[/url][/b], big enough ?

(not that I've been since 1982 when i saw [b]The[/b][i](Mighty)[/i][b]Fall [/b]there :) "[i]t t t t [/i] totally Wired. " and Valium ksshh ksshh, rowche rumble "etc, ahh, those were the days :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1368782' date='Sep 10 2011, 06:32 PM']Is [b][url="http://bandonthewall.org/about/"]The band on the wall[/url][/b], big enough ?

(not that I've been since 1982 when i saw [b]The[/b][i](Mighty)[/i][b]Fall [/b]there[/quote]

I Played there a couple of months back and its in no way big enough for all the trade stands.

Maybe they'll have the trade shows at RNCM & Marcus at the band on the wall?

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1368792' date='Sep 10 2011, 06:50 PM']I Played there a couple of months back and its in no way big enough for all the trade stands.[/quote]

my feelings exactly. (I'm worried now. Have been looking forward to this since the last one ended) :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1368792' date='Sep 10 2011, 06:50 PM']I Played there a couple of months back and its in no way big enough for all the trade stands.

Maybe they'll have the trade shows at RNCM & Marcus at the band on the wall?[/quote]

From what I can gather talking to Stevie, it's all at Band on the Wall. It would be too much of a schlep between RNCM and BOW. Guess it's going back to how the first Bass Days were at Life Cafe. Small and intimate....