Why become a member? ×

Your Views on Modding Basses, COSMETICALLY

gothpugs

What are your views on stickers, Vinyls, paintjobs etc. on your basses?
I'm talking purely cosmetic mods, that have no effect on the bass itself other than its appearance.

Personally I like the paintjob on my bass, its not professional by any means but I like the way it looks, I didn't do it but I'm considering adding some vinyls to it, to make it a bit more personal, however I don't like traditional stickers as I think its looks too messy as they tend to peel...

I suppose I'm impartial, as my bass is only worth £60 on a good day, so I can't really devalue it by changing its appearance.

So guys, whats your opinion? Do you like the fresh out the factory look, or something a little more personal? Maybe a fancy strap is as custom as you get....

Let me know!

Edited by gothpugs

Tasteful paint-jobs like the one in the pic, yeah, usually look pretty damn good; but I do really hate to see a bass covered in stickers, I always assume the player to be a kid trying & failing to make a statement or other, such as "I'm rad", or "I'm individual".

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1354224' date='Aug 28 2011, 11:59 AM']Tasteful paint-jobs like the one in the pic, yeah, usually look pretty damn good; but I do really hate to see a bass covered in stickers, I always assume the player to be a kid trying & failing to make a statement or other, such as "I'm rad", or "I'm individual".[/quote]

I agree with you on the traditional "stickers" that tend to be papery crap designs that peel and rip... but what about vinyls? They can be intricate designs, damn impressive and they're not as prone to fraying/peeling, when put on right they appear to be painted on they're so neat.

It is easy to go overboard though, and I hate people who cover the bass from fret to body in a collage of crap stickers

[quote name='gothpugs' post='1354235' date='Aug 28 2011, 12:12 PM']... but what about vinyls?[/quote]
I've only seen the ones that Rick parfitt was doing; which I wasn't impressed with, and also the "photo-flame" finish that Fender was doing years ago, I think that was the name, they were printed finishes under a poly finish, which looked good from a distance.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1354241' date='Aug 28 2011, 12:17 PM']I've only seen the ones that Rick parfitt was doing; which I wasn't impressed with, and also the "photo-flame" finish that Fender was doing years ago, I think that was the name, they were printed finishes under a poly finish, which looked good from a distance.[/quote]

When I refer to vinyl, I don't mean the full body "skins" I mean literally vinyl stickers/transfer such as this... (courtesy of google)

I remember my first bass was completely pasted with stickers! I loved it, I even had a sticker of Woodstock from Snoopy on the back of the body.

Nowadays I wouldn't dream of putting stickers on my bass, although I do very much love the idea of going through life with an instrument that is unmistakably your own 'creation', having had some kind of unique paint job or underlying feature that makes you as a player instantly visually recognisable. You don't really see that anymore.

I love the job you did in the pic! As you say, the bass isn't worth masses of money anyway so it's not really a big deal what you did to it. As long as it's not particularly rare or vintage i'm not really fussed either way, people can do what they want. I suppose it really goes with the look, if you're into quite a punky man then you might want to go for the whole stickered look.

Generally stickers look lousy, but that's because they're usually applied artlessly, with no eye for detail or style. OTOH something like Duarte's sterling has obviously been finished thoughtfully to create an overall effect. Not my taste, but good never the less. Gaf's racing lines also add to the overall appearance of his bass because they've been applied with taste.

[quote name='charic' post='1356155' date='Aug 30 2011, 12:07 PM']I hear that stickers have a more natural sound than Vinyl. Vinyl sounds much more modern and some consider it clinical

:)[/quote]
I prefer the static that you get from vinyl. :)

I cosmetically modded my bass from this...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/2607131595/"][/url]

To this...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/5840432981/"][/url]

Still tempted to add some colour to it.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1356267' date='Aug 30 2011, 01:46 PM'][url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/5840432981/"][/url]

Still tempted to add some colour to it.[/quote]

looks gr8 :) nice amp as well, i wanted one of those but i ended up having to make do with a sh*tty old eden metro :) it seems (understandably) that no-one wants to sell one.

Anyway no amount of stickers could possibly make a bass look as bad as this monstrosity:

Edited by EdwardHimself

The body of your bass looks like a drawing. Pretty cool if it looks like that normally. :)

I thought the Eden Metro was a great combo? I've never tried one myself, but they appear to get a lot of love.
I've had my combo for just over 3 years now & it's never let me down. There's one or two for sale on here for @ £650.