Why become a member? ×

To refret my '63 Precision - good/bad idea?

Clarky

My '63 Precision has got very little fret life left and buzzes on the A string at the 7th-9th frets. It is in obvious need of a fret stoning but in truth would probably benefit from a complete refret. However, its vintage innit so should I put up with a small amount of fret buzz and keep the bass as true to its original state as possible (I hasten to add its a refin, although all-original bar the paint) or should I say stuff it, its for playing and it needs a new set of frets?

Poll added of course as its a Friday :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='BassBod' post='1352570' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:21 PM']If its going to wear flats, then I wouldn't - provided it plays ok with a medium/high action. Otherwise I'd get it re-fretted (and have the fingerboard checked over for level at the same time).

That's the sort of problem I like.[/quote]
Thanks! Its wearing TI Jazz Flats and the action is medium/low - I guess taking the action up to medium would be your and Chris_b's advice then

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1352602' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:38 PM']If it is a working instument and you wish to play it, get it refretted. If not maybe you should just forget about it.[/quote]

+1. If it's a keeper Clarky and they way it is currently set up and sounds impedes your pleasure to play it, then get it sorted mate.

No point in having it otherwise :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1352602' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:38 PM']If it is a working instument and you wish to play it, get it refretted. If not maybe you should just forget about it.[/quote]
It is a working instrument (I'm not precious about playing it in dives even if its vintage, its meant to be played)

I take a different view. If you want to chop and change a bass I'd go for modding a non vintage instrument. After a certain point in time the main purpose of a 60's Fender bass is to appear on the Antiques Road show in as original condition as they can.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1352645' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:55 PM']I take a different view. If you want to chop and change a bass I'd go for modding a non vintage instrument. After a certain point in time the main purpose of a 60's Fender bass is to appear on the Antiques Road show in as original condition as they can.[/quote]

Replacing the frets on a fretted bass so that it can be played is hardly what I'd call "chopping and changing"! :)

But yes, it does depend on what you see as the medium to long-term future of this bass. If you want to keep it for another 10+ years and play it regularly, I'd say go for a quality re-fret. If you just wanna keep it long enough to sell on at a tidy profit - then obviously keep it as "original" as possible until that time. Which probably means that you shouldn't be playing it!

Not sure I understand the mentality of keeping good quality musical instruments in the loft as an investment though... :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='1352608' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:40 PM']+1. If it's a keeper Clarky and they way it is currently set up and sounds impedes your pleasure to play it, then get it sorted mate.

No point in having it otherwise :)[/quote]
Absolutely.

Or flog the damn thing as is, buy a bass that works, a treat for the family, and have some fun with the rest.

[quote name='Conan' post='1352662' date='Aug 26 2011, 04:06 PM']Replacing the frets on a fretted bass so that it can be played is hardly what I'd call "chopping and changing"! :)

But yes, it does depend on what you see as the medium to long-term future of this bass. If you want to keep it for another 10+ years and play it regularly, I'd say go for a quality re-fret. If you just wanna keep it long enough to sell on at a tidy profit - then obviously keep it as "original" as possible until that time. Which probably means that you shouldn't be playing it!

Not sure I understand the mentality of keeping good quality musical instruments in the loft as an investment though... :)[/quote]
Its a year-of-birth bass and I have no intention of selling (unless a disaster scenario hits the Clarky houehold, heaven forfend). I intend to grow old (OK, even older) with it so I do want it play-able above being seen as an investment

[quote name='chris_b' post='1352645' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:55 PM']I take a different view. If you want to chop and change a bass I'd go for modding a non vintage instrument. After a certain point in time the main purpose of a 60's Fender bass is to appear on the Antiques Road show in as original condition as they can.[/quote]
A refret is not really a mod, it's maintenance IMO.

However, there are idiots out there who would prefer to buy an 63P with knack frets, rather than one that works (providing it's a superb fret job with vintage correct frets). They are probably not players though.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1352673' date='Aug 26 2011, 04:16 PM']Its a year-of-birth bass and I have no intention of selling (unless a disaster scenario hits the Clarky houehold, heaven forfend). I intend to grow old (OK, even older) with it so I do want it play-able above being seen as an investment[/quote]
No question then. If it were me, I would have it refretted bu Martin Petersen, and a full healthcheck at the same time. My heart would be pumping at pick up time, it should come back to you playing like a dream!

My initial response was definitely no...until I read the re-fin bit. I'm not sure (if you ever did sell) that a re-fret would have any significant negative impact on the price of a refinished one. Completely agree with the comment that a re-fret is maintenance and not a mod.

Frets are meant to be replaced, even on an all original vintage Fender. You can always keep the originals to give to the new owner if they are that important and they have them put back in :)

These things are meant to be played and kept in good condition and playability. If age, originality and provenance is what turns some people on, that's their problem.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1352928' date='Aug 26 2011, 07:44 PM']Frets? who needs frets?

get them ripped out!

Seriously tho, get the frets sorted and play the hell out of it for another 50 years[/quote]
I like the idea of me still playing bass at 98!

My mind is made up. Is going to The Gallery at the earliest opportunity :)