Why become a member? ×

New Red Hot Chili Peppers album

tredders

[quote name='mcnach' post='1353209' date='Aug 27 2011, 12:20 AM']what a f***ing disappointment... so much waiting for... this???

I'm afraid that the RHCP are dead, I can't see this album having a good reception... :-([/quote]

I agree pretty much with everything you said. Makes me wonder how bad the B-Sides are if these are the tracks that made the album :/

I've been a massive RHCP fan since I discovered them about 11 Years ago and checked out their entire back catalogue, but this album is a massive letdown IMO. Although I do like "Even You Brutus?". Cool groove.

It's been like... I don't know, 36h since I first listened to the album.
I have played it many times since.

I'm a little embarrased [1] :lol: to admit that... I'm actually enjoying it now. It's a grower.

[1] No, I'm not embarrased, I only said if for effect :)

I think the "evolution" :) of my feelings towards this album is really an evolution of expectations.

If I think of it as an RHCP album (expecting seriously cool funk-rock) then it's utterly disappointing. Meh x 240. What I wrote earlier still stands.

But If I just ignore the name of the band and just listen to it... it's nice, I enjoy it, and although it has a few boringtracks, it also has 3-4 that I really like, and a few "not bad" ones too.

So I'm going to close my eyes and pretend this is a new band called the "Green Tepid Jalapeños", and enjoy it while I drive (from tomorrow, as I'm still listening to it only as a stream on iTunes)

Edited by mcnach

Just listened to it now and its terrible.

But name me a band that still does great songs 20-30 years down the line?

Like many other bands, they mellow with age, the songs get more poppy and happy clappy, all their best ideas have already been recorded, they don't do the drugs that they used to. I mean look at the Stones, they should've jacked it in 30 years ago.

This is all, of course, my personal opinion. Plus I'm full of beer

After being very much disappointed by this album, I've gone back and been listening to stadium arcadium three days in a row, and I have to say, I really enjoy it. I mean sure, should they have just picked the good songs and released a single cd album? Yes. Would they have included the less poppy songs that I actually prefer? Probably not.

With this in mind, I wonder if in a few years time this album will be seen as good. I knowbi disliked stadium arcadium at the time, but man am I loving it now. Hey is a great bass driven track!

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1352321' date='Aug 26 2011, 12:53 PM']I can't get a preview to work :)[/quote]

Well I've now managed to get the preview to work on Itunes after trying a different machine... & I've gotta say I like it! It's far from their best stuff, but I think it would be unfair to expect a band that's been as far as them to hit some thing close to their peak now.

Every one of their albums is different from the previous, this in my opinion is just a continuation. You can still tell it's them, & the guitar isn't as different from Frusciante's style [u]as much[/u] as I was expecting it to be.

Sure there are a couple of howlers, & I still don't like that damn single! But I think I will pick this one up from Tesco a bit later. :)

I do wonder though if my extremely low expectations for this album play in to it at all. Maybe I'll have a few more listens to the previews first!

Edited by joe_bass

I've listened to it a few times and I'm reserving judgement on the songs so far. It took me a while to get into Stadium Arcadium.

HOWEVER, the mastering is atrocious. Just like Californication it's overly compressed and distorted throughout. Why spend so much money producing an album only to ruin it during the mastering process. sigh.

[quote name='wjoyce' post='1357378' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:07 PM']HOWEVER, the mastering is atrocious. Just like Californication it's overly compressed and distorted throughout. Why spend so much money producing an album only to ruin it during the mastering process. sigh.[/quote]

I went to a talk by Stefan Betke (Pole, now works mainly as a mastering engineer, for labels including Mute) back in May and he was asked what he thought of the rise in overly loud and compressed mastering, such as Death Magnetic.

His response was something like "it's how the public want to hear music, apparently. It started with European dance music, mainly French, and then moved to rock/metal. Producers seemed to get in to a volume war with each other to the detriment of the final product. Sometimes the recording artist will ask for the mastering to be re-done but a lot of the time they have no input"

He personally thought maxing everything at the final stage was pointless and refuses to do it.

[quote name='wjoyce' post='1357378' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:07 PM']I've listened to it a few times and I'm reserving judgement on the songs so far. It took me a while to get into Stadium Arcadium.

HOWEVER, the mastering is atrocious. Just like Californication it's overly compressed and distorted throughout. Why spend so much money producing an album only to ruin it during the mastering process. sigh.[/quote]

Dreadful isnt it!

I dont get it at all, and I wont master like that for anyone, as far as I am concerned I care enough about the music not to ruin it for that last 1.5dB RMS.

Worse still is when you destroy the sound like this it only ever sounds even woprse on radio, which was one of the srguments for louder masters in the past.

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='1358462' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:34 AM']On stadium arcadium the vinyl had a different master and sounded much much nicer and more open/spacious. I'm actually thinking of buying an record player because there are now a number of new albums which sound better on vinyl.[/quote]

CDs and vinyl should be mastered totally differently (as should digital downloads).
Vinyl normally does have a much less compressed, wall of noise mastering. I'll always go for a vinyl option, if there is one (along with a download for my iPod).

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='1358462' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:34 AM']On stadium arcadium the vinyl had a different master and sounded much much nicer and more open/spacious. I'm actually thinking of buying an record player because there are now a number of new albums which sound better on vinyl.[/quote]

That makes sense. The physical restrictions of vinyl mean that they can't get away with it as easily. For example, excessive bass could cause the needle to jump out of the groove, so they have to master it accordingly.

Edited by wjoyce

Well kinda, its excessive bass peaks that cause the needle to jump out of the groove.

If you have everything banging headlong into a brickwall limioter (like the issue at hand here) then you get greater overall volume at the expense of the peaks. That is to say the ratio of RMS level to Peak level is higher.

So the song is louder on average, but has no peaks, so no punch and a huge amount of distortion.

In short it sounds like 5h1t

Downloaded this finally yeasterday and I'm actually quite enjoying this album, esspecially even you brutus?, happiness loves company and factory of faith. Also managed to learn my first chilli pepers bass line, the adventures of rain dance maggie although the chorus is still causing me a few problems.

[quote name='JoshL' post='1360008' date='Sep 2 2011, 03:49 PM']Also managed to learn my first chilli pepers bass line, the adventures of rain dance maggie although the chorus is still causing me a few problems.[/quote]

Awesome. I worked it out a bit earlier & have just been playing it round & round since. It's a great line & is making me enjoy the song more, I agree about the chorus it's just not what you expect/want it to be.

Listened through it a couple of times, not bad but not brilliant either. At least didn't repeat the mistake of churning out a double album with barely a single album's worth of good stuff on it. Of the last 3 I'd still go for By The Way by some margin but I'm not a big Chilis fan to start with.

[quote name='Mornats' post='1360059' date='Sep 2 2011, 04:19 PM']I do like the bass tone on this album. A mate at work (who has built around 17 guitars/basses) is an EMG pickup fan and the first thing he mentioned was that the bass tone is an EMG one. No idea what bass it is but 'tis a nice sound.[/quote]
Sounds just like a 'ray in places to me. :)

I downloaded it (by alternative means :) ) today and managed to get over half way through before wandering off and listening to some City of Ships elsewhere instead.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1360133' date='Sep 2 2011, 05:09 PM']Sounds just like a 'ray in places to me. :lol:

I downloaded it (by alternative means :) ) today and managed to get over half way through before wandering off and listening to some City of Ships elsewhere instead.[/quote]

didnt even get that far ... managed to get through about half of the previews on the itunes thingy before getting distracted by something shiny :)