Why become a member? ×

I think I have seen the greatest bass in the world!

merello

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw...player_embedded[/url]

Where's our resident Ox to get photos of it and tell me the history? :)

Colour? Orange - check!
Neck? Fender Jazz - check!
Body? Explorer! - check!

Edited by merello

I've just been reading that page, when one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while jumped out at me: "The bass was so loud on stage The Who and their road crew used to vacate my side of the stage whenever I played it."

A. It's the amp, not the bass, John.
B. Turn it down a bit, John.

:)

If that had come from a guitarist, I know what I'd be calling him... :)

Edited by Muzz

I always smile when I see this photo:

with two Sunn 412L 4x12 cabs (outside top); two Sunn 312 3x12 cabs (inside top); two Sunn W 1x18 reflex bins (inside bottom), with 18″ Vega speakers; two Sunn 1x18 cabinets (silver-grille), with 18″ Vega speakers (outside bottom).

Imagine turning up to a pub with all that!

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' post='1347753' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:44 AM']I always smile when I see this photo:

with two Sunn 412L 4x12 cabs (outside top); two Sunn 312 3x12 cabs (inside top); two Sunn W 1x18 reflex bins (inside bottom), with 18″ Vega speakers; two Sunn 1x18 cabinets (silver-grille), with 18″ Vega speakers (outside bottom).

Imagine turning up to a pub with all that![/quote]

Haha, love the ONE mic!

[quote name='merello' post='1347412' date='Aug 21 2011, 07:31 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw...player_embedded[/url]

Where's our resident Ox to get photos of it and tell me the history? :)

Colour? Orange - check!
Neck? Fender Jazz - check!
Body? Explorer! - check![/quote]

I can't watch the clip at work but if it's the bass I'm thinking of, surely it's a Precision neck? JE found the Jazz ones too thin at the nut.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1347738' date='Aug 22 2011, 08:10 AM']I've just been reading that page, when one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while jumped out at me: "The bass was so loud on stage The Who and their road crew used to vacate my side of the stage whenever I played it."

:)

If that had come from a guitarist, I know what I'd be calling him... :)[/quote]

That quote is referring to the 8 string Alembic Explorer, not the pink explorer by Peter Cook. Just for the records.

I still see a lot of John's equipment on eBay - guitars, basses, amps, clothes, straps, strings, picks - the lot! This is one of his most sought after basses though AFAIK, along with the Franken-P and his Statii. I actually played one of his Alembic Explorers in the past - he owned a few and used one of them on the famous Shepperton Studios WGFA isolated bass track. Absolutely wonderful bass with an XLR output! I still consider him my main inspiration and always will.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1347738' date='Aug 22 2011, 08:10 AM']I've just been reading that page, when one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while jumped out at me: "The bass was so loud on stage The Who and their road crew used to vacate my side of the stage whenever I played it."

:lol:

If that had come from a guitarist, I know what I'd be calling him... :)[/quote]

John's quote was perfectly reasonable if you ask me. His Alembic basses were known for their high output, which would have pushed his amps a lot harder.

And seriously, can you imagine JE turning down on stage? That's why he went deaf later on and ended up with that 'interesting' tone he got with the Status... :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1349008' date='Aug 23 2011, 02:06 PM']"I know this guitard, his guitars are high output so they push his amps harder. I can't imagine him turning down. He's gone deaf now, so his tone's rubbish."

Doesn't that sound good? :)[/quote]

That sounds dangerously close to Entwistle bashing, we don't take kindly to that round these parts... :)