Why become a member? ×

Wasps

lojo

Played an outdoor festival yesterday, and thoughout the 50min set I was comstanstly moving around in an attempt to keep a wasp from being around my hands and trousers (cut off jeans fearing it would go up:)) , after my wife commented I was moving around the stage more than usual and the drummer was quite assumed throughout, it did have an effect on my playing and those you could and see and hear from a distance would not have known what was going on, I must have looked really silly at times.

Anyway overall a good gig, but this wasp/wasps were a right pain and only seemed ti like me, anyone else had this ?

I know the advise is ignore them , but I've had one in my throat before so wasps scare me more than they should

Edited by lojo

Outdoor gigs can be a nightmare at this time of year cos wasp nests have "matured" and therefore stopped producing food for the workers. That's why there's so many chasing our food and drink. Wasps should be controlled by the organisers tho. Proper wasp traps (not some half full jam jar or coke bottle can be put up a week before the festival and they will trap "scout" wasps which in turn will stop them bringing all their friends to the party.

Unfortunately most festival organisers don't really know that they can do anything about them. Their not obliged to either and nobody has ever been prosecuted for not controlling wasps on their site with all fatal stings being classed as an "act of god". Theme parks etc spend tens of thousands of pounds on wasp control every year.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1347013' date='Aug 21 2011, 11:20 AM']Someone died just 'round the corner as a result of (multiple) wasp stings...
Apparently, the nest got disturbed, and that was that :)[/quote]

One of my mates, from way back, was allergic to wasp and bee stings. He found out when he got stung on his throat and it instantly swelled up and closed his windpipe down. Within about 3 mins he was struggling for breath. Fortunately he was just able to breathe enough to get to the hospital.
:)

I wore baggy lightweight trousers for a gig once and a wasp flew up there during the second song - I didn't get stung but I did invent about 8 new dance styles in less than 3 minutes!

I should've taken a lesson from Rawlinson End and worn bicycle clips :)

Edited by chaypup

Nasty beasts.
I've been doing a job outside today near to some plum trees. The bumper crop of fallen fruit was attracting far too many of the b*gg*rs.
Got me thinking about one of the side-effects of the smoking ban and general swing against smoking.
There's nothing like lighting up to drive away flying beasties, whatever you may choose to smoke....

Wasps are actually one of the most important of all insects. They feed other insects to their larvae. In order for a nest to reach full size (about the same vol as a basketball) they will take about 4-6 tons of flies, mosquito's, flying ants and pretty much any other hard shelled insect including small cockroaches. If you imagine that a ton of insects will fill about 12 of the big ton sacks they use for gravel and sand and that there's up to 1000 nests per square mile in the uk it becomes clear that without them we'd be up to our gregories in bugs.

They are bastards tho......

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1348228' date='Aug 22 2011, 06:34 PM']Wasps are actually one of the most important of all insects. They feed other insects to their larvae. In order for a nest to reach full size (about the same vol as a basketball) they will take about 4-6 tons of flies, mosquito's, flying ants and pretty much any other hard shelled insect including small cockroaches. If you imagine that a ton of insects will fill about 12 of the big ton sacks they use for gravel and sand and that there's up to 1000 nests per square mile in the uk it becomes clear that without them we'd be up to our gregories in bugs.

They are bastards tho......[/quote]
You sir,are an apologist for the insect worlds own SS.

[quote name='chaypup' post='1347317' date='Aug 21 2011, 05:42 PM']I wore baggy lightweight trousers for a gig once and a wasp flew up there during the second song - I didn't get stung but I did invent about 8 new dance styles in less than 3 minutes!

I should've taken a lesson from Rawlinson End and worn bicycle clips :)[/quote]

Happened to me one summer when i was 13 years old. I recall it as if it were only yesterday. There I was natterring away to my freinds in my shiny Dr Martens polished to a mirror finish with [color="#FF0000"]Tuxen Red [/color]and wearing a pair of brown/orange oxford bags (hey give me a break it was 1976, everyone but the SeX pISt0lS and the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromley_Contingent"]Bromley coningent [/url]was wearing flairs, even old grandads and milkmen etc) All of a suddenI felt a sting on my shin l and quickly jumped up, only to feel another on my knee. suddenly i realized what had happed. Wasps! [i]close quarter sneak attack up the pant leg [/i] To my horror I suddenly sussed it was heading upwards, to my knackers! I grabbed both hands around the top of my thigh as tight as i could and told my puzzled mated to "hit me there" as I looked towrds my thigh and shouted "Ive been stung and its getting higher"
A few seconds and a plethora of punches to my legs later, a dead squashed was fell out the bottom of my copius trouser leg. I pulled my trousers up to see the damage (yes young uns in those days you didnt need to pull down your kecks you coukd pull them up) and my leg had 4 or 5 stings in it. Much to the amusement of my pals who re enacted it for everyone who came onto the field.

I strongly belive that was the day I started to react against flaired trousers, though it too untill the summer of 1978 before i did away with all my trousers of the wide variety and started wearing '"dranpipes" for good

Edited by daz

[quote name='bartelby' post='1347028' date='Aug 21 2011, 11:32 AM']One of my mates, from way back, was allergic to wasp and bee stings. He found out when he got stung on his throat and it instantly swelled up and closed his windpipe down. Within about 3 mins he was struggling for breath. Fortunately he was just able to breathe enough to get to the hospital.
:)[/quote]

I've tried inhaling bumble bees before.
Got stung on the tongue (Don't try that at home! It hurts!) and on the inside of the lower lip (not as bad, since I bit the venom sac out of my lip and squeezed a lot of the venom out of the wound with my teeth and spat it out)

Both were extremely swollen. I think any "internal" stings react very badly, allergies/anaphylaxis notwithstanding.

I was cycling on both occasions, BTW!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1348453' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:43 PM']I've tried inhaling bumble bees before.[/quote]

Whoa! that sounds like a scene from [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_(TV_series)"]Bottom[/url]! :) :) (Rik Mayal & Ade Edmoundson)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1348449' date='Aug 22 2011, 09:37 PM']Happened to me one summer when i was 13 years old. I recall it as if it were only yesterday. There I was natterring away to my freinds in my shiny Dr Martens polished to a mirror finish with [color="#FF0000"]Tuxen Red [/color]and wearing a pair of brown/orange oxford bags (hey give me a break it was 1976, everyone but the SeX pISt0lS and the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromley_Contingent"]Bromley coningent [/url]was wearing flairs, even old grandads and milkmen etc) All of a suddenI felt a sting on my shin l and quickly jumped up, only to feel another on my knee. suddenly i realized what had happed. Wasps! [i]close quarter sneak attack up the pant leg [/i] To my horror I suddenly sussed it was heading upwards, to my knackers! I grabbed both hands around the top of my thigh as tight as i could and told my puzzled mated to "hit me there" as I looked towrds my thigh and shouted "Ive been stung and its getting higher"
A few seconds and a plethora of punches to my legs later, a dead squashed was fell out the bottom of my copius trouser leg. I pulled my trousers up to see the damage (yes young uns in those days you didnt need to pull down your kecks you coukd pull them up) and my leg had 4 or 5 stings in it. Much to the amusement of my pals who re enacted it for everyone who came onto the field.

I strongly belive that was the day I started to react against flaired trousers, though it too untill the summer of 1978 before i did away with all my trousers of the wide variety and started wearing '"dranpipes" for good[/quote]

Ah yes, 1976 a classic year for amusing wasp attacks clearly. One flew up the back of my dress while I was camping with pals, and I had to quickly whip my dress off to to the general amusement of assorted teenagers in the tent. At least that's how I remember it. I'm sticking to the story that a wasp was involved...

Edited by seashell