Why become a member? ×

Flea using his flea bass in the new RHCP video

dan2112

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1344739' date='Aug 18 2011, 07:31 PM']I have a used Flea Bass in our shop. Cost around £350 new. Probably the worst bass I've ever played. He's obviously just using it for the video.[/quote]
He's not joking...it's horrible.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1344739' date='Aug 18 2011, 07:31 PM']I have a used Flea Bass in our shop. Cost around £350 new. Probably the worst bass I've ever played. He's obviously just using it for the video.[/quote]

+1. Also judging by that song it seems RHCP are going to really miss frusciente's bv's.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1344748' date='Aug 18 2011, 07:38 PM']+1. Also judging by that song it seems RHCP are going to really miss frusciente's bv's.[/quote]
+1 on the lack of Frusciante's bv's! I haven't hear anything good about those flea basses!

Ive played a flea bass before to, they really are dreadful. Though they are about £220/£200 in GuitarGuitar, which is still over priced considering their build quality.

I feel sorry for the kids who get them because of the name. But if it gets kids playing bass and not guitar, its surely got to be a win.

Dan

[quote name='Johnston' post='1344769' date='Aug 18 2011, 07:56 PM']But then is there anything that will put anyone off quicker than a crap instrument ?[/quote]

Very true, but if flea is your idol (I know he was mine at 16), then you'll play anything. If it has his name on it, even better. Thats certainly how I look at it.

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1344801' date='Aug 18 2011, 08:14 PM']Very true, but if flea is your idol (I know he was mine at 16), then you'll play anything. If it has his name on it, even better. Thats certainly how I look at it.

Dan[/quote]

Iv bought most of my basses, aged 14-17 because someone i liked played them. This includes an epiphone thunderbird, which is probably worse than the flea bass in terms of playability. EDIT: I didnt like the coated neck or the narrow string spacing on the thunderbird.

Edited by blackmn90

When the song started I thought "this is really good" but as it wore on, I got a bit tired of it.

Great bass riff in the verse, but I think as blackmn90 said, bvs really missing. The chorus just disn`t lift, and am sure some bvs would have helped that.

i was realy dissapointed in the song, the verses were cool, i was waiting for an upbeat chorus but it was just a bit naff :)
And i played a fleabass, it was just a crap stingray copy, the neck was ok, but it was atached to the body badly, and the electronics were shocking, no tone whatsoever :)

I love my Fleabass. The quality seems to vary a lot, you have to be lucky to find one that is finished well but when you find one it is a lovely instrument. The only thing that I was not completely happy with was the sound of the stock pickup, it was a bit bland. I replaced it with an EMG 35DC; it sounds and plays better now than basses that cost twice as much. :)

/edit
I have watched the video now and there are some visual differences between a Fleabass and the bass in the video. The bass that he plays has three knobs instead of two and the output jack is on the side of the body instead of the front.

Edited by John Schoen

The bass I've got is extremely bland sounding, and there's no power whatsoever. I tried raising the pickup, but the screws just came out without any effect on the actual pickup itself

I looked up the spec on this bass and the Street one at £249 and couldn't see any difference to justify the price.

Absolute pile of crap.

Never really been a RHCP fan although I do like a couple of songs and adore the song Aeroplane but I did really like that song. I thought the drums sounded amazing and the bass was groovy also. The thing that annoys me about RHCP is they have never matured and still jump around like they are 16 and think its cool to do. Just wish they would strip away also the gimmicks and sillyness and take themselves seriously for once. Good song still.