Why become a member? ×

Bass Doc Electric IV

benebass

Hi - thought I'd post a few pics of this beauty, which was put together by The Bass Doc over the last few months. He somehow managed to make sense of my ropey attempts at graphic design & turn them into this: -

[attachment=87105:IMGP2544.JPG] [attachment=87106:IMGP2545.JPG] [attachment=87108:IMGP2542.JPG]

Neck - Made by the late, great Jim Cairnes years ago & is a slightly smaller 32" scale, with a really comfy fit for me. The decal was put together by Rothko & Frost, who did a great job. Over the years Jim & the Doc quietly put together some amazing custom builds up here in the North East. I wanted to acknowledge this rather than just whacking a Fender decal on, so ended up with pre-CBS Jazzmaster 'J&H' logo that sits nicely on the painted headstock. I settled on Electric IV for the name - blatantly inspired by the Fender Electric XII guitar...

Body - Tulipwood. Not a wood that seems to be used a lot by luthiers, but a great sound board. The shape is a sort of Jaguar / Jazz Bass hybrid - the Doc did a great job here & kept the Jaguar look, but streched it slightly for better balance. It's finished in Dakota Red & the Doc suggested the pearloid plate, which is a classic combo. The shape is an adaption of the '70s Tele Thinline idea - like the way it fits in with the whole offset shape.

Machines - Think they're Schallers.

Bridge - ABM. Well-crafted piece of kit. The string spacing is a touch smaller than Fender standard, so the adjustable saddles were really useful.

Electrics - Kent Armstrong vintage hot P & J (the WD ones), with passive vol/vol/tone. Had to put a neck J at the bridge for the string spacing to fit with the (hidden) pole pieces.

It's currently strung with Status flats, which are pretty dead sounding - in a good way :)

Really pleased with how it turned out - cheers Howard!

B.

Edited by benebass

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1341517' date='Aug 16 2011, 09:28 AM']Cheers Ben.

Good piccies. I particularly like the body shot where you appear in the reflection of all three knobs.

Trust it's settling in OK and presumably you're as happy as a man with three knobs. :)[/quote]

It's settling in just fine - think I'm as happy as a man with four! :)

Cheers,

B.

Now, all you have to do is take a sander to it, let everyone know you found it in an uncles loft oh and that you don't know anything about guitars........

It'll be worth a fortune on eBay :)

Joking aside, it looks stunning.

You must be well pleased and I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

Jim passed away in May.

I attended a money-raising testimonial gig for him earlier. Jim was in fairly good fettle at that event, though obviously weak.

There were a few local bands featured, some playing his gutars, but one line-up played 'Spirit in the Sky' with Jim sitting in the front row. Maybe they thought it was apprpriate :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1342686' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:14 AM']Jim passed away in May.

I attended a money-raising testimonial gig for him earlier. Jim was in fairly good fettle at that event, though obviously weak.

There were a few local bands featured, some playing his gutars, but one line-up played 'Spirit in the Sky' with Jim sitting in the front row. Maybe they thought it was apprpriate :)[/quote]

Again, slightly off topic . . . .

Sorry to hear that. :)

I have been thinking of doing a feature on him, in my blog - bit like the Peter Cook one.
Once again, something like this reminds me not to think about things too much and
just go on and do it!!!!

Anyone else have a Jim Cairnes?

I had a Jazz built by howard many years ago, gorgeous ash body and one of jims necks, birdseye maple with an ebony board, had the usual Badass/seymour duncan/schaller bits, it sounded amazing but weighed more than tank!! was recently listening to some recordings of it, just fantastic, i wonder who ended up with it :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...