Why become a member? ×

Lightweight or D class amp that sounds like a Valve amp

thebassman

Hi basschatters

I am considering an amp change, i am looking for a lightweight or valve state amp that sounds like a big valve amp.

It would be nice if it has a good solid tone out of the box, without too much faffing around, and then have the ability to turn the valve distortion sound up and down.

I have never had the opportunity to try out any of the modern amps like TC, Genz etc.

I have had a few valve state amps like the Ampeg SVT 3 pro and now my Mesa M6.

Although i like the sound of these, they can't do the natural distortion sound i am looking for.

I am using a Stingray 5 and Mesa 2*12 cab and don't really want to change these.

Any suggestions

cheers

thebassman

Edited by thebassman

+1 on te OTB. Consensus seems to be it's the best "all valve" a like than most in it's price range. The RH450 is also good but it's an amp you hbe to try out and compare with others to see if it's right for you.

LittlemarkRocker I like, from Mark bass, although some say it's a little bit to hissy gain, not te full wool type people usually want.

genz streamliner is supposedly good but not heard it myself. Also the Genz Benz shuttle is capable of tube overdrive but some would say it's difficult to work with, the gain stage is confusing and the EQ is a little limiting.

Another popular choice is getting something like the LittleMark 2/3 then using a sansamp pedal for the tube like OD.

You shouldn't have to change bass or cab to get what you are after.

Although if you the opportunity to try stiff that's out there do it, also think about returns policy as something that's ace in store may not be for you in a real world situation(at gigs)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1339737' date='Aug 14 2011, 04:35 PM']+1 on te OTB. Consensus seems to be it's the best "all valve" a like than most in it's price range. The RH450 is also good but it's an amp you hbe to try out and compare with others to see if it's right for you.

LittlemarkRocker I like, from Mark bass, although some say it's a little bit to hissy gain, not te full wool type people usually want.

genz streamliner is supposedly good but not heard it myself. Also the Genz Benz shuttle is capable of tube overdrive but some would say it's difficult to work with, the gain stage is confusing and the EQ is a little limiting.

Another popular choice is getting something like the LittleMark 2/3 then using a sansamp pedal for the tube like OD.

You shouldn't have to change bass or cab to get what you are after.

Although if you the opportunity to try stiff that's out there do it, also think about returns policy as something that's ace in store may not be for you in a real world situation(at gigs)[/quote]

All seems to make sense.

I would love to try out the Terror bass, i know people say it is a one trick pony, but it might just be what i'm looking for. I am a bit wary though, as i had a bad incident recently with an Orange AD200..... with my set up, it sounded really horrible.

Just been on Bass direct, has anyone got or tried the Mark bass TTE 500, looks fantastic and it's not yellow :)

Any more suggestions

Edited by thebassman

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1339761' date='Aug 14 2011, 04:52 PM']I don't think a shuttle sounds like what the op is after but how can the gain stage be confusing? Gain knob, pre amp volume knob and master volume knob like almost every other amp I have seen. Genz Streamliner sounds more like what the op needs to try, Have you seen the ed friedland clips? :)[/quote]

I will do a search for those clips, cheers.

I chose the TC Classic 450 over the Orange Terror Bass as I thought it was more flexible. Not only can you get the tube sound (which IMO was easier to dial in something useable in the Classic 450) but you can turn it down and it is a lot cleaner. But it is all so subjective!

But another contender - out of my price range at the time - would possibly be the Little Mark Tube?

+1 for the TC Classic/RH450 - with the advent of the RH750, the 450's a lot nearer the Classic in price now, so if the extras (presets, tuner, rear connectors, etc) are what interest you, it's worth a look.

I don't like the LM Tube/Rocker, either, tho I expected I would, because I really liked the LMIII - just goes to illustrate how you really, really, need to try them out first. A day trip to Bass Direct would be a great idea - Mark has most of the Class D stuff in, so you can A-B till you're blue in the face.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1341834' date='Aug 16 2011, 01:09 PM']+1 for the TC Classic/RH450 - with the advent of the RH750, the 450's a lot nearer the Classic in price now, so if the extras (presets, tuner, rear connectors, etc) are what interest you, it's worth a look.

I don't like the LM Tube/Rocker, either, tho I expected I would, because I really liked the LMIII - just goes to illustrate how you really, really, need to try them out first. A day trip to Bass Direct would be a great idea - Mark has most of the Class D stuff in, so you can A-B till you're blue in the face.[/quote]

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and the trial offer Charic.
I will try and get myself up to bass direct in the next week or so, I will let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Thebassman

i used to own a trace elliot which wasnt too bad,however i have recently got a RH450 and its a great bit of kit.The tube is very easy to use and has a good range and very punchy.I describe this amp as small but perfectly formed....much better than trace elliot i used to have.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1339761' date='Aug 14 2011, 04:52 PM']I don't think a shuttle sounds like what the op is after but how can the gain stage be confusing? Gain knob, pre amp volume knob and master volume knob like almost every other amp I have seen. Genz Streamliner sounds more like what the op needs to try, Have you seen the ed friedland clips? :)[/quote]

I've really only ever used amp with a single input volume or gain knob. On valve amps or valve pre-amped it's usually a gain knob that hasa point of where it goes from clean to dirty to insane, like the OTB, makes much more sense, no? However the manual IIRC for the shuttle says if the gain knob is turned up you should turn the input/pre-amp volume down. It would have been more simple an cost effective to hbe one knob that goes from clean to dirty like a simple tube amp.

I wouldn't get the LMTube. The tube sounds great if you want those glistening second and third harmonics, but it won't give you the sound that something like the OTB does.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1342475' date='Aug 16 2011, 10:06 PM']I've really only ever used amp with a single input volume or gain knob. On valve amps or valve pre-amped it's usually a gain knob that hasa point of where it goes from clean to dirty to insane, like the OTB, makes much more sense, no? However the manual IIRC for the shuttle says if the gain knob is turned up you should turn the input/pre-amp volume down. It would have been more simple an cost effective to hbe one knob that goes from clean to dirty like a simple tube amp.

I wouldn't get the LMTube. The tube sounds great if you want those glistening second and third harmonics, but it won't give you the sound that something like the OTB does.[/quote]

Its just the same as an Ashdown and many others where you have valve drive, grind or blend or whatever you want to call it along side the input knob. I can have full volume clean at the input then exploit it with the full output stage if you did as you say and wanted a clean sound the signal to the EQ section/output stage would be much reduced. The only reason you need to reduce the volume if you add loads of valve gain is its too powerful and overloads everything if you dont, on an Ashdown it just sends the VU needle of the dial. Quite a basic normal set up IMO where a blend valve rather than valve only pre amp is on offer. I have them both at 12 o'clock all the time anyway just clips the red light on if you really hammer it and has just a little valve warmth without getting even close to Ampeg territory. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1342475' date='Aug 16 2011, 10:06 PM']I've really only ever used amp with a single input volume or gain knob. On valve amps or valve pre-amped it's usually a gain knob that hasa point of where it goes from clean to dirty to insane, like the OTB, makes much more sense, no?[/quote]

Just read this again and thats defo where your getting mixed up, The idea of a blend rather than the typical setup like a guitar amp of input/output is to give many more options. The shuttle can go from super and I mean super clean to actually quite gritty, much more than I would ever need TBH all without losing the volume that the single knob amps would. I did use the full valve gain for Blur's Song 2 once as it was just a request on the fly and my zoom was not set up, Put gain to full and reduced the input volume a bit (only needed a bit) and it was quite passable for that situation and took what 15 seconds to get?

The streamliner takes this method further I beleive by blending more knobs and valves (3) to get even more sounds, The good folk here seem to think they are simple enough to work with too. Like I said they are not for me as I dont use what valve grit I have now so more not being used is not worth if for me but could be what the OP is after, Mark at Bass Direct will no doubt show him one with all the others mentioned in the thread, he might even just do what Gareth Musicman20 does and buy them all! :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

The Streamliner is pretty well liked by the tube amp crowd - have a read through the megathread on Talkbass if you have a day or so spare. I can see why - it does clean / warm / fuzzy-around-the-edges valve amp incredibly well.

I'm not sure it's the answer if you want flat-out tube grind, though.

And yes, the Promethean is very warm for a solid-state class D. I preferred it to the TC.

After fiddling with the Streamliner 900, Ive really grown to love it (again).

My tip for any 'tube grind' (if you want it full on) with the Streamliner is:

Gain full
Volume at 9-10 ish
Bass 10
Mids 3 (600 setting)
Treble 1-2

Make sure you use a pick, and have your tone control up full/treble rolled up if active. Sound pretty close to the Orange Bass Terror, just a different flavour!

Edit: Make sure the Gain button is pressed on.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1342772' date='Aug 17 2011, 09:42 AM']After fiddling with the Streamliner 900, Ive really grown to love it (again).

My tip for any 'tube grind' (if you want it full on) with the Streamliner is:

Gain full
Volume at 9-10 ish
Bass 10
Mids 3 (600 setting)
Treble 1-2

Make sure you use a pick, and have your tone control up full/treble rolled up if active. Sound pretty close to the Orange Bass Terror, just a different flavour![/quote]

thats pretty similar to how i have my streamliner set, and i think it sounds great

[quote name='bozzie' post='1342903' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:15 AM']thats pretty similar to how i have my streamliner set, and i think it sounds great[/quote]

I am not sure you would ever find a class D amp with the slam of a valve amp.... possibly the tone though with some of the HT preamps and of course sansamps that are now available. The problem is the mismatch between a switch mode power supply and the class D amplifier module. It is possibility the worst combination, simply because a switch mode can only really deliver a constant current without any dynamic peaks, whereas a class D amp module is all about dynamic peaks they have a very variable current draw. So while these little amps are loud they do not have the slam of a all valve system and the articulate and dynamic nature of an all valve system. But hey they are light! If you want solid state emulation without the weight you should be looking at something like a tech 21 landmark 300/600 they are basically a sansamp as a preamp with a mosfet power amp. They can be made to sound exactly like an SVT but are some 40kg lighter! or you good try a sansamp with the normal mosfet power amps or for that matter any other valve preamp should do the trick!!!!

Ta