Why become a member? ×

Lightweight or D class amp that sounds like a Valve amp

thebassman

I bought a Streamliner from Mark at Bass Direct just yesterday (and a pair of Bergantino AE112's).

I A/B/C'd the RH750, the GB Shuttle 9.0 and the Streamliner and I felt the Streamliner suited the tone that I wanted the best.
Mark gave some great advice and encouraged me to come back (I first went on Friday afternoon) with my own bass.

For me the RH750 didn't sound quite fat enough, I've read the power thread thing and it doesn't bother me(236 watts RMS vs. 450 comparable watts) but I really thought I could hear a compression of the signal. This may be fantastic for live playing as it seemed to boost the mid frequencies when set flat which no doubt will help with cutting through in a live situation, but it wasn't quite for me.

The Shuttle was great but a bit to clinical for my style. The Streamliner (to my ears) was fantastic. I've yet to gig it, but I will try and put some feedback on here when I do.

Some other tips Mark gave me which I think are worth passing on:

- Try the amps before you buy, everyone has different sounds that suit their style.
- If you take a trip to Bass Direct pack your bass in the car before you set out!!!

I can thoroughly recommend a trip to Bass Direct, Mark was really helpful and at no point seemed to get pissed off with me taking up all of his time (I spent about 4 hrs there between Friday/Saturday)! Take your credit card though, there's nothing cheap in the shop and if you're anything like me you'll end up coming out sweating with how you're going to explain all this new gear to the missus.

Edited by steve_fletch78

Good advice there, especially about taking your bass, though in these kindof instances, I just make sure the shop has a Precision available - playing the Volvo & labrador of the bass world does have it`s advantages :)

But seriously, if you have a specific bass that isn`t around much, or a regular one that has been modded, it`s the only real way of determining if you will like the amp or not.

[quote name='steve_fletch78' post='1354200' date='Aug 28 2011, 11:36 AM']....you'll end up coming out sweating with how you're going to explain all this new gear to the missus....[/quote]
Yep. Anyone else go there with the intention to buy 1 thing (in my case a cab) and leave having bought 2? My wife came for the ride, so she was cool!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1354247' date='Aug 28 2011, 12:22 PM']Yep. Anyone else go there with the intention to buy 1 thing (in my case a cab) and leave having bought 2? My wife came for the ride, so she was cool![/quote]

the last visit i went looking for a cab, i bought a bergantino AE210, although i now appreciate a pair would have been better, I thought the other half wouldn't be impressed, after a good chat, a few days laterI thought i'd go back for the second one, but it was too late, it was sold.

In future perhaps i should have gone with my instinct, you live and learn......

Edited by bozzie

[quote name='bozzie' post='1354358' date='Aug 28 2011, 02:49 PM']the last visit i went looking for a cab, i bought a bergantino AE210, although i now appreciate a pair would have been better, I thought the other half wouldn't be impressed, after a good chat, a few days laterI thought i'd go back for the second one, but it was too late, it was sold.

In future perhaps i should have gone with my instinct, you live and learn......[/quote]

There are loads of hot women around you see them all the time but them nice Bergantino's are getting hard to come by :)