Why become a member? ×

Best bass for industrial rock

pickle

As always there is no "best bass" or "best for" anything in the music world really

I'd personally say the P but thats me as i like P-basses over Jazz basses

It's down to preferance and what you like in a sound and in the overall mix.

For industrial rock (i've played industrial rock and metal and it's all about sounding edgy and i've never found Geddy Lee style edge worked but thats IME and IMHO!) i'd use something with alot of punch, and choose soapbars ideally but of the two i'd say the precision

^
All IME, IMHO and of course YMMV

I hope we don't have more "best... for..." threads or we'll end up like *that* bass forum (Shudder)
:)

This rings of "newbie bassist". The fact is, the bass that is best for you is what you should be taking, as the initial question is akin to "how long is a piece of string".

That said, I'd take the jazz but it doesn't really matter as you won't really be able to tell what bass you're playing once you've got the requisite distortion ladled on.

Edited by Chris2112

As I said in the OP's previous thread, Industrial Rock covers such a wide range of styles that the question being asked here is almost meaningless without context - what is the overall sound and look of the band?

To give some examples, when I saw Ministry on the Psalm 69 tour their bassist was mostly using Thunderbirds. Most of the Industrial music I was listening to in the 80s didn't have any bass guitar on it at all, the bottom end being produced by sequenced synthesisers. Finally the two bands generally acknowledged as starting the industrial music scene are best known for playing short-scale "Jap-crap" basses - Cabaret Voltaire used a Violin Bass and Throbbing Gristle something EB-shaped.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1339336' date='Aug 14 2011, 09:20 AM']As I said in the OP's previous thread, Industrial Rock covers such a wide range of styles that the question being asked here is almost meaningless without context - what is the overall sound and look of the band?

To give some examples, when I saw Ministry on the Psalm 69 tour their bassist was mostly using Thunderbirds. Most of the Industrial music I was listening to in the 80s didn't have any bass guitar on it at all, the bottom end being produced by sequenced synthesisers. Finally the two bands generally acknowledged as starting the industrial music scene are best known for playing short-scale "Jap-crap" basses - Cabaret Voltaire used a Violin Bass and Throbbing Gristle something EB-shaped.[/quote]Gen of Throbbing Gristle also used Hohner headless basses. Raven when playing for Killing Joke used a nice black Status headless.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1339209' date='Aug 13 2011, 11:22 PM'][/quote]

This is probably a good choice. With Industrial being as 'old hat' as it is, you'll need to try and look ironic and self-deprecating to save face, and a bright yellow Daisy Rock is just the way to say "this is all a joke, actually".

I tried [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/esp-horizon-pre-owned/"]this ESP Horizon[/url] earlier today - definitely a 'rock' bass and it's black with both P & J pickups so you get best of both options & has a nice low B for thundering bass lines - not sure if that makes it good for industrial but it was certainly pretty impressive :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1339810' date='Aug 14 2011, 05:41 PM']It's a shame that ESP have made loads of interesting guitars and basses that were never sold outside of Japan for whatever reason, so that makes the Horizon there quite a rare find![/quote]

It really was nice, I'm not a 5 string player so not for me but the neck was great & I found I could really get around it easily :)

out of p and j i'd have to say p - agreeing with the "thump" comment!

but really you should be looking at something with a mudbucker for some rumble! theres no need for articulation in and industrial music i've heard!

saw rob zombie on tour and thats a p bass he uses - does the job, although i'd say theres some octaver stuff going on there!

[quote name='molan' post='1339791' date='Aug 14 2011, 05:21 PM']I tried [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/esp-horizon-pre-owned/"]this ESP Horizon[/url] earlier today - definitely a 'rock' bass and it's black with both P & J pickups so you get best of both options & has a nice low B for thundering bass lines - not sure if that makes it good for industrial but it was certainly pretty impressive :)

[/quote]
Mmmm shexy. :)