Why become a member? ×

Creating my own rehearsal space

Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1340838' date='Aug 15 2011, 04:26 PM']We'll just have to stop using it for a couple of weeks each year.

:)

In truth, the 2-door design coupled with two smokers in the band just means that we'll need a fag-break every 30 minutes with both doors open and a through draft.[/quote]

Open it up and run some fans!

[quote name='daz' post='1341184' date='Aug 15 2011, 09:09 PM']I hope that lots secure, i would hate to see it on here one day after being burgled :)
A few intruder/movement alarms might not go amiss ?[/quote]

Yup - security is in place!

Good call, though.

• 4 weeks later...

man i am envious. that is one damn nice nice man cave you have there! only trouble is i wouldnt bother going back in the house at all if i had one.

a wonderful thread to have watched but was sadly tarnished by the `nena` revelation! oh dear. its on my list of venomously hated songs along with chris de burgh and everything that oasis ever touted as music.

and as noted above, make sure you guard it well. maybe a little tower manned by a shot gun toting guard and some mains wired booby traps ready for the scum bags.

• 1 year later...

Outstanding!

I linked this thread to someone else asking about rehearsal rooms, which is how it got resurrected.

My studio (known as "The Junkyard") has been a complete success. I've rehearsed in there with half a dozen different bands, I've held mini-Bassbashes with different groups of Basschatters, I've played and practised in there endlessly, I've retreated there when I've needed to cut myself off from the world.

Nothing has yet failed or broken, none of the neighbours has yet complained, and all my kit has been kept safe and sound.

Bear in mind that the entire project cost me less than a second-hand car, and the only reason it cost as much as that is because I'd put my back out and had to pay others to do all the work.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1378629644' post='2202475']
I linked this thread to someone else asking about rehearsal rooms, which is how it got resurrected.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link Jack, fascinating. :)

I have a detached double garage full of junk which is also about 30 yards away from the nearest abode, so I will be scrutinising this thread very closely in the coming months...

Edited by discreet

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

And again!

This was the original 'Junkyard' studio, at my house in Chiswick.

Since then we've had Junkyard #2 in an industrial unit in Acton (2014-17) and now The Final Junkyard in Harrow.

Junkyard #2 needed virtually no setting-up at all, it just worked right from the off. It was alongside a freight rail-line, backed onto Bell Percussion and faced an all-night laundry, so noise was never going to be an issue.

The Final Junkyard is very much a re-visit of the first Junkyard, a single-garage conversion into a noise-reduced (but not soundproof) rehearsal space, with the great majority of the work being done by a keen DIY type.

Probably the biggest single difference with The Final Junkyard (you're singing along now, aren't you?) is that it has an industrial heating/aircon unit built into it, which makes it a genuinely comfortable place to be whatever the weather.

• 1 year later...
On 07/05/2018 at 15:09, Happy Jack said:

Probably the biggest single difference with The Final Junkyard (you're singing along now, aren't you?) is that it has an industrial heating/aircon unit built into it, which makes it a genuinely comfortable place to be whatever the weather.

What did the heating/aircon set you back, if you don't mind me asking? Does the climate need controlling for the sake of the instruments that live in there?

47 minutes ago, Dylpar said:

What did the heating/aircon set you back, if you don't mind me asking? Does the climate need controlling for the sake of the instruments that live in there?

In 2016, the aircon unit cost £800 plus £200 for necessary bits to install it plus £350 for the actual installation, so £1350 overall plus VAT to take it to £1620.

I don't imagine it's got any cheaper since then. This is an aircon rated for a small industrial unit, maybe 1500SF, installed in a space that's well below 500SF, so it's quite deliberate overkill.

In six years it has never missed a beat, never misbehaved, and given how much time I've spent in there I'm happy with the decision I made at the time.

To the very best of my knowledge, basses and amplification have no need for climate control. The only thing they respond really badly to is rapid change (in temperature or humidity or both), especially if that can lead to condensation. 

I, on the other hand, am a far more delicate petal ...

I know that I'm entering the world of 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted' here, but I loved reading through this thread.  Great to see all the pictures as the project developed. I've built a number of studios professionally, so if anyone is interested the key to getting really solid walls is different thicknesses of board - ideally plasterboard, fixed back to back.  So something like one 12.5mm sheet directly attached to a 9mm sheet.  Double that up each side of a batten wall, take care not to have co-incident joins and you can get quite impressive insulation.  The weak point is always the door (or window if you have one).  Almost impossible to get better than 20db isolation with a single leaf door.  Double doors are the answer if you have enough space, or a neat 'bung' as used in the above design!    

• Like 2

On 18/08/2022 at 21:58, Happy Jack said:

In 2016, the aircon unit cost £800 plus £200 for necessary bits to install it plus £350 for the actual installation, so £1350 overall plus VAT to take it to £1620.

I don't imagine it's got any cheaper since then. This is an aircon rated for a small industrial unit, maybe 1500SF, installed in a space that's well below 500SF, so it's quite deliberate overkill.

In six years it has never missed a beat, never misbehaved, and given how much time I've spent in there I'm happy with the decision I made at the time.

To the very best of my knowledge, basses and amplification have no need for climate control. The only thing they respond really badly to is rapid change (in temperature or humidity or both), especially if that can lead to condensation. 

I, on the other hand, am a far more delicate petal ...

Our rhythm guitarist owns his own aircon compamy.

Just before the heatwave hit he installed 2 x Mitsubishi aircon units at Chez Bassfinger for 2 gee.  He pretty much covered his costs and worked for free, which was very generous for 8 hours work