Why become a member? ×

Where to start?

bobogib

Thanks to SWMBO, once she picks it up, I am now the proud owner of my first bass. It's a Squier Jazz bass, not sure on exact model.

My question is, having never touched a bass before, where is the best place to start?

Edited by bobogib

Congrats on the new bass! Get familiar with what the instrument does, what it sounds like, how you approach playing it. Make it an aim to learn a simple tune so you can feel happy with yourself that you know something on your new instrument, there's no beating the feeling of pride in nailing that first ever song on bass.

I'd recommend buying some instructional material as well. Also, have a look on Youtube for beginner lessons and tips. A quick search brought me to this guy [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZpFObCSis&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZpFObCSis...;feature=relmfu[/url] who seems to have the right idea about the basics of bass. Good luck with it all.

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1331100' date='Aug 7 2011, 05:33 PM']Once you've got it tuned, learn your Blues, Major and Minor scales...[/quote]

That's a good starting point plus learn some songs so you don't get bored. You'll find all sorts of stuff on Youtube, type the name of your favourite songs and "bass lesson" you'll probably find something.

A lesson or two would be good so you don't get into any bad habits. Remember to relax as much as possible, fretting the note nearer the fret means you get a clean note with less pressure on the string.

Also get started learning the names of the notes on the bass, it's a bit of a chore but it'll come in useful whatever level you take your playing to.

reminds me of the old joke:

Lad asks for a bass and lessons.

1st week, comes home and tells his dad, I learned the key of E.
2nd week, comes home and tells his dad, I learned the key of A.
3rd week comes home really late.
Dad yells at him "where have you been?"

Son: "I just did my first gig"...........

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bobogib' post='1331095' date='Aug 7 2011, 05:31 PM']Thanks to SWMBO, once she picks it up, I am now the proud owner of my first bass. It's a Squier Jazz bass, not sure on exact model.

My question is, having never touched a bass before, where is the best place to start?[/quote]

Is this your first musical instrument ?.

In its simplest form playing bass means playing the root notes of the chord progression to coincide with bass drum and snare beats.

I see your in swindon, Id be happy to give you a few pointers in person to get you started.

Edited by bassman7755

Not my first instrument, can play rhythm guitar fairly well. Just had an urge to play bass, but as they are completely different instruments I thought I'd ask whats the best way to start.

Would enjoy the pointers bassman, but I'm not around for the next couple of weeks.

Guest bassman7755

Another hint - get into the habit of asking every guitarist you meet, when are they going to learn to play a real instrument :)

Edited by bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bobogib' post='1331182' date='Aug 7 2011, 06:29 PM']Not my first instrument, can play rhythm guitar fairly well. Just had an urge to play bass, but as they are completely different instruments I thought I'd ask whats the best way to start.

Would enjoy the pointers bassman, but I'm not around for the next couple of weeks.[/quote]

OK given that then I suggest leaning some simple songs in the genre of your choice - what sort of stuff are you into ?. You could start with ones you already know on guitar. As I already mentioned, the main thing to watch for is the drum pattern, you will have to be much more concious of this on bass than on rhythm guitar.

Edited by bassman7755

my advice is simple - just listen to, absorb and play everything you can. Learn where all the notes are, where they are an octave and two octaves above and your major and minor scales.

Most importantly, have fun. If you come across something you can't play, listen to some other stuff then come back to it and try again until you can. If it becomes annoying and a chore then you're doing it wrong. You want to be enjoying yourself.

While you're practicing, gear is irrelevant. I began at 11 and until I was 16 used a Marlin Slammer piece of sh*t precision copy with flaking chrome and never changed the strings through a Squier 15w guitar amp. You don't need anything fancy until you're about to start gigging

Edited by Delberthot

^^This.

After about 3 months, I can now pick up tunes pretty quick but also can fathom out the ones that are beyond my skill so tend to leave them alone if I can't get roughly there in 2 or 3 attempts.

I do practise scales (a few, anyway) and have pretty much learnt where the notes are on the fretboard (even if I do have to think about it on some notes), but mainly I play for my own enjoyment.

And I love both my Squier basses - they just feel and sound great. Enjoy!

Edited by fatboyslimfast

lessons lessons lessons lessons

Having said that,

When I started I had taken the trouble to learn the patterns for the major and minor scales and played them up and down the neck to death. It's takes a bit of time to build up enough strength and flexibility in your hands to be able to do anything much at all so some boring scale practice isn't a bad idea.

Get a bit of knowledge before lessons if possible. There are some great resources on the net as some have mentioned. At least learn major and minor scales then find a teacher. Take time to find a bass teacher and not a guitar teacher masquerading as a bass teacher.

Chord tones are essential to creating bass lines so if you are creating your own bass lines a knowledge of chords and how they are constructed is extremely valuable.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1332070' date='Aug 8 2011, 01:48 PM']Get a bit of knowledge before lessons if possible. There are some great resources on the net as some have mentioned. At least learn major and minor scales then find a teacher.[/quote]

Why do you feel you should learn some scales before you have lessons? If you go to
a good teacher you will learn these early on anyway and will be more likely to
learn how they work and understand them rather than copying a finger pattern off the
Internet,which is what a lot of people do.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1332106' date='Aug 8 2011, 02:11 PM']Why do you feel you should learn some scales before you have lessons? If you go to
a good teacher you will learn these early on anyway and will be more likely to
learn how they work and understand them rather than copying a finger pattern off the
Internet,which is what a lot of people do.[/quote]

I think that scales are fairly easy to comprehend at starter level. I can't help think that paying someone £25 + per hour to show you a C Major scale is a bit of a waste of money when it is something that can be acquired with a little effort.