Why become a member? ×

Wal -v- Alembic

TheGreek

I recently purchased a Wal Mk1 ([b]W2267[/b], also formerly owned by CD_David) from Simon (0353203) but I can't seem to get on with it. There's nothing wrong with the bass itself it's just that the neck is just that little bit on the too chunky side. I was prepared to give it a go but after getting my upgraded Jaydee back from John Diggins my worst fears have been confirmed - what I thought would be my dream bass just isn't..

I'm thinking of selling/trading the Wal - preference would be to trade for something like an Alembic SC but rumours abound regarding the weight.

Does/has anybody owned them both and, if so, how do they compare?? e.g. necks, weight, sounds/tones, etc.

As if by magic...

I currently have one Wal, sold another a few months ago, and have played loads over the years. I cuurrently have two SCDs and a small bodied short scale Alembic so have a bit of experience. Thegreek - send me your number by pm and I'll give you a call when convenient (if you wish). In short, massively different basses.

Edited by lozbass

I've owned two Wals, and although both necks were playable to me, over time the chunckiness became an issue, combined with the weight/balance (these were Pro '78 and Custom'84 versions).

My Alembic ownership is limited to Epics (4 and 5 string). Fantastic round neck profiles, actually quite big but don't feel it. The 5 string was too heavy for me, but the 4 string is a keeper. I like the simple treble/bass/pan electronics, but I would like to try one with filters one day...just so I feel grown up!

I'd imagine the weight has to be judged bass by bass - and same with the original short scale "Stanley" shape. It may balance better on a heavier bodied bass?

I've owned both as and as Loz says they're massively different basses. My Wal Custom had walnut facings and was a nice enough weight; not overly heavy. Probably about 9lbs; no more. The 2 Alembics I've had were a SC Deluxe (rosewood top and back) and my custom-built Triple Omega (effectively an MK Deluxe with various extras including superb walnut facings and a hollow body). The Wal was a nice bass but tonally didn't really work for me. I also found the ergonomics a bit strange. The neck was quite nice IMO but I've played necks that suit me better. I loved playing it at home but in a band setting it just never worked for me.

My SC D had a fabulous neck, great tones and sustain and a musicality that was out on its own. As you'd expect, for flash stuff it was amazing, but it was also incredible for dub; the best dub bass I've ever played. It wasn't really a big low-mids bass though. It was IMO much better made than the Wal too. I much preferred it except for one thing; it was incredibly neck heavy, and to make matters worse the body actually kind of fell away from you (it weighed about 10 or 11lbs). A non-issue if you sit down but for me a big issue; I found it extremely uncomfortable to play standing. The guy I sold it to loved everything about it except the ergonomics (which he hated for the same reasons) and sold it on immediately.

My Triple O was a masterpiece. The most stunning bass I've ever laid eyes on bar one (a buckeye burl Triple O in Ed Roman's, all of $20k or something similarly wallet-busting) incredibly made (beyond anything else I've ever played), with a wonderful neck and tremendously classy tones. Although I marginally prefer my old 72 Ric in terms of it being something I've bonded with and duplicating the tone I hear in my head, the Alembic was in most ways the bast bass I've ever played. It was also ergonomically great except for one thing; it weighed about 11lbs and eventually my prolapsed discs couldn't cope anymore and I had to sell it. If my back was ok it would have stayed forever. For me, there was no comparison between the Wal and the Alembics, weight and ergonomics aside; of course YMMV.

One thing though; I once played an Alembic SC Brown Bass (hollow body in those) and although it was also head heavy it weighed half of what my SC did and the neck was unbelievable. Worth consideration if you can find one and can live with the neck-heaviness.

Edited by 4000

+1 to above

I own a fretted (long scale) '76 Alembic series 1 (birdseye maple / ebony) and '85 fretless Wal Mk 1 Custom (american walnut / ebony with a non-typically slim neck profile).

To me they're by a mile the best fretted and fretless [b]active[/b] basses respectively that I've ever played and owned; but it wouldn't work at all (for me) the other way around - ie; fretted Wal and fretless Alembic.

Edit; NB: neither you could call light, but also not what I'd call unreasonably heavy (mind you, my main gigging bass used to be a Gibson RD Artist! )

Edited by Shaggy

Never owned a Wal but I've played plenty and had a couple of loan from friends. On the other hand, I had the pleasure of owning an Alembic Epic fretless and I've played plenty of Series basses and a Stanley Clarke over the years.

The Wals were probably the ones I preferred, based on sound alone. The Mk2 being my favourite of the Wal basses (though the Mk3 is great too and should have been more popular). As far as the filters go, I always found the Wal more tonally 'characteristic' than the Alembic. No matter how you twiddled it, it always sounded very much like a 'Wal'. I also loved the pick attack function.

The Alembics on the other hand were a different matter. The controls I initially found a bit confusing, much like with my ACG. The wood working was somewhat more ornate, though in terms of fit and finish there was never a great gulf between the basses and I found the Wals to be very well made indeed. The Alembics tended to have a slimmer neck profile (the SC had that very slim 'Banjo' feeling that Stanley apparently loves) and some of the Wals have a distinctive 'V' to the neck. My Epic in particular had a wide, flat beck on the back that was very comfortable. Weight wise, there wasn't much in it. I never had problems with Alembics neck diving but I tend to wear my basses quite high.

My Epic didn't come with any fancy filters but the woodworking was excellent, and it played beautifully. I don't think I've ever played another fretless bass with action so low that sounded so full and clean. It was a joy to own!

Owned both
had 2 Wal customs one fretted one fretless, nice basses but don't think they are as versatile as Alembics.
It is defined for me thus:
Me paying a Wal sounds like me playing a Wal. (and that goes for many basses tbh)
Me playing an Alembic sounds like me.
To very many peoples ears there is probably little to discern but to mine it is everything.

I still own the Alembic btw

Edited by jakesbass

Interesting day - had phone conversations with two BCers I've never spoken to before - Carl and Lawrence (Carlbass and Lozbass) - both proper gents - knowledgable and passionate - it was a joy speaking to you both. Many thanks for the information and opinions - I am richer because of this..

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1315567' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:34 AM']Owned both
had 2 Wal customs one fretted one fretless, nice basses but don't think they are as versatile as Alembics.
It is defined for me thus:
Me paying a Wal sounds like me playing a Wal. (and that goes for many basses tbh)
Me playing an Alembic sounds like me.
To very many peoples ears there is probably little to discern but to mine it is everything.

I still own the Alembic btw[/quote]
+1

I've owned a number of Wals over the years and played a few Alembics too, though never actually owned one. Also, I've more recently heard a couple of Alembics owned by Basschat members, including jakesbass's one - which is the most amazing bass I think i've ever seen!

Bottom line for me is that Alembics are more versatile and there is far more choice available in their product range; different models, pick up options, woods, electronics etc - it's quite an extensive array of choices (if you can afford it of course).

With Wal however, you get a choice of 4, 5 or 6 string model which can then have different tone-wood facings etc..but each of those still comes with the same Wal pick ups and Wal electronics, which do not vary and have been pretty much the same since 1981..

As it happens, i really like the Wal tone, but it is a very definite sound that was designed into the bass right from the start by Ian Waller 30 years ago and it has stayed that way ever since. And whilst it's certainly unique, i don't think it is meant to be that versatile..

In an ideal world, i'd love to have one of each bass but given the way they look and at the price they are, they can look/feel a bit out of place at the Dog 'n' Duck on a Friday night if you know what I mean :)

Do miss my very first Pro 2e though....

I've owned around 12 Wal-basses and 2 Alembics (a custom Spoiler with a point and a Mark King)
I just love those midtones of Wal basses.. nothing sounds like a Wal and that might be a turn-off for some of you
For me that's the sound I 'm looking for, I seemed to loose my "personality" when I played the Alembics.. they are more versatile but I missed the character of a Wal. I can cut through anything on stage with my Wal-basses and I didn't have that impression with an Alembic, they seemed to sound more smooth.. hard to describe.
It's true that a Wal bass isn't that versatile, you keep hearing those ingredients throughout everything you play...
For instance I took the Wal-bass along to a studio-session for some sort of Jesus Christ Superstar-soundtrack bass and the Wal bass just didn't cut it..I had to use a Fender or a Rickenbacker.
It's also true that you have to work a bit more on a Wal (the necks aren't that fast) but the sound just blows me away everytime...

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='1329048' date='Aug 5 2011, 06:14 PM']Wal or Alembic? ---------- JayDee :)

HTH

Brendan[/quote]

Got to agree - since I got my Roadie back from John following it's upgrade the Wal's been back in it's case - hence why I'm trying to see what to replace the Wal with..

Still looking at offers/trades (see the "For Sale" thread)