Why become a member? ×

Stingrays improve my playing...well they feel like they do.

Musicman20

Ive noticed as soon as I pickup any Stingray my hands just seem to relax, especially for finger style.

I feel like I dont have to dig in, despite the fact every bass has the ability to be powerful. Something about that massive forceful tone makes it so easy for to play.

I also feel the thumb position over the pickup makes me play exactly where I want.

I pickup a P bass, and no doubt I know what Im doing, but the Ray feels right instantly. Maybe its the pickup position/where I rest my hand. Both necks are great, but with a Ray its effortless.

Hmm!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Clarky' post='1313229' date='Jul 22 2011, 08:55 PM']Its all swings and roundabouts. A Stingray makes you play better, a Jazz improves your IQ and a Precision increasres penis length[/quote]

And a DB?

I know what you mean, on my Sandberg it's always felt most natural for my thumb to be right between the pickups which is frustrating. I also loathe fret buzz but it sounds right on my ray for some reason (once it's in the mix, it still bugs me when it's solo'd).

Great instrument, I'm loving mine. I still enjoy playing other basses though and for the first time, I have no bass gas.

I know what you mean. I've bought two SUBS here in the last couple of months and once I've sorted out my amplification situation there's a Stingray with my name on it!

Took me a long time to figure out that Stingrays are where it's at.

Edited by gjones

I am so struggling with my Stingray at the moment. Its a 2EQ and its either too bassy and boomy or too clanky. I just can't find a happy medium. I would really like to as I would like to use it in my band as something with a good voice and articulate like a Stingray can be would be perfect but I just can't get it right. Its like a Jazz and Precision on steroids, just too damn powerful.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1313201' date='Jul 22 2011, 08:33 PM']Is it the neck, the pre-amp, the pickup position?[/quote]

Familiarity, pure and simple.

I get the same feeling from my Status because I've played them for 18 years.... but not from my 'Ray despite it being a great bass. :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1313386' date='Jul 22 2011, 11:17 PM']Familiarity, pure and simple.

I get the same feeling from my Status because I've played them for 18 years.... but not from my 'Ray despite it being a great bass. :)[/quote]
I have played Jazz necks a lot longer than Rays and still feel more at home on a Ray, Even the Ray 5 feels 'right' which is largely different to the 4's. I guess some things just work well for some people.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1313201' date='Jul 22 2011, 08:33 PM']Ive noticed as soon as I pickup any Stingray my hands just seem to relax, especially for finger style.

I feel like I dont have to dig in, despite the fact every bass has the ability to be powerful. Something about that massive forceful tone makes it so easy for to play.

I also feel the thumb position over the pickup makes me play exactly where I want.

I pickup a P bass, and no doubt I know what Im doing, but the Ray feels right instantly. Maybe its the pickup position/where I rest my hand. Both necks are great, but with a Ray its effortless.

Hmm![/quote]

The thumb-over-pickup position is a big factor for me.

What I don't know is which came first!

I mean, did I always find it more comfortable to place my hand where a SR pickup is, and that made me find Stingrays nicer... or did I find Stingrays nicer, and because I played them more tahn anything else, I am just used to their shape etc?

I have a small thumbrest shaped a bit like the edge of a MM pickup on my Squier CV Precision, at the MM pickup position... it's the place that feels more natural to me, and I just find the tension of the strings at that spot the way I like them. If I play over the P pickup, I feel the strings just have too much give.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1313363' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:37 PM']I am so struggling with my Stingray at the moment. Its a 2EQ and its either too bassy and boomy or too clanky. I just can't find a happy medium. I would really like to as I would like to use it in my band as something with a good voice and articulate like a Stingray can be would be perfect but I just can't get it right. Its like a Jazz and Precision on steroids, just too damn powerful.[/quote]

I like the 2EQ, but I felt it needs something extra. The 3EQ is a different animal, so it's not exactly that. What made a big difference for me was the John East preamp. The bass/treble module is modelled on the 2EQ, although I feel it sounded a bit better than my 2EQ. Then the mids module just allows me to easily adjust the tone to fit the band.

I can't recommend the MMSR preamp enough. It's a bit pricy, but it really is worth it, very good. It transformed my Stingray from a very nice bass into the only bass I am sure I don't want to ever let go.

I think it's to do with string tension/thumb position. It's what makes me always wonder when I see playing in the p pickup position. The string is floppier there so moves more which I find makes it harder to play accurately with a nice tight, focused, controlled tone. Playing back by the bridge on any bass results in less string movement so less controlling the string and a quicker more precise, under control sound and playing experience.
Ime imv IMHO ymmv etc

For me, EBMM's have an unmistakable feel and sound (to me and the drummer at least, never mind the audience) that simply makes the rythm section work really well. Also, the way a Stingray responds to right hand position and technique to me is just miles ahead of the pack, from focused punchy bridge sounds to warm and mellow plucked higher to muted to awesome slap sounds. At least I'm not finding any other of my basses to work as well in this respect even though they have their own vibes which I love as well. Add in a Stingray with flats to the equation, and the range of vibes is just awesome. I do use almost all my basses in band settings, but whenever I bring a Stingray, many times that's the one that takes the prize. Granted they are great builds and so on, but they're not alone in that.

It's not simply a question of habit for me, I only played Stingrays the last couple of years and have loads more accumulated playing time on Jazz basses and my Yamaha BB. Variation is great fun and good for inspiration, and I would never go pure Stingray - but Stingrays are in many ways where it's at IMO. :)

Yes! I felt exactly the same when I got my Ray!

A 78, pre ernie.

Everything just seemed to 'fall into place'.

I think it improved my playing...

I had to sell it a couple of years ago to release some funds. Just thinking about it brings tears to my ears.

This one...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57254&hl=guitar+gallery+oxford"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...+gallery+oxford[/url]

Don't make me post a pic...

Edited by bh2

[quote name='mcnach' post='1313466' date='Jul 23 2011, 01:57 AM']What made a big difference for me was the John East preamp. The bass/treble module is modelled on the 2EQ, although I feel it sounded a bit better than my 2EQ. Then the mids module just allows me to easily adjust the tone to fit the band.[/quote]

+ lots. The John East MM preamp is an outstanding bit of kit.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1313587' date='Jul 23 2011, 10:10 AM']+ lots. The John East MM preamp is an outstanding bit of kit.[/quote]

I'd never, ever dream of putting an aftermarket preamp in a Stingray...

Don't get me wrong here, I've a J-Retro in my Jazz and I'd never swap it out, but in a Ray? sacrilege.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1313229' date='Jul 22 2011, 08:55 PM']Its all swings and roundabouts. A Stingray makes you play better, a Jazz improves your IQ and a Precision increasres penis length[/quote]

:)

I played a guest slot at a gig last night on a Ric, that's one bass that certainly doesn't make me play better.
I had to dumb down with my playing and keep it very simple.

Love the look but just find them so uncomfortable and awkward.

So yes: I feel that some basses certainly make me play better and some, not.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1313474' date='Jul 23 2011, 02:57 AM']I think it's to do with string tension/thumb position. It's what makes me always wonder when I see playing in the p pickup position. The string is floppier there so moves more which I find makes it harder to play accurately with a nice tight, focused, controlled tone. Playing back by the bridge on any bass results in less string movement so less controlling the string and a quicker more precise, under control sound and playing experience.
Ime imv IMHO ymmv etc[/quote]

+1

I gravitate towards playing over the MM pickup position on any bass now, which is sometimes awkward (try a CV51 P-bass)... The strings just feel right for me there. I don't like to play over a P pickup because the strings just seem too soft.

[quote name='bh2' post='1313594' date='Jul 23 2011, 10:16 AM']I'd never, ever dream of putting an aftermarket preamp in a Stingray...

Don't get me wrong here, I've a J-Retro in my Jazz and I'd never swap it out, but in a Ray? sacrilege.[/quote]

well, call me blasphemous and all that (I may enjoy it :)) but if you can do a simple change that results in an improved (to some "vastly improved") experience, why not? What's so precious about the original preamp? :lol:
The MMSR doesn't take away from the Stingrayness, believe me. It sits between the 2EQ and the 3EQ versions: it is a three band, but not like the MM 3-band. It is like the 2-band plus a module that adds a lot of controls over the mids: boost/cut plus centre frequency sweep control. Make it sound always tight, focussed, big but not boomy, sitting perfectly in the mix in any situation.
Yeah, you can light the fire to burn me in it, I don't regret trying the MMSR one bit! :)

I would concur, kinda odd since I learnt on a Westone 25 years ago which was a P pickup, and have had a P Bass in my time, but the position of the pickup and the sound on a 'Ray just kinda works, particularly for fingerstyle. If you played in the same hand position on a P say, (ignoring the fact there's nowhere to rest your thumb) the sound wouldnt be half as good. I also find that the 'Ray (as others have said) is probably the most versatile bass in terms of sound/hand position if required. I can easily get a double bass kinda thing happening playing at the end of the neck, its also awesome for slapping, not that I am a slapper in any sense of the word... :)

Y'know we should really formalise the Stingray Talliban thing, me, McNach and Gareth can do the Central Scotland branch for starters... :)

Finger position is a big factor in comfort/playability - but IMO learning to change finger position and alter playing action to suit is making me a better player. Any bass of any make that'll set up well and balance nicely can give that feeling of 'rightness' IF the tone is something you don't have to work at. But if you're looking for something like the 'ray's growl from a P then you'll always have to work your fingers harder.