Why become a member? ×

Replacement for SM58?

Oggy

Hi Basschatters

I’m not sure if this is the right forum thread but I’m hoping that a few of you will have some advice on this.

I’ve had the SM58 for the past 11 years, used it regularly for both live gigs and rehearsal sessions, it’s robust and still sounds (to my ears anyway) as good as it did when I first got it. After 11 years use I’m thinking about getting a replacement, I’m pretty sure that mic technology has moved on - what mic would you guys recommend for live use and why?

Oggy :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='1311293' date='Jul 21 2011, 10:53 AM']Hi Basschatters

I’m not sure if this is the right forum thread but I’m hoping that a few of you will have some advice on this.

I’ve had the SM58 for the past 11 years, used it regularly for both live gigs and rehearsal sessions, it’s robust and still sounds (to my ears anyway) as good as it did when I first got it. After 11 years use I’m thinking about getting a replacement, I’m pretty sure that mic technology has moved on - what mic would you guys recommend for live use and why?

Oggy :)[/quote]

As far as I've read, the SM58 is pretty much still the standard goto mic. If it's still working, there's no need to replace it.

(although if you want to get rid of it, I might be interested :) )

[quote name='lanark' post='1311335' date='Jul 21 2011, 11:27 AM']As far as I've read, the SM58 is pretty much still the standard goto mic. If it's still working, there's no need to replace it.

(although if you want to get rid of it, I might be interested :lol: )[/quote]

:D

"(although if you want to get rid of it, I might be interested :) )"

God loves a trier - nice one.

You're probably right though when you say "If it's still working, there's no need to replace it."

From what I've been told and seen the SM58 is still the preferred live performance mic. A service / clean might be in order, I'll ask our lead player - he's a bit techie, if he knows anywhere I can get it done.

Stick with the 58 mate. Still the industry standard for a reason.
Not sure about the Samson in terms of feedback suppression/handling noise.
If you want to improve on a 58 you could try a Beta 58, or some of the EV mics are pretty bulletproof but honestly I wouldn't bother if your regular 58 is doing the job!
I've been a live sound engineer for over 15 years, I still spec regular 58s everywhere I go. They just work.

In a way, this is almost like asking for a replacement for a Fender Bass - there are lots of options out there but many people will happily choose the "industry standard".

The SM58 is a great live vocal mic. It performs well, is robust and not too expensive if it gets lost or damaged. It does have a "sound", though, and that doesn't suit every voice. Unfortunately the only way to find if an alternative mic is better [u][i]for your needs[/i][/u] is to try that mic out.

Some popular alternatives are -

Dynamic mics

Shure SM57, Beta 57A, Beta 57B
Electro Voice N/D767a
Sennheiser E845S, 935
Beyer Dynamic TG-X60, M69
Audio-Technica AE6100
AKG D870

Condenser mics (will require phantom power)

Shure Beta 87, SM86, KSM9
Neumann KMS 104, 105
Electro-Voice RE510
Audio-Technica AE3300, AE5400

None of which probably helps at all.....

Good evening, Oggy...
Nothing wrong with a good SM58, but as an alternative I would suggest AKG D5 (we use only these now, the Shures have been relegated to spare/backup...). Even better, if your singer is worth the difference... AKG C5. Very nice live, brings out the best in a good voice. It won't help a 'crow' much, though, and shouldn't be 'Daltreyed' (whirled around the stage by its lead, for the youngsters...).
Just my tuppence worth, ymmv.
Hope this helps.

Sennheiser mikes are good, we used them in my last band.

And, strangely enough, the cheapo Behringer mikes also have a very nice sound to them. My voice is quite deep and nasally, so Shure SM58 has never been any good for me, but the Behringers clean up my voice quite nicely. So I suppose, if you have a very clear voice, they will probably not suit.

I use the AKG D5 and it's really good. Alternatively look at the Thomann copy of a Beta 58-the T Bone MB85.I
know a few top sound guys who use them as their main vocal mic-one guy in particular recently used one
for Beverly Knight.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1311901' date='Jul 21 2011, 07:07 PM']I use the AKG D5 and it's really good. Alternatively look at the Thomann copy of a Beta 58-the T Bone MB85.I
know a few top sound guys who use them as their main vocal mic-one guy in particular recently used one
for Beverly Knight.[/quote]

I've got a D5 too, decent mikes and reasonably priced enough to give one a try for the sake of it. I think I paid £50 for mine.

My good lady is a singer, she uses a SM58, and wouldn't use anything else.
She tried loads of different mic's when she did a sound techie thing at uni, (a few years ago now)
and the SM58 was her fave.
If you do decide to get another beware of the Chinese copies on ebay ect.

[size=4][b]Choices - Choices - Choices - Agghhh
[/b][/size]
Thank you all very much for your comments and advice.

If I was buying another Bass I'd be quite happy to go into a shop and give it a try - trying out a microphone is a different kettle of fish though :) .

[quote name='Doddy' post='1311901' date='Jul 21 2011, 07:07 PM']I use the AKG D5 and it's really good. Alternatively look at the Thomann copy of a Beta 58-the T Bone MB85.I
for Beverly Knight.[/quote]

That's very interesting about the Tbone MB85. Maybe shure have been sitting on their laurels too long and the copyists are over-taking.

The 58s are about the most consistently feedback-resistant mics I've used as a sound guy and have a very predictable sound from one application to the next. They are loved by sound engineers and became a standard for their consistency as much as anything else. A lot of the other mics on the market are hypercardioids (EDIT: and supers but they're pretty similar) which is nice in some applications but just not as intuitive as a cardioid and they cause no end of problems when people don't understand the rear lobing characteristic.

58s sound good or at least acceptable for male rock vocals or spoken word in almost any situation. The situation where they often fail is female vocals through an average-to crap PA, or softer male voices. But this is true of a lot of dynamic vocal mics to an extent.

I'd say if you're male and your voice suits a 58 then it's only really worth upgrading to a condenser/electret or something more exotic like a ribbon. The variants on the Shure Beta 87 are really excellent live mics. Just be prepared for a different set of problem feedback frequencies (not a significant issue when you understand how differently a condenser mic can be EQ'ed in a live context and still sound clear and natural). If your voice doesn't suit a 58 though then the world is your confusing oyster...Beyerdynamic TGX60 was always a favourite of mine, I don't know how to describe what it did to a voice other than saying it was like a sort of technicolor version with added glitter. They'd be almost as famous as the SM58 if they weren't fifty-odd quid more expensive.

Edited by LawrenceH

I'm using a Sennheiser E something or other at the moment in my band, but we recently played using another band's gear and I sang through an SM58 - BIG improvement, it didn't pick up any bleed from the drums and I could hear my vocals clean as a whistle! I'd say this is the reason why it's the ultimate 'go to' microphone.

If you need to change, however, a good mic that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Audix OM5/OM6. Great sounding and very reasonable price-wise.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1313743' date='Jul 23 2011, 12:57 PM']I'm a big fan of the Behringer XM8500 -similar to an SM58, but under £20. we use them for backing vocals. Cheap doesn't mean shoddy with these - they seem to have a higher output than SM58s and a bit more clarity.[/quote]

+1 to that. I bought one for a party where we were likely to have "extra" vocalists and it turned out better than my SM58. I think, though, that my SM58 isn't as good as the one our singer uses. No idea why that would be.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1314059' date='Jul 23 2011, 06:31 PM']+1 to that. I bought one for a party where we were likely to have "extra" vocalists and it turned out better than my SM58. I think, though, that my SM58 isn't as good as the one our singer uses. No idea why that would be.[/quote]

It's probably because your singer's voice suits the mic better.

I've been working with touring bands for a while so have got an idea of what works, and what doesn't.

If you're looking at a microphone without a budget, then a Shure KSM9 is very good.
If you're looking for a microphone around the same price as an SM58, then I'd instead suggest a Sennheiser e840 or alternatively a Shure Beta 58.

Edited by Bankai

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1311422248' post='1313743']
I'm a big fan of the Behringer XM8500 -similar to an SM58, but under £20. we use them for backing vocals. Cheap doesn't mean shoddy with these - they seem to have a higher output than SM58s and a bit more clarity.
[/quote]

Does anyone know why the Behringer XM8500 are not sold in the 3-pack as they are in Europe and the USA?

Still have the SM58 i bought the wife in 1979 our guitarist still uses it every gig, the Drummer also has his own for voacals, the wife has moved on the the Beta 58 which she loves with even better proximity effect and warmth, also have a Radio Beta 58 which are great but only as good as the cabled one when the battery is new.