Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings

nottswarwick

Just swopped the flats out on my MIM P as I was not getting on with them - and replaced with Elixir Rounds.

I use ELixir's on my Acoustic Guitar, and they are great, lasting well and feeling smooth. These bass versions, whilst dear at £28, seem to be as good so far.

Just thought I would share - the bass sounds very much like a Precision should.

C

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1309346' date='Jul 19 2011, 04:47 PM']Just swopped the flats out on my MIM P as I was not getting on with them - and replaced with Elixir Rounds.

I use ELixir's on my Acoustic Guitar, and they are great, lasting well and feeling smooth. These bass versions, whilst dear at £28, seem to be as good so far.

Just thought I would share - the bass sounds very much like a Precision should.

C[/quote]

They seem to last for ever (almost) so they work out good value for money although they sound a little characterless in my opinion.

I also had some earthing issues so I went back to uncoated strings in the end, no one else seems to have this problem though, maybe it was the static from my nylon underpants. :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1310471' date='Jul 20 2011, 03:54 PM']They seem to last for ever (almost) so they work out good value for money although they sound a little characterless in my opinion.

I also had some earthing issues so I went back to uncoated strings in the end, no one else seems to have this problem though, maybe it was the static from my nylon underpants. :)[/quote]

Characterless is probably what I'm experiencing from my Elixirs.
I also had trouble with earthing on my jazz which had nothing to do with the strings and fixed by placing a layer of tinfoil under the scrathplate and tucked up under the metal control plate. Cut neat enough that no-one knows its there.
I tried all sorts of tests before this and originally gave it a try to see if it would actually work.
It did and its still there. A very cheap remedy for anyone else experiencing similar probs.

PS I'm an Instrument Engineer (Electronics) and had suitable test meters to check earthing on the bass which seemed fine before putting the tinfoil on.

Cheers
Dave

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elixir-Bass-Strings-Medium-Set-45-65-85-105-/320455441461?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4a9ca1fc35"]These[/url] are the cheapest I have seen them so far, not much cheaper than you paid for them, but this guy offers free p&p.

I've found guitars with large scratchplates (i.e. Fenders and clones) will often suffer crackles if the scratchplate is rubbed. Usually it can be fixed by removing the S-P and all the pots etc, spraying contact adhesive onto cooking foil and sticking this to the back of the plate. The foil is easily trimmed, and contact with the pots after they're replaced provides sufficient earthing for a 'silent' instrument.

I use Elixirs on my MIJ Precision.

They sound like not-quite-new conventional strings, which I prefer to the zingy brand-new sound, but keep that quality for ages ( I replace them once a year rather than once every 3 months for Fender nickels that I used to use )

I bought elixir nanoweb strings and my bass came to life. It sounds better than ever- i can say im in love with these strings. However, due to unknown reason B string, which i use rather rarely compared to rest, died really really fast...

I've been using them for about 3 years now, well worth the money they last ages.
One thing, the last set I used were on for about 5 months and never shed their 'skin' unlike the others that I'd used, now the new set have started flaking anybody else had this? some sets flake and some don't? very strange

The brand new D'Addarios (feel like EXLs) I got on my G&L when I bought it went really dull after just one practice session which was disappointing. Usually they're my preferred brand but I might give these Elixirs a chance if they'll maintain their tone more consistantly.

I had a bad experience with Elixir strings. I put a set on my 5 string Jazz when I was doing panto in
December,and the coating started to peel over the back pickup and around the 5th-7th frets in
under a week.To make matters worse,some of it got under my nail causing my finger to get infected
and i had to use a pick for the next week or so.
I won't be using them again.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1311529' date='Jul 21 2011, 01:53 PM']I had a bad experience with Elixir strings. I put a set on my 5 string Jazz when I was doing panto in
December,and the coating started to peel over the back pickup and around the 5th-7th frets in
under a week.[/quote]

Cue "Oh no they didn`t"

Sorry Doddy, couldn`t resist :)

I use Elixirs on all my basses. Wal fretless, Fender, Laklands, and spectors. I wouldn't use anything else. I don't agree with the lack of character comments!

Don't use a pick, be extra careful threading them through the bridge/body so as not to damage the coatings and they will last for ages, well worth the extra investment and so much smoother/easier to play than uncoated strings. The only challenge I have had is getting the extra long scale ones at a good price as these are needed for the laklands. I now buy all my strings from Bass Merchant, as definitely the cheapest and best service...

I'm happy to be an endorsee if you're reading this Elixir!!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1311529' date='Jul 21 2011, 01:53 PM']I had a bad experience with Elixir strings. I put a set on my 5 string Jazz when I was doing panto in
under a week.To make matters worse,some of it got under my nail causing my finger to get infected
and i had to use a pick for the next week or so.[/quote]

I certainly had problems in the early days of using them where pulling them roughly through the bridge damaged the coatings, and caused them to peel, so you really do have to be VERY careful when re-stringing, but now my strings last 6-12 months. My Wal has had the same set on for about two and a half years, I gigged it again at the weekend and they were still nice and slippery and bright sounding...

Regarding finger infections, its a polymer coating which is impervious, so don't see how this could have been a cause?

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='1311987' date='Jul 21 2011, 08:01 PM']I certainly had problems in the early days of using them where pulling them roughly through the bridge damaged the coatings, and caused them to peel, so you really do have to be VERY careful when re-stringing, but now my strings last 6-12 months. My Wal has had the same set on for about two and a half years, I gigged it again at the weekend and they were still nice and slippery and bright sounding...

Regarding finger infections, its a polymer coating which is impervious, so don't see how this could have been a cause?[/quote]

I know how to string up an instrument,and I don't expect coated strings to peel after a few days-my D'addario EXP's on my
fretless have never lost any of their coating so obviously.
As regards my finger infection,if a small sliver goes under your nail,as it did,then yes it can be the cause.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1312001' date='Jul 21 2011, 08:10 PM']I know how to string up an instrument...[/quote]

I'm sure [i]you [/i]do, but my comment wasn't made or meant as a personal insult! Like me you may have been playing for many years, but there are many people here, and I know a few of them, who haven't, and we are [i][b]all [/b][/i]still learning. I'm sure you have also seen pics of peoples prized basses of all ages, values and makes, some of which are for sale, which looked like they were strung by a three year old! We're none of us too old for good advice, from young and old, so please take my comments as meant, and not personally please! :)

I like and get on with elixirs. Others don't, thats fine, but like you I am simply sharing my personal experience....

Never got on with Elixirs really. They're ok but if you play with a pick, once the wrap starts going I found them really annoying! I preferred the D'addario EXP, but have since gone back to prosteels 'cause I prefer them.

What's the difference between Elixirs and EXP's? Apparently Elixirs are coated after the string is wound, covering the whole lot. With EXP's, the wrap is coated before the string is wound. This means that the string can effectively move more freely and without disturbing the coating as much (they also sound a bit brighter). It also means that any damage to the coating is localised and does not usually cause as much of a knock-on effect to the rest of the coating.

I tried the D'Addario EXP and thought they were awful, nowhere near as bright or long lasting as the Elixirs. The coating of the Elixirs stops grease and crap from your fingers getting into the winds of the string, which is why they stay bright. The design of the EXP doesn't do this and strikes me as pointless. I tried them on two different basses and they both went incredibly dull after a short enough time. I replaced them with Elixirs which I now have on all my basses. I still have the original set which came stock on my Bacchus P almost three years later. The coating is starting to come undone now but I think I've got a good run out of them.

[quote name='max363' post='1311495' date='Jul 21 2011, 01:22 PM']I bought elixir nanoweb strings and my bass came to life. It sounds better than ever- i can say im in love with these strings. However, due to unknown reason B string, which i use rather rarely compared to rest, died really really fast...[/quote]

Did you try the taperwound B string. Worked better for me. The other strings were standard wound.
I had some "furring" on the strings which to be fair didn't get any worse over past 4 mths. Perhaps it was the stringing and not being careful enough when pulling through the bridge.
Elixir maintain that some furring can occur and is nothing to worry about. That is not the same as what Doddy was describing whereby they were "shedding". The coating hasn't actually came off my strings.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='1311505' date='Jul 21 2011, 01:29 PM']I've been using them for about 3 years now, well worth the money they last ages.
One thing, the last set I used were on for about 5 months and never shed their 'skin' unlike the others that I'd used, now the new set have started flaking anybody else had this? some sets flake and some don't? very strange[/quote]

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='1311965' date='Jul 21 2011, 07:46 PM']I use Elixirs on all my basses. Wal fretless, Fender, Laklands, and spectors. I wouldn't use anything else. I don't agree with the lack of character comments!

Don't use a pick, be extra careful threading them through the bridge/body so as not to damage the coatings and they will last for ages, well worth the extra investment and so much smoother/easier to play than uncoated strings. The only challenge I have had is getting the extra long scale ones at a good price as these are needed for the laklands. I now buy all my strings from Bass Merchant, as definitely the cheapest and best service...

I'm happy to be an endorsee if you're reading this Elixir!![/quote]

Never thought of that, perhaps on the set that didn't shed it's coating I didn't damage the coating when fitting them, I'll be extra careful next time.
Incidental I do use a pick all the time, so I don't think it's that that causes the coating to shed.