Why become a member? ×

Seeing Iron Maiden TONIGHT!

AttitudeCastle

Just saw Maiden at the Ice Arena in Nottingham. Great gig. I'd like to be positive about Airbourne but I can't. Frankly, Airbourne were *shocking*... though it's hard to tell how much of that was the fault of the FOH mixing. I genuinely lack the words to adequately describe that support slot - basically the drummer did four to the floor kick drum in EVERY section of EVERY song, except for the intro to one song. Unfortunately, coupled with - dare I say it - the ludicrously excessive amounts of bass they were pumping out front I literally just heard

thump thump thump thump thump thump *woooAAAAARRGGGhoooo* {from the singer} thump thump thump thump... ad infinitum

Maiden on the other hand were fantastic. Phenomenal stage presence by Bruce. I started about 20 metres from the front, but by the 6th song decided to move forward. I managed to get about 3 people from the front where I experienced a palatable level of moshing... though conditions were somewhat cramped. The highlight for me was the great close-up of Harris and the guitarists lined up in a bank of 4 less than 2 metres in front me during the encore as I was dead centre at the front by that time.

Was anyone else there?

Didn't go (not a massive fan, saw them at Donington on 7th Son era though) but thought I'd chip in re Airbourne. Saw them doing a gig at Rock City a year or two back and they were excellent in that environment, they are all about close interaction with the audience and work well in small venues, they'd be fish out of water in arenas. The ACDC wannabe music isn't really my thing but as entertainment value they were great.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1319007' date='Jul 28 2011, 09:12 AM']<snip>
I'd like to be positive about Airbourne but I can't. Frankly, Airbourne were *shocking*... though it's hard to tell how much of that was the fault of the FOH mixing. I genuinely lack the words to adequately describe that support slot - basically the drummer did four to the floor kick drum in EVERY section of EVERY song, except for the intro to one song. Unfortunately, coupled with - dare I say it - the ludicrously excessive amounts of bass they were pumping out front I literally just heard

thump thump thump thump thump thump *woooAAAAARRGGGhoooo* {from the singer} thump thump thump thump... ad infinitum
<snip>[/quote]
Exactly my experience of Airbourne at Manchester Academy in 2008, very disappointing. Mate of mine still raves about 'em though, so it's probably just me being a Grumpy Old Git... :)

Oh, and just to keep on topic, I saw Maiden (for the one and only time) at Blackpool Norbreck Castle, 2nd November 1979. :)

Very much enjoyed the Manchester gig last night. Maiden on form and good energy. Isn't there some law somewhere that says the must play Run To The Hills and the Ancient Mariner at gigs?

Sadly Airbourne were really not for me although I enjoyed some of their songs froma couple of years ago, it didn't really seem to spark last night. The sound balance was also out (same problems as noted above).

I was at the Manchester gig also - a great show from the fellas, as always. I don't think I've ever left a Maiden gig feeling short-changed.

Sadly, I also couldn't make Airbourne out for the most part as the sound was terrible. All I could hear was the bass drum, a guitarry mush and screaming from the singer. A pity, as some of it reminded me of AC/DC.

I thought they were dire. I obviously didn't know as many Maiden songs as i thought I did and after a while they all ended up sounding the same.

We would've left after they played The Trooper if there hadn't been another guy with us who was really into them.

Spoke to a guitarist I'm doing a gig with shortly last week and he agreed that they weren't very good

I heard that Bruce can't get the high notes in Run to The Hills anymore and I was disappointed that they didn't do Phantom of the Opera. I know that it was D'ianno but its still a popular Maiden song

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1319007' date='Jul 28 2011, 09:12 AM']basically the drummer did four to the floor kick drum in EVERY section of EVERY song, except for the intro to one song.[/quote]

Just like to point out that you ruined their set for me after posting that :) I hadn't noticed that before and it really started to get on my tits last night :)

I loved the show, plenty of energy, setlist wasn't too bad either IMO - I'd have preferred more classic songs, but then I'm sure many fans (and as has been made obvious, the band) want to give the more recent material a listen, so it wasn't a bad compromise. Caught one of Adrian's picks (it smacked me in the mouth when he threw it, that is - upon bending down to pick it up I found another one, which I gave to the bloke standing next to me). One of the best gigs I've been to this year (even if it was quite a crush up front).

Saw them in Cardiff last night & they were superb. Completely sold out - never seen the CIA so packed.
Seriously sweaty gig!
The sound was fantastic - clear as a bell & perfectly mixed, if a little too polite volume-wise.

Enjoyed what I saw of Airbourne as well, only caught about the last 20 minutes of their set.
They had a bloody good sound too.

A very enjoyable evening. :)

They were great in Brum on Sunday.

Janick's dancing annoys me - I can imagine Steve Harris wanting to smack him one LOL

Then - the backline went down during the end of Number Of The Beast!! Bruce and Nicko leading the crowd to it's conclusion!!

Maiden are class and not many bands can still get away with their level of stageshow IMHO.

Up The Irons!

[quote name='grunge666' post='1324234' date='Aug 2 2011, 12:43 PM']They were great in Brum on Sunday.

Janick's dancing annoys me - I can imagine Steve Harris wanting to smack him one LOL

Up The Irons![/quote]

Janick seems to annoy alot of people... i don't think I know any Maiden fans who like him... and is there really any need for him to be in the band anyway?!

The one in the picture is his no1 with the worn of headstock decal as seen here
[attachment=86213:105_artist.jpg]
The one in the rack is another west ham bass which appeared to have a late 70's headstock decal. He had about 4 basses out with him, the two west hams, one early 70's and another mid 70's. Memory is a bit fuzzy as what the other two were. As far as his rig, he had four 4x10 marshall straight bass cabs, two on each side. Amp wise, his set up was surprisingly not really straight forward. Again memory is a bit fuzzy but I saw a pete cornish made splitter type box, some power amps and what I got told but his bass tech was a pre amp made pretty much exactly the same as the front end of a hiwatt solid state bass head. Though I have to say, his tone wasn't anything out of the blue. It was very very clean and clanky. Also, his bass tech is maiden's keyboard player too!!

Dan, you lucky SOB!

I was under the impression that ALL of maiden went through one monster of a 33kW PA, bass included?

Also, is the tech using some crappy handheld tuner for it?

I'm seeing them for the fourth time on saturday night at the o2, and I gave way to temptation and looked at a set list yesterday, and have to say it's average at best, not a fan of some of the songs either, I'm sure it'll be as amazing as ever though. Also, it wasn't announced until after the previous night's tickets had been sold out, and it was announced as an extra surprise - also, trivium will be supporting rather than dragonforce who will have been supporting on the previous night's london show and the show before that (in ireland IIRC). Having seen both of those bands about 5 times each including both on their debut album UK tours, I am glad I get trivium as the lesser of two evils, though i've seen them both far too many times for my liking!

Getting really, really excited now, :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1325770' date='Aug 3 2011, 03:37 PM']Dan, you lucky SOB!

I was under the impression that ALL of maiden went through one monster of a 33kW PA, bass included?

Also, is the tech using some crappy handheld tuner for it?

I'm seeing them for the fourth time on saturday night at the o2, and I gave way to temptation and looked at a set list yesterday, and have to say it's average at best, not a fan of some of the songs either, I'm sure it'll be as amazing as ever though. Also, it wasn't announced until after the previous night's tickets had been sold out, and it was announced as an extra surprise - also, trivium will be supporting rather than dragonforce who will have been supporting on the previous night's london show and the show before that (in ireland IIRC). Having seen both of those bands about 5 times each including both on their debut album UK tours, I am glad I get trivium as the lesser of two evils, though i've seen them both far too many times for my liking!

Getting really, really excited now, :)[/quote]

All of their cabs are behind the riser (in between the drums). None of the guitarists (or Steve harris) use conventional heads....all rack mount gear! Janick's tech is using one of those really old hand held boss tuner's which is mounted onto the riser! His tech's a really young guy too...couldn't have been more than 25!!! He used to tech for Dragonforce too....must have a dad who is high up in the buisiness ey? :) Unlucky with the support...Airbourne were supporting in Cardiff who are a FANTASTIC band and completely mental live!!

I saw them at the NIA in Birmingham on Sunday and thought they were brilliant. Seen them about 15 times now over the last 21 years and this gig was in the top 5. Thought the sound was better than at the NEC and bigger standing area. Very funny when the bass and guitars cut out in Beast, Harry looked properly peed off. I managed to piss everyone behind me off by being 6'6" and generally spoiling everyone's view! The lights kept bouncing off Harry's mirrored pickguard and looked very cool indeed.

I think the reason they didn't play that many older tracks and dropped Run To The Hills is because the last tour was the Somewhere Back in Time one with loads of classics. I'd much rather see them playing Phantom etc but they played it at the Clive Burr gig in Hammersmith in 2005 and I got to hear Ancient Mariner at Twickenham last time. If they play Alexander The Great live before they hang up their sweatbands I can die a happy man! Agree the setlist on this tour includes a couple of dodgier tracks but it really didn't matter, just gave me a bit of a breather.

I actually liked Airbourne. Too ACDC for me to get into them, but the lead guy was getting everyone going by mentioning Maiden between every track. I haven't really enjoyed a Maiden support since the first gig I saw with Wolfsbane supporting them. I normally stay in the bar!

[quote name='dan2112' post='1325911' date='Aug 3 2011, 05:25 PM']All of their cabs are behind the riser (in between the drums). None of the guitarists (or Steve harris) use conventional heads....all rack mount gear! Janick's tech is using one of those really old hand held boss tuner's which is mounted onto the riser! His tech's a really young guy too...couldn't have been more than 25!!! He used to tech for Dragonforce too....must have a dad who is high up in the buisiness ey? :) Unlucky with the support...Airbourne were supporting in Cardiff who are a FANTASTIC band and completely mental live!![/quote]

Airbourne are terrible, I've had the misfortune of seeing them before....

[quote name='dan2112' post='1325155' date='Aug 3 2011, 03:32 AM']This may interest a few guys on here :)

Was working at the gig in Cardiff, got the grand tour of 'arry's rig :lol: And yes that's his no 1 bass.

Dan[/quote]

How, how, how, how, how?

I've always wanted to work at gigs and roadie but i've never been able too! I don't even know who to ask :)

Very lucky man indeed!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1330446' date='Aug 6 2011, 11:13 PM']How, how, how, how, how?

I've always wanted to work at gigs and roadie but i've never been able too! I don't even know who to ask :)

Very lucky man indeed![/quote]
It's through a company called Rock City....It's just local crew....mainly full of monkeys. I normally work with the PA guys and I usually show alot of interest and they're normally really keen to help me out and teach me about what they do! Managed to get some good contacts through it though :lol: Managed to get some work with The Joy Formidable's sound engineer which will be amazing and look great on my CV when I finish uni :) Still haven't worked a gig with a band I really like....though seeing Katy Perry up close was a highlight :D

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1330446' date='Aug 6 2011, 11:13 PM']How, how, how, how, how?

Very lucky man indeed![/quote]
Its not as fun as it seems. I did the local crew for pink.

Think it was Aberdeen Stage Crew - guy named chris. Nice money though.