Why become a member? ×

Vox 2x15

bigjohn

It's not mine, it's a mate of mine's...

I think it's easy to tell it's a 100W (2x50W) 2x10. But what else is a bit difficult as it has no serials, model numbers, it doesn't even have the impedance on it.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm quite keen on it, but he's got no idea how much he wants for it.

Wasn't that the T100? I wanted one back then but I wouldn't think it had enough oomph to keep up with drummers these days.

PS It's a 2x15 cab.
The only time I'd think of using one of these would be if I was in a Beatles tribute band.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1308021' date='Jul 18 2011, 04:10 PM']I think it's easy to tell it's a 100W (2x50W) 2x10. But what else is a bit difficult as it has no serials, model numbers, it doesn't even have the impedance on it.[/quote]

Check those labels again :lol: 2x15" I reckon :)
Ah! chris_b was typing same time as me :)

Edit again: Looks like they're 2 x 8 Ohm units wired in series so 16 Ohm as is, you could change it to 4 Ohm if you want to wire them in parallel.

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1308040' date='Jul 18 2011, 04:21 PM']Check those labels again :lol: 2x15" I reckon :)
Ah! chris_b was typing same time as me :)[/quote]

Bit of a brain fart there!

Yes. 2x15 obviously!

It'd need a 100W valve head on it to be any kind of use.

It's also quite large!

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1308021' date='Jul 18 2011, 04:10 PM']It's not mine, it's a mate of mine's...

I think it's easy to tell it's a 100W (2x50W) 2x10. But what else is a bit difficult as it has no serials, model numbers, it doesn't even have the impedance on it.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm quite keen on it, but he's got no idea how much he wants for it.[/quote]

As there are two speakers it's 4 ohms if they're wired in parallel, 16 ohms if serial.

[quote name='bremen' post='1308051' date='Jul 18 2011, 04:26 PM']As there are two speakers it's 4 ohms if they're wired in parallel, 16 ohms if serial.[/quote]

Aye. looks parallel to me. Also it'd be pretty useless as a standalone cab @ 16Ohms.

That said, it's been used mainly as a guitar cab in a studio over the last few years...

[quote name='chris_b' post='1308132' date='Jul 18 2011, 05:37 PM']There were a lot of 16 ohm cabs about in the 60's and 70's.[/quote]

In those days amps were valves so you'd select the speaker impedance to match and so the actual impedance was not important.

Also in those days two cabs were common so 2 x 16 Ohm cabs in parallel would give you 8 Ohms at the amp, which would be fine. 2 x 4 Ohm cabs would give you 2 Ohms at the amp which would not be fine so a 16 Ohm cab would be more useful than a 4 Ohm cab.

Ah. All good info...

It looks like parallel to me :

Anyways, it could be easily rewired.

Anyone got any idea what a fair price would be to offer him? He's got little idea, he inherited it and wants rid as he's got nowhere to useful to store it.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1308204' date='Jul 18 2011, 06:33 PM']Ah. All good info...

It looks like parallel to me ...[/quote]

No, it's series as KiOgon said.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1308040' date='Jul 18 2011, 04:21 PM']Check those labels again :lol: 2x15" I reckon :)
Ah! chris_b was typing same time as me :)

Edit again: Looks like they're 2 x 8 Ohm units wired in series so 16 Ohm as is, you could change it to 4 Ohm if you want to wire them in parallel.[/quote]

• 11 months later...

To be gig worthy you'd need to replace the drivers, brace, port and line the cab. Otherwise it would be an oversized underperforming albeit cool looking curiousity. If you or a mate have the skills to do that it might be worth the hundred, much or all of which you could recoup selling the drivers to a collector.

Nowt wrong with the speakers. Cab belonged to my mates dad from new I believe and wasn't overworked. It's then spent some year being an occasional guitar cab / stored in a studio.

I'd be happy with it as is if was using a valve head and wasn't bothered about wheels and weight.

Edited by bigjohn

Had a a pair of T60 cabs, similar size but a 15" and a 12" in each. The speakers had been changed by a previous owner to cheap EVs, Stage Sound if I remember correctly and with a Roost 100w valve head they sounded incredible especially with the 4001 I had at the time. The roost developed a fault so I used a GK200w head instead but it lost the immense sound with the GK, just sounded flat and lifeless which bought on a severe case of GAS. The new owner of the cabs was equally impressed with them though. I did get the Roost back eventually but that went as well. I've always regretted that.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1342973768' post='1743305']
Nowt wrong with the speakers. Cab belonged to my mates dad from new I believe and wasn't overworked. It's then spent some year being an occasional guitar cab / stored in a studio.
[/quote]It's not a matter of anything beiong wrong with them, just the fact that 50 watt fifteens of that era generally were displacement limited to perhaps 30 watts before farting out. That's a mighty big box to haul about for such a small result.