Why become a member? ×

Tal Wilkenfeld

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1307152' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:11 PM']Why the negative comments? She's obviously a great player. :)[/quote]
I'd say she's a very good player.....she's got a long way to go to be great.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1307152' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:11 PM']Why the negative comments? She's obviously a great player. :)[/quote]

Because she's a woman. Not aimed at anyone in particular who's so far commented as we all like different players but every time her name gets mentioned all I get reminded of is how embarrassingly chauvinistic and jealous some men can get.

[quote name='risingson' post='1307361' date='Jul 18 2011, 01:17 AM']Because she's a woman. Not aimed at anyone in particular who's so far commented as we all like different players but every time her name gets mentioned all I get reminded of is how embarrassingly chauvinistic and jealous some men can get.[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned,my not particularly liking her has nothing to do with her being a woman. If the thread
had been 'how great is Esperanza?' I would have said that I think she's great.

I know Tal moved to the USA, but I bet she also would have found it easier to get on the breakfast TV show in the clip because she's Australian, and Richard Wilkins (co-host) has been very helpful toward supporting Australian music for a number of years. I also suspect some here might interpret that as 'unwarranted attention' also.

She is a solid and obviously well learned player, there's no denying that, but I feel she has no defining features to her playing, by which I mean if you were to play any of her songs to someone without knowing it was her I think most would just assume it's another fusion bassist.

I don't think many people can go "Oh yes that's Tal" as soon as they hear her, whereas Vinnie is much the opposite.

I agree. And also:

[quote name='Doddy' post='1307180' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:37 PM']I'd say she's a very good player.....she's got a long way to go to be great.[/quote]
This. Her gender makes no difference at all.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1307114' date='Jul 17 2011, 09:35 PM']Is she the Japanese girl that plays Sadowskys or Laklands :) Anyone want to fire up a clip?[/quote]

She's Dutch I believe. And yes, she is very good. But surely we don't have to limit ourselves to just one young, attractive, talented female bass player?

[quote name='jacko' post='1307111' date='Jul 17 2011, 09:34 PM']I can't help wondering why players like this didn't just buy a guitar in the first place.[/quote]

Well she might not like the thought of taking it up the Octave.

To be honest that is not the best clip to post of her - she has better stuff out there.
I find her playing Ok, but certainly all been done before.

Garry

My own opinion, but I like Tal's playing on that video. She grooves pretty hard so in that respect, she's carrying out the fundamental role of the bass player in a band. I think Tal will probably join the ranks of players like Jeff Andrews, Tom Kennedy & John Pattitucci, making a good living playing jazz in the U.S. / Europe / Asia.

Having a partner like Vinnie will keep her in work for years to come. Fair play to her.

Cheers,
louisthebass

Dislike Tal's music, that’s fine, it's not my favourite by a long way, but her ability got her where she is and it will keep her there.

Successful players successfully network to get a gig, but do you really think the likes of Herbie Hancock, Chic Corea and Jeff beck are going to choose their musicians based on their living arrangements? Get real!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1307598' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:09 AM']Successful players successfully network to get a gig, but do you really think the likes of Herbie Hancock, Chic Corea and Jeff beck are going to choose their musicians based on their living arrangements? Get real!![/quote]

My thoughts exactly, all this crap flying around about how she could never possibly get a gig without Vinnie is total rubbish.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1307598' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:09 AM']Successful players successfully network to get a gig, but do you really think the likes of Herbie Hancock, Chic Corea and Jeff beck are going to choose their musicians based on their living arrangements? Get real!![/quote]

+1

Any working full time Musician will make a career out of Music because they have put in plenty of business effort.
PR/promotion/practising/networking/getting to know fixers/agents/MD's and all the other sh*te that goes with running a business.
You make you own luck as they say, and Tai Wilkenfeld has done this.

Garry

There's some rather odious muso snobbery going on in this thread.

I saw her with Jeff Beck 2 years ago and I though she was fantastic. I'm not particularly into jazz fusion, I don't know how she compares to this player and that player, I don't study other player's techniques in detail and to be honest I find that whole style of playing general rather boring - great technical ability does not necessarily make for exciting music. Maybe Jeff Beck is wrong, but I'd be inclined to trust his judgement over most of the musicians on here.

Anthony Jackson was her mentor for a few years (and may well still be). I sincerely doubt Anthony could care less who her partner is or would waste a second on someone he didn't believe in. Like or dislike the music/the playing - that's fine. Make statements that she's only successful because of who she is romantically attached to - that's pathetic.

Talent is a subjective thing. Talent to one man is nothing to someone else. Personal preference also comes into play... People will never agree on something like this, it's horses for courses. Like me saying the Xbox is more powerful than the PS3 - its subjectional based on what criterea is important to you. It's the same as...

Man A think Metallica are the most talented band in the world
Man B thinks it's a racket and can't see how that 'noise' can be considered 'talent'
Man C learns to play a Metallica guitar solo and his mates think he's talented as they can't do it, but Man D is a jazz musician and thinks said solos are easy so man C isn't really that talented

Tal has enough of what ever talent is to of made a strong career out of it. If that's on the back of other people's success - so what!? That's no different to Stanley Clarke and his 'championing' of many inexperienced jazz musicians, until the point that they are now big names. Just because her bass work doesn't excite you or interest you does not means she's not talented - just that you identify talent in a different way. Tal's playing floats Pete's boat, and many others.

Personally - I'm not a fan. I respect her in the same way I respect Mark King... They have a strong reputation and are earning a living from music they love... But neither inspire me or tick my 'my god they're talented' box (while they clearly both are!). Give me Justin Chancellor from Tool - To me that's talent, the most solid bass player in modern music (IMO) with a technical grounding that surpases most others and a rhythmic feel I can only dream of. TO ME - JC is more talented than Tal, Mark King, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and a host of others... But that's because he ticks my talent boxes in this rather subjectional grey area.

I think it's another of those 'inability to distinguish between what you don't like and what isn't good' debates.
She is clearly a very good player and has clearly worked hard on that. She doesn't set me on fire but I have a lot of respect for what she has achieved, as for getting where she is because she is female... I think thats laughable, I've worked professionally in music for over 20 years and in my estimation being female is NOT an advantage.

She's clearly talented and she's got plenty of time on her side. Her solo stuff so far doesn't do it for me though. She's clearly had some big gigs, but barring her solo work I don't think she's really had a gig she could really call her own yet, and it'll be interesting to see if she does find one. Obvious possibility, but I expect we'll hear some music from her and Orianthi together.