Why become a member? ×

Sentimentality.......

TRBboy

I've owned my US standard Fender Jazz from new since 1997, and for many years it was my go-to bass (or sometimes my only bass!). We've done lots and lots of very varied gigs and projects together, but unfortunately for quite a while now, I seem to have fallen out of love with it. There's nothing wrong with it, and it sounds great, but it just doesn't feel natural or comfortable in my hands anymore. The purchase of my Sandberg earlier this year has further compounded this because it is effortless to play and is, for me, the most comfortable neck on anything I've ever played.

I'm pretty experienced at doing set-ups, and when I took it to my local luthier recently, he confirmed that there's nothing wrong with the neck and couldn't really improve much on the way i'd set it up.

So, here's my dilemma:

Do I;

A) Keep it for sentimental reasons, even though I probably won't really use it.

:) Sell it and buy something else that I'll get plenty of use out of (possibly a Lakland Skyline 44-01 or save a bit more and get a Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor).

As you may have guessed, I'm useless at making decisions! Help me please!

If it's worth something, sell it, if it isn't don't.
I have a Dean (not a bad one either - Bartolini pups) and a Crafter (my first bass). They don't ever get played and thus don't make my sig, but there's no point selling for all of the £100 they'd raise collectively, it's just not worth it.

i had a similar dilemma a few years ago about selling my first proper bass - a Fender Jazz Bass Special, from the late 80's. I decided to sell. I can't say I've really missed it even though it was a great bass, and probably still is for someone.
I'd vote for selling, and getting something you'll play and get as much pleasuer from as the Fender user to give you.
FWIW I played a Sandberg Ken Taylor sig once, it was an awesome sounding bass too. Much nicer than the Lakland 55-02 I played back to back with it.

IMO a sentimental attachment to an instrument isn't so much about the instrument it's self but what it reminds you of. I have two i'd never sell, neither are worth much anyway. One's my first bass, a Washburn XB100, the other is the bass I did my first gig with, I played it for 8 years or so, including all through college and my first proper bands, my Ibanez BTB406QM.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I'm kind of surprised that the bias seems to be toward keeping it at the moment! The trouble is I can't really afford to keep it if it's not earning its keep! I still have my first bass, a crappy squier P which I painted metallic purple! That's worth about 1% of piss-all so I'll never sell it. My jazz would hopefully be worth at least £600 - £650, so I could really use that money to buy something else.

I guess I've got lots and lots of fond memories of my jazz, and they'll stay with me forever. Do I need to look at it now and then too? I don't know.....

Gwilym - I'm very interested to hear that about the Ken Taylor! I've never come across one in the flesh, but my Basic is AWESOME and the mass of extra tones on offer would be great. Plus, I'm a sucker for the Virgin White one with black hardware.......... :)

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='John Schoen' post='1300292' date='Jul 11 2011, 08:56 PM']A) Keep it. It has become part of your life after fourteen years and everything you did with it, I am sure you are going to miss it as soon as you have sold it.[/quote]

+1 :)

Is there a specific reason that it's sentimental or is it just the time? If you're not getting on with it and it doesn't remind you of anything specific, you should sell it IMO.

Sandbergs are great basses, I've had two and both are stunning instruments, the jazz is the only bass I've ever sold that I miss. There's a Sandberg or two hanging about in the for sale forum at the moment, maybe if you like the look of them you could ask the seller(s) if they're interested in a trade and maybe end up with a bass you prefer.

Over the years I've had a fewbasses I've been really attached to and ended up selling them in the end, usually on the provision that if I really looked hard enough I could probably find another one. If a new bass inspires you, thats great. Nothing wrong with keeping your old gear either. I'd rather a bass be used and enjoyed rather than just sitting in a case. Mind you, I'm struggling to give all my basses the play time they deserve lately. I can never decide whether to go for the Status, the Kubicki or the ACG...:)

I`ve sold a fair few instruments over the last few years, mainly for the fact that I wasn`t playing them, and they were far too good to just be sitting around as, basically, ornaments.

A couple of them were items I thought I`d never get rid of - my first Gibson Les Paul for instance, or the MIM Fender Precision that I used on my biggest gig ever (6000+ people). But, they`ve gone, and I`m sure the new owners are playing them regularly, and treating them with the care that they deserve.

If I had an instrument that had sentimental reasons for keeping, such as a relative had bought it for me, then I`d probably keep hold, but otherwise, if it`s something I`m not playing, and I could do with the money, then I`d sell.

The positive thing about owning basses is that it's really A cash asset if it's something you could sell easily

So no rush to decide anything until your convienved that you do need to money for something else

Something's come back round into favor again after a break

Edited by lojo

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1300475' date='Jul 11 2011, 11:39 PM']Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I'm kind of surprised that the bias seems to be toward keeping it at the moment! The trouble is I can't really afford to keep it if it's not earning its keep! I still have my first bass, a crappy squier P which I painted metallic purple! That's worth about 1% of piss-all so I'll never sell it. My jazz would hopefully be worth at least £600 - £650, so I could really use that money to buy something else.

I guess I've got lots and lots of fond memories of my jazz, and they'll stay with me forever. Do I need to look at it now and then too? I don't know.....

Gwilym - I'm very interested to hear that about the Ken Taylor! I've never come across one in the flesh, but my Basic is AWESOME and the mass of extra tones on offer would be great. Plus, I'm a sucker for the Virgin White one with black hardware.......... :)[/quote]

Think you've supplied the answer in your third sentence, no sentimentality going on there :)

If you're a big soppy git then keep it.

I have a bass that I think I will never sell, but it's not because I'm a big soppy git, it's because of how it plays and sounds. I don't really understand people who hang on to stuff they don't want or need any more just for the sake of having it. Those people end up with crowded lofts and cupboards. And I imagine their houses burn down a lot faster.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1301725' date='Jul 12 2011, 11:06 PM']If you're a big soppy git then keep it.

I have a bass that I think I will never sell, but it's not because I'm a big soppy git, it's because of how it plays and sounds. I don't really understand people who hang on to stuff they don't want or need any more just for the sake of having it. Those people end up with crowded lofts and cupboards. And I imagine their houses burn down a lot faster.[/quote]

For me my 4 strings (my first bass, and my Attitude) i keep fro 1) Tonal reasons! 2) For all my rocking out with rock and punk bands and 3) for sentimental reasons,

The attitude is like an old friend to me, i know alot of people don't get that and i understand that! But if it were stolen or something it would be like loosing a friend to me,

I think the fact that I'm pleased that there's more people saying "sell it!" now should be telling me something!

I guess if I had the money to buy whatever basses I wanted I would keep it, but I'm leaning more towards selling it at the moment........

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1301758' date='Jul 12 2011, 11:44 PM']I think the fact that I'm pleased that there's more people saying "sell it!" now should be telling me something!

I guess if I had the money to buy whatever basses I wanted I would keep it, but I'm leaning more towards selling it at the moment........[/quote]

If you think you will gain more from selling it and getting something new then sell it :) though if your unsure or think you might not (taking sentimentality into account!) don't sell it

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1301898' date='Jul 13 2011, 08:05 AM']I've subscribed because I'm having the exact same drama at the moment. It's kinda comforting to know that I'm not just being stupid!

I'd like to see how this turns out so please keep us posted :)[/quote]

What basses does your dilemma concern? Maybe we can swap! :)

Yeah, it's difficult, I am usually a very practical person, and as I can't afford to have loads of basses I'd rather make sure that the few I have are all enjoyable to play and will get played regularly. It will be a sad day if I sell the Jazz though.......