Why become a member? ×

Stagecraft

Conan

One of my favourite acts over the years is Blue Oyster Cult. Just been watching a fairly recent live performance of the guys on youtube and it got me thinking. The bass player, Rudy Sarzo is not one of the original band members. In fact, BOC have had a bit of a revolving-door policy regarding bassists!

Anyway, what do you think of his performance? Not his actual tone or note selection, but the way that he comes across on stage?

And yes, I now know how to embed video!! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1299874' date='Jul 11 2011, 01:29 PM']One of my favourite acts over the years is Blue Oyster Cult. Just been watching a fairly recent live performance of the guys on youtube and it got me thinking. The bass player, Rudy Sarzo is not one of the original band members. In fact, BOC have had a bit of a revolving-door policy regarding bassists!

Anyway, what do you think of his performance? Not his actual tone or note selection, but the way that he comes across on stage?

And yes, I now know how to embed video!! :)

[/quote]
I love BOC, have done for 30 years. This is one of my favourite songs.

Sarzo is a very good player, but he looks a bit wrong on that stage, like he wishes he was back in Quiet Riot with Randy. Shame Joe Bouchard isn't still with them. Mind you, they are all looking and sounding a bit dried up now, way past their best IMO.

[quote name='silddx' post='1299893' date='Jul 11 2011, 01:43 PM']Sarzo is a very good player, but he looks a bit wrong on that stage. Shame Joe Bouchard isn't still with them.[/quote]

Interestingly, I think some of their best ever stuff was done with Danny Miranda on bass! Bouchard ain't no Wooten, but his style very much suited the band in their earlier incarnations...

[quote name='Conan' post='1299896' date='Jul 11 2011, 01:47 PM']Interestingly, I think some of their best ever stuff was done with Danny Miranda on bass! Bouchard ain't no Wooten, but his style very much suited the band in their earlier incarnations...[/quote]
Yes Joe laid down some great lines but he's not been involved for probably over 20yrs. I thought Danny Miranda fitted in really well too. I think he got lured away by a regular theatre gig (may have been We Will Rock You?). Some of the stuff on Heaven Forbid and Curse of the Hidden Mirror was the best they had done in a long time.

On a more general level then. Some times the bass player can be the "cool" guy at the back who just stands there and plays his part... Other bass players are far more active on stage and contribute more to the overall visual experience. At what point do most of you draw your own line about what is over the top? Have you ever been told that you were acting like a prat? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1299925' date='Jul 11 2011, 02:28 PM']On a more general level then. Some times the bass player can be the "cool" guy at the back who just stands there and plays his part... Other bass players are far more active on stage and contribute more to the overall visual experience. At what point do most of you draw your own line about what is over the top? Have you ever been told that you were acting like a prat? :)[/quote]
Never been told I act like a prat, but I have done some daft things on stage, both movement and clothing. Did get mentioned in a review a couple of years ago, decent review of the band but it also said [i]'.. but why oh why was the lead guitarist [/i](I was playing bass!) [i]dressed like a modern day Pierrot?[/i]'. I wore a black and white outfit with a beret and a B&W Venetian mask - in a South African Zulu funk band :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1299938' date='Jul 11 2011, 02:42 PM']He doesn't look as much of a plonker as the cop standing facing the audience![/quote]

I know! "Oh, is there a band behind me? I'm just carrying out my duty here y'all... I don't listen to this long-haired, young persons music anyway - more of an Elvis fan, etc, etc"

[quote name='Conan' post='1299972' date='Jul 11 2011, 03:01 PM']I know! "Oh, is there a band behind me? I'm just carrying out my duty here y'all...[/quote]

Er, that's exactly what he IS doing. Little point there being a cop there if he is going to turn away from the crowd (who he should be watching) and start getting on down. Not sure about the hat, mind you.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1300050' date='Jul 11 2011, 04:16 PM']Sarzo's rock star looks and posing have served him well over the years. He replaced Bob Daisley (a far superior player) in Ozzy's band and then replaced Neil Murray ( a far superior player) in Whitesnake.[/quote]
Both decent bassists but far superior to Sarzo?? Have to disagree there!

I don't see anything wrong with RS on this clip - quite restrained really, he just has aged better than the others!

[quote name='Conan' post='1299925' date='Jul 11 2011, 02:28 PM']Some times the bass player can be the "cool" guy at the back who just stands there and plays his part...[/quote]

Isn't that what they're all doing?

Or have I missed something?