Why become a member? ×

Fender - New 70s Precision

wateroftyne

[quote name='NJE' post='1303351' date='Jul 14 2011, 11:43 AM']Does anyone have a copy of 'The Fender Bass an illustrated history'? I have one somehwere and am 99% sure that in there is a 'prodcution' Precision with sunburst body and blocked maple neck. Not saying they made it for long but I think they did make it, whether it was made in the 70's is another thing, i will dig the book out tonight.[/quote]
There's a black one with a white guard, and blocks.

P w/blocks was never a production model... unfortunately.

[quote name='NJE' post='1303351' date='Jul 14 2011, 11:43 AM']Does anyone have a copy of 'The Fender Bass an illustrated history'? I have one somehwere and am 99% sure that in there is a 'prodcution' Precision with sunburst body and blocked maple neck. Not saying they made it for long but I think they did make it, whether it was made in the 70's is another thing, i will dig the book out tonight.[/quote]
Aye, there is - maple/black blocks. I can't tell if the neck has Jazz dimensions from memory, but it does say Precision Bass on the headstock. The comment nearby states that the bass was likely made for a custom order.

Edited by Green Alsatian

I wasnt completely imagining it then, phew! I must dig that book out, havent had a good look through in a long time. Custom model would explain it, must READ books and not just look at the pictures in future.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1303357' date='Jul 14 2011, 11:46 AM']There's a black one with a white guard, and blocks.

P w/blocks was never a production model... unfortunately.[/quote]

[quote name='Green Alsatian' post='1303425' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:27 PM']Aye, there is - maple/black blocks. I can't tell if the neck has Jazz dimensions from memory, but it does say Precision Bass on the headstock. The comment nearby states that the bass was likely made for a custom order.[/quote]

[quote name='NJE' post='1303536' date='Jul 14 2011, 02:02 PM']I wasnt completely imagining it then, phew! I must dig that book out, havent had a good look through in a long time. Custom model would explain it, must READ books and not just look at the pictures in future.[/quote]
I've been there, misquoting said tome in a recent thread about Norman Watt Roy's bass and telling 60s Jazzes apart! Must.. read.. words too! :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1309250' date='Jul 19 2011, 03:18 PM']Thomanns have these in stock now but the price is £867. Thats about what i paid for a MIA this time last year.
Its also £200 dearer than the 50's version.[/quote]

You can still get the odd real 70s P for that can't you?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='stringintheshade' post='1294378' date='Jul 6 2011, 09:47 AM']Exactly. I think it's called nostalgia. It's an invented 70s. Like Velvet Goldmine or any other number of stylised 70s representations. We know it wasn't really like that. Much grimmer, like those 1976 TOTP reruns on at the mo'. Every decade eventually gets reinvented by those who weren't there.[/quote]

What? So we're all closet revisionist historians?
It'd be nice if you could choose what neck/blocks/binding you had.
I prefer anything but Rosewood. But that's because soooooo many basses have Rosewood 'boards. Yeah, it sounds well balanced, but lacks he compressed snarl of Maple.

Well, after very little agonising (almost to the point of it being a foregone conclusion as soon as I saw the picture) I bought the white one. It's done a couple of rehearsals now, and I'm happy to report it's a very nice bass indeed. A quick tweak of the neck and a set of strap-locks is all it took to make it 'mine', the pickup is articulate and has a nice growl to it, the build quality and finish are right for the price tag and nice as they were, it's certainly a step up from the two 2009 MIMs that I traded in against it. So yeah, happy punter!

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1372914' date='Sep 14 2011, 10:10 AM']Well, after very little agonising (almost to the point of it being a foregone conclusion as soon as I saw the picture) I bought the white one. It's done a couple of rehearsals now, and I'm happy to report it's a very nice bass indeed. A quick tweak of the neck and a set of strap-locks is all it took to make it 'mine', the pickup is articulate and has a nice growl to it, the build quality and finish are right for the price tag and nice as they were, it's certainly a step up from the two 2009 MIMs that I traded in against it. So yeah, happy punter![/quote]
Pictures please :)

Edited by dan2112

[quote name='dan2112' post='1373085' date='Sep 14 2011, 12:19 PM']Pictures please :)[/quote]

My photographic skills aren't anything to write home about, but the shop took some pictures for their website, so the detailed shots on the link below are of my bass:

[url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/fender_70s_precision_bass_guitar_mij_olympic_white.asp"]http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/fe...ympic_white.asp[/url]

That said, here's one taken by me, just to prove it happened!

[attachment=89431:DSCF0399.JPG]

Out on my travels today I got to try the Sunburst 70's Precision...... Bloody hell i'm in love with this bass... it looks even better in the flesh and the tone is to die for. So much so that i've given up on the 50's road worn Precision (for the moment :) ) >Really really impressed with it, the neck is fantastic... a thing of beauty. I even liked the white one...!!! what's wrong with me I don't like white basses.......

Going to have to get rid of some basses..... anyone want my Yamaha BB1200s lol