Why become a member? ×

Fender - New 70s Precision

wateroftyne

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1294825' date='Jul 6 2011, 03:20 PM']Given that (many) Fender parts are readily interchangeable, I'm surprised they don't have an ordering hotline a bit like a Chinese take-away. Give 'em a call, pick what you like off of the menu, and it's despatched a fortnight later. Why so long? They've got to rout the body for your choice of pick-up/s and allow time for the paint/lacquer to dry.

Otherwise, sell kits for user assembly (works with bicycles, and for IKEA) or allow dealers to hold spares enough to build instruments on site. Ooooh!

Think of the options!

Tuners- Elephant Ears, Lollipops, Reverse or non-reverse geared, Klusons, Fenders, Lightweights, D-Tuners, Black/Gold/Chrome/Nickel/Relic

Necks- One piece maple, choice of truss-rod adjustment (neck, body and "vintage") Dots, Blocks or blank. Bound. Unbound. Skunk stripe or none. Maple, Rosewood, Pau Ferro, Phenolic or Ebony boards in fretted or fretless (coated as necessary) All in P or J widths and C,D and soft V shapes. Matching ot non-matching headstock. Slim or standard headstock shapes. Tusq, Nylon or brass nuts, Frets: 0/20/21/22/24

Bridges- BBOT, BadassII, HMVintage, choice of through-body or top-load, in Black/Gold/Chrome/Relic.

Bodies- Ash/Alder. Choose a colour, trans, burst, natural or metallic finish. P,J,Tele,Jag,Mustang

Pick-ups- 51p single coils, J, P, P/J, Bigblock, P/P, JJ/JJ, Tele HB,j/p/j Reverse or Non-Reverse P, mustang pup, Optional extra's wizards/SD etc...

Controls/plates- Classic J, Tele,P,Jag options, plus Stacked pot J also option for no plate ofcourse

Just working that lot out (disregarding colours) gives over 5000 combinations.
All of which would be identifiable to most of us as having some degree of Fender heritage... Let them keep going. There has to be a combination in there for most people. Even if it's just a specific combination of hitherto unavailable features or colour combinations.[/quote]

Fixed but CBA to work out number of combinations :)

[quote name='lojo' post='1294860' date='Jul 6 2011, 03:43 PM']Whilst I think blocks look cool on jazzes , I like the fact that Ps are fairly plain humble basses, blocks don't suit my image of a P[/quote]

I think if done right it blocks can look good on any neck :-)

Yep, with a rosewood neck i think blocks work well but i think a maple fretboard should have dots.

This was one of the big reasons i never wanted a Squier VM Jazz, even though i love blocks.

For what its worth i also didnt like the binding on the MIM 70's classic Jazz. I felt it looked cheap and nasty. I hope this is different but i doubt it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1296068' date='Jul 7 2011, 03:27 PM']Nice!

I bet I'm not the only one who this pic made an impact on back in the day...
[/quote]

Yeah.. that's got a Jazz bass neck on it. Weird! :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1294793' date='Jul 6 2011, 02:53 PM']There never were block on a P. This is Fender mixing it up a bit, in their own way.

FWIW, the red is the first colour to fade, so there's a chance your 'burst looked like this when it was new.[/quote]

Nope I've had it since it was about 4-5 years old, it still looks the same, yellow,red,black

Dec

[quote name='dmz' post='1297837' date='Jul 8 2011, 11:33 PM']I prefer the black one........

[attachment=84305:dsp1.jpg][/quote]

That does look fantastic :)

If these play nice, i would be very tempted sell my herd, buy two white ones, spray one black and fit rounds on one and flats on the other.

Sorted :)

[quote name='charic' post='1296287' date='Jul 7 2011, 06:58 PM']Yeah.. that's got a Jazz bass neck on it. Weird! :)[/quote]
And note the Non-Standard bridge (can't see what it is) and some sort of switching- What do [b]2[/b] switches do on a precision?

Series/parallel, maybe. What's the second? On/Off? :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1298230' date='Jul 9 2011, 02:05 PM']And note the Non-Standard bridge (can't see what it is) and some sort of switching- What do [b]2[/b] switches do on a precision?

Series/parallel, maybe. What's the second? On/Off? :)[/quote]
Looks like it *might* be a Badass

It looks like its only got a single pickup, so apart from a series/parallel the only other thing I can think of that would use a switch would be some kind of a preamp.

[quote name='tredders' post='1294339' date='Jul 6 2011, 09:15 AM']A cool, a Precision I haven't ever / don't currently own...

All of the "they never actually made anything like this in the 70's" aside, I like the look of these. Wonder how much they'll cost?[/quote]

Me too. I like it.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' post='1295105' date='Jul 6 2011, 07:54 PM']I like 'em - if the build quality/feel/sound is comparable to the other MIM Classic series then this should be a cracking bass.[/quote]

These are Japanese, although they are adding them to the classic series. I thought they might put them in the new 'pawn shop' series as they're not strictly authentic.

Street price will probably be £900!

Does anyone have a copy of 'The Fender Bass an illustrated history'? I have one somehwere and am 99% sure that in there is a 'prodcution' Precision with sunburst body and blocked maple neck. Not saying they made it for long but I think they did make it, whether it was made in the 70's is another thing, i will dig the book out tonight.

I love it, Blocks, Maple board and its a precision and comes in white, what more could you want. black on maple rocks on the Geddy and looks wicked on this. i want one, just a shame they are Jap because that will mean they will be way out of my 'second bass' budget until they start showing up second hand.

Edited by NJE