Why become a member? ×

Advice please!

stoker

I'm trying to sell an amp so I put it up on Gumtree and I've been contacted by this chap and there are somethings that make me feel uneasy.
Firstly every email I've had has come from a different email addy, he's asked me about things that I included on the ad (price, condition that sort of thing) so you think if he'd actually seen the ad he'd know and wouldn't need to ask.
He's also said that he can only pay by Paypal even though I have said that I don't have a Paypal account and I'm not wanting to set one up if I'm theoreticaly only gonna use it once as I've coped quite well without it so far.
Also he's offering well over the price I'm asking and because he's a marine engineer and has limited computer access he'll send someone to pick up the amp.
What do people think, con or not?

Edited by stoker

Yep it's a con.

First off, multiple email addresses are in no way indicative of limited computer access.
Secondly, who in their right mind is going to offer more money than was originally asked for.

If he's a marine engineer then he's doing it off the coast of Nigeria...

A quick Google of "Marine Engineer Scam" landed this:

[url="http://www.suite101.com/content/car-buying-scam-using-paypal-a215956"]http://www.suite101.com/content/car-buying...-paypal-a215956[/url]

Note the comments/replies at the bottom.

Caveat Venditor & all that.

I use paypal and sometimes for large amounts but I wouldn't use it to accept payments from anyone I wasn't sure of , it's ok for trusted bc members and trusted eBay buyers , but not many other situations for me

I agree with all the above 'scam' comments. Unfortunately, it seems par for the course these days when advertising anything for sale, or wanted for that matter.

However, on a related matter, I was rather surprised to receive a 'Nigerian scam'-type letter [u]though the post[/u] last week. Never had that before. Anyone else?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1292009' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:53 AM']...However, on a related matter, I was rather surprised to receive a 'Nigerian scam'-type letter [u]though the post[/u] last week. Never had that before. Anyone else?[/quote]

I had one, hand-written I think, through the post. But that was back in 1998! Ever since then it's been email only. I've often wondered if I should have kept it as a museum piece. :)

[quote name='stoker' post='1291951' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:21 AM']Thanks for all the tips. Just emailed the guy to tell him I'll only take cash for the amp. Be interesting to see what he says to that.[/quote]

Call his bluff and ask for his paypal account details - and ask him his home address. If the two addresses don't match then tell him you'll only consider sending it to his address registered with paypal.

Then if it's a UK address tell him that you / your uncle / mate / brother etc lives close to there and they're over this weekend so can pick up the goods and do cash on delivery etc.......

If it's within 1000 miles of Lagos tell him the UK has imposed an export ban on amplifiers as they can be stripped to salvage the parts to make interlocking flange nipples and cock-truss arrays :)

You get the idea :)

[quote name='toneknob' post='1292013' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:55 AM']Can the charge-back be avoided by transferring the fund out of your paypal account before releasing the goods?[/quote]

It seems not.
There is a limit on the amount of money you can withdraw from your PayPal account and it can only be done once a month unless your account is linked to a Direct Debit.

You'd never be able to clear your Paypal account out in time to prevent a chargeback and they could take it directly from your bank account months later if they wanted to.

The internet may have made the world a smaller place but it's also bought criminals closer...

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1292009' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:53 AM']However, on a related matter, I was rather surprised to receive a 'Nigerian scam'-type letter [u]though the post[/u] last week. Never had that before. Anyone else?[/quote]

Nope, but there's a Panorama documentary about that tonight - BBC1 @ 8:30.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1291728' date='Jul 4 2011, 02:45 AM']It's a scam. Report this guy to the admins and they'll cancel his account.[/quote]
How can you report him - he's not committed an offence, we all just suspect he may be a scammer.
You can't just accuse people without any real evidence.
I'd just leave well alone.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1292099' date='Jul 4 2011, 12:53 PM']....How can you report him - he's not committed an offence, we all just suspect he may be a scammer.
You can't just accuse people without any real evidence....[/quote]
He is attempting a scam so he isn't "innocent until proved guilty"!! Jeez!!

You can report him.... The OP isn't the only person this guy has emailed so Gumtree will check whatever they can check (they have the experience and info) and if they think he's scamming they will cancel his account.

This has happened to me and the Gumtree admins did just what I said.