Why become a member? ×

Advice please!

stoker

These are betrayers.
We have a lot of problems with those people here in germany, maybe it is a well organized and structured gang.
It is always the same profile.
mostly english or spanish names and emailadresses.
they send you the money and after that, someone comes to pick it up from you..2 days later the bank transfer is invalid and the money is taken away from your account.
so you do not have an instrument/amp etc anymore and no money as well..ripped

sometimes they just want your bank details so the use them in another deal to get a third member´s item.
kind of really popular at the moment.
please do not do the deal..you will regret it.

Maybe also interesting in this thread
[url="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.tweakpc.de/berichte/ebay_vorkasse_betrug/s01.php&langpair=de|en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8"]Ebay Scam[/url]

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1292260' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:05 PM']2 days later the bank transfer is invalid and the money is taken away from your account.
so you do not have an instrument/amp etc anymore and no money as well..ripped[/quote]

What I don't get is how a bank transfer can look ok then become invalid?

ficelles

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1292009' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:53 AM']However, on a related matter, I was rather surprised to receive a 'Nigerian scam'-type letter [u]though the post[/u] last week. Never had that before. Anyone else?[/quote]

I got one a few years ago -it freaked me out a bit but nothing else seems to have happened

[quote name='ficelles' post='1292271' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:12 PM']....What I don't get is how a bank transfer can look ok then become invalid?....[/quote]
The money is immediately credited to your account but actually takes a few days to transfer. Both banks have to run their computer update programs to send and receive the money. Your bank asks for the money and it NOT found in the other bank. The money is not put into your account and the amount is removed from your grand total.

This can take several days and upto 6 months when clearing cheques.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1292363' date='Jul 4 2011, 04:16 PM']The money is immediately credited to your account but actually takes a few days to transfer. Both banks have to run their computer update programs to send and receive the money. Your bank asks for the money and it NOT found in the other bank. The money is not put into your account and the amount is removed from your grand total.

This can take several days and upto 6 months when clearing cheques.[/quote]

I thought a bank transfer happened there and then and the payment was only made against cleared funds with the BT amount deducted at that time. The only way it can be recalled is in the event of a fraud on the sending account i.e. someone using someone else's account.

Btw computerised banking doesn't work quite the way you suggest, thinking back to my days with SWIFT and the BoA. It's a little more event-driven.

ficelles

[quote name='stoker' post='1291689' date='Jul 4 2011, 12:30 AM']Also he's offering well over the price I'm asking and because he's a marine engineer and has limited computer access he'll send someone to pick up the amp.[/quote]

Sounds very fishy.

Fishy! Fishy! Geddit? Lawl.

Seriously though, all these other replies above are incorrect. This guy is totally above board.

I did it again!

But seriously, what I said above, about him not being a scammer? That was a red herring.

Oh boy I'm on fire today.

S.P.

[quote name='icastle' post='1291711' date='Jul 4 2011, 01:14 AM']Secondly, who in their right mind is going to offer more money than was originally asked for.[/quote]

That's the main point. Designed to appeal to our greediness making us bypass our common sense. Typical of scams.

Anything unusual? Stay out.
Even then, sometimes you get caught offguard, as myself and other BCers found out a month or so ago (fortuantely, everybody who came out got their money back... but I would not be surprised if there were some others)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1292125' date='Jul 4 2011, 01:08 PM']He is attempting a scam so he isn't "innocent until proved guilty"!! Jeez!!

You can report him.... The OP isn't the only person this guy has emailed so Gumtree will check whatever they can check (they have the experience and info) and if they think he's scamming they will cancel his account.

This has happened to me and the Gumtree admins did just what I said.[/quote]

While I understand you, and I agree with you (I'm convinced he is trying to pull off a nice scam)... I'm very very very happy that the courts in this country do not operate this way and that you are not a judge.

At the moment, he has done NOTHING wrong.

Highly suspicious, yes, but that's not a crime.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1292469' date='Jul 4 2011, 05:32 PM']While I understand you, and I agree with you (I'm convinced he is trying to pull off a nice scam)... I'm very very very happy that the courts in this country do not operate this way and that you are not a judge.

At the moment, he has done NOTHING wrong.

Highly suspicious, yes, but that's not a crime.[/quote]
A nice scam? Is a [i]nice[/i] scam when it's not your money that's at risk?

The scam isn't being run from this country so our courts are irrelevant!!

What are you on?