Why become a member? ×

Hey DOOD!

Bilbo

[quote name='Johnston' post='1277544' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:28 PM']You mean he didn't think you'd just brought a large guitar along :)

But it does pose a question, When does an ERB cease to be a Bass.[/quote]

Never, its still An Extended Range [b]Bass[/b]

It cross over into the "guitar range" and some times even to the top of it, but it still has the strings a bass have and lower and then them other higher ones!

Would you apply that to trombone? (for example, and just because i had the trombone/trumpet version of this question earlier today!) If the parts are always higher? Though maybe thats not as good an arguement as they are built differently but apply it to Tuba and trumpet and where is the line? If it can only play the higher parts then its just a guitar/trumpet but it comes from and has the whole range of the bass/tuba at the heart of it!

Just my ramblings :) i'll keep 'em to myself next time haha :lol:

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1277556' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:34 PM']Never, its still An Extended Range [b]Bass[/b]

It cross over into the "guitar range" and some times even to the top of it, but it still has the strings a bass have and lower and then them other higher ones!

Would you apply that to trombone? (for example, and just because i had the trombone/trumpet version of this question earlier today!) If the parts are always higher? Though maybe thats not as good an arguement as they are built differently but apply it to Tuba and trumpet and where is the line? If it can only play the higher parts then its just a guitar/trumpet but it comes from and has the whole range of the bass/tuba at the heart of it!

Just my ramblings :) i'll keep 'em to myself next time haha :)[/quote]

OK I'll play

The Cello covers pretty much the same range on the stave as a 5 - string bass guitar. The scale length is typically 34", the same as many 4 -string basses. You can pluck it the same as a bass guitar and even produce some pretty decent fretless bass type sounds.
Instead of using the bass guitar to emulate a Double Bass, why not turn the idea around and use the Cello as a natural sister instrument to the bass guitar ?

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1277556' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:34 PM']Never, its still An Extended Range [b]Bass[/b][/quote]

But that's just nomenclature, why isn't it also an Extended Range Guitar? A guitar with its range extended downwards, rather than a bass extended upwards?

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1277687' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:34 PM']OK I'll play

The Cello covers pretty much the same range on the stave as a 5 - string bass guitar. The scale length is typically 34", the same as many 4 -string basses. You can pluck it the same as a bass guitar and even produce some pretty decent fretless bass type sounds.
Instead of using the bass guitar to emulate a Double Bass, why not turn the idea around and use the Cello as a natural sister instrument to the bass guitar ?[/quote]

I think it depends on the tuning to get the whole range, where as a bass guitar has the whole range avalible (though of this i'm unsure, and i'm talking about the low notes)

Though doesn't A bass guitar sound one octave below written? So the B, 2 ledger lines down below the staff is the B string, but what you're actually hearing is the octave below that,

The reason it is still a bass is it's access too and chromaticism (is that a word? :) ) in the lowest register (in terms of an ERB)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1277734' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:54 PM']I think it depends on the tuning to get the whole range, where as a bass guitar has the whole range avalible (though of this i'm unsure, and i'm talking about the low notes)

Though doesn't A bass guitar sound one octave below written? So the B, 2 ledger lines down below the staff is the B string, but what you're actually hearing is the octave below that,

The reason it is still a bass is it's access too and chromaticism (is that a word? :) ) in the lowest register (in terms of an ERB)[/quote]

Just checked it to be sure. The lowest note of the Cello in standard tuning is C2, that is C two octaves below middle C, which is one semitone lower than the B on a 5 string bass.

A giant upright acoustic bass guitar !

:)

HEY! I'm here!! Sorry I took so long arriving. (God there's gotta be a joke in there somewhere). I won't even fuss maself with the 'how many strings/ what is Bass' debate - just THANKS for the post! :)

With ref to the beast in question though, I play guitar, keyboard and a smidge of drums as well as Bass - call me wierd, but I really like the idea of having all the best bits from each in one instrument. I often get asked why I don't own a Chapman Stick yet, for the same reason!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1277824' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:11 PM']Just checked it to be sure. The lowest note of the Cello in standard tuning is C2, that is C two octaves below middle C, which is one semitone lower than the B on a 5 string bass.[/quote]
The lowest note on a cello is indeed C2, but that's still an octave and a semitone higher than the low B on a 5-string bass, which is B0.

The cello range (C2 to around A5, according to Wikipedia) is more comparable to a guitar (E2 to somewhere around C6, depending on number of frets).

simple thought to throw in...

bass - essentially for single notes (with a bit of chording)
guitar - chords ahoy (with a bit of single note stuff)

2 different beasts for 2 different purposes even with the tonal crossover?

[quote name='Stag' post='1278753' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:59 PM']There is a wonderful quote from Billy Sheehan somewhere about basses with more than 4 strings, and I cant quite remember it...

:)[/quote]

He's said many times, most guys don't give it a "real go" a "real go" being defined as around 20 years!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1278728' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:48 PM']I have to say, that bass in the video did sound awful. It probably would have been better if he hadn't just been squeaking away on those top strings![/quote]

Phew, not just me that thought that!

I'm afraid I don't get the erb thing, all that extra stuff to hold and move around (plus the cost of an 11-string replacement set) all for about 5 more notes per string...

[quote name='ead' post='1279570' date='Jun 23 2011, 12:57 PM']Phew, not just me that thought that!

I'm afraid I don't get the erb thing, all that extra stuff to hold and move around (plus the cost of an 11-string replacement set) all for about 5 more notes per string...[/quote]

And access to more notes in one hand position, and more ways to play the same note/octaves (octaves if you're doing the whole two handed tapping thing)

[quote name='lanark' post='1277708' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:44 PM']But that's just nomenclature, why isn't it also an Extended Range Guitar? A guitar with its range extended downwards, rather than a bass extended upwards?[/quote]
Perhaps because the first people to have them built were bassists.