Why become a member? ×

UK Music Shops - Why No Offers?

spongebob

I'm always seeing online bass forums, with users mainly in the USA, talking about how they have bought such-and-such a bargain at a music shop.

Seems that the big places - Guitar Centre, Musician's Friend, and a number of others, seemingly have some great offers at times - 10% for this day, 15% for that.

I've never seen anything like that in the UK - prices are pretty crazy as it is - Fender's increases in the last 2 years (£200 on a Geddy Lee!) - but with a sizable discount it might make things easier to swallow!

Maybe I've just looked in the wrong places - but I've never seen any shops offering such deals, even if for one day only. Imagine how much they could sell???

[quote name='spongebob' post='1277390' date='Jun 21 2011, 05:40 PM']I'm always seeing online bass forums, with users mainly in the USA, talking about how they have bought such-and-such a bargain at a music shop.

Seems that the big places - Guitar Centre, Musician's Friend, and a number of others, seemingly have some great offers at times - 10% for this day, 15% for that.

I've never seen anything like that in the UK - prices are pretty crazy as it is - Fender's increases in the last 2 years (£200 on a Geddy Lee!) - but with a sizable discount it might make things easier to swallow!

Maybe I've just looked in the wrong places - but I've never seen any shops offering such deals, even if for one day only. Imagine how much they could sell???[/quote]

They do, but UK shops are just more British about it (formal, reserved, discrete etc). The offers are there, you just have to contact them and play the game for a while.

If you don't ask you don't get. With instruments in music shops, I always see the marked price as meaning "offers around", and sometimes it works. If you just ask "what's the best price on this?" you may be surprised...

[quote name='Dubs' post='1277469' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:35 PM']If you don't ask you don't get. With instruments in music shops, I always see the marked price as meaning "offers around", and sometimes it works. If you just ask "what's the best price on this?" you may be surprised...[/quote]
Exactly what I did in Nevada Music with my Strat last week. Got £60 off and a free set of strings.

Totally agree on that.

I picked up a Epiphone Les Paul a few years back, since sold, and negotiated a nice price. Even the owner said, "never pay full price, do you?!!!

I just think it would be good to have set prices, and then discount days or decent sales when required.

Some won't ask, and pay full price. Imagine it in a Supermarket - "well, I can buy them cheaper at Sainsburys!"

Internet pricing from UK stores has been silly. Great news for the public, bad news for music stores. Last month four music shops went under, including Dolphin. It's scary. It's illegal to stop shops from advertising discounted prices online, but basically the wholesalers such as Fender, Yamaha, Roland, Peavey etc, have been saying to dealers, 'Look, do you want to survive?'

I would say go into your local shop and talk deals. :)

[quote name='spongebob' post='1277390' date='Jun 21 2011, 05:40 PM']I'm always seeing online bass forums, with users mainly in the USA, talking about how they have bought such-and-such a bargain at a music shop.

Maybe I've just looked in the wrong places - but I've never seen any shops offering such deals, even if for one day only. Imagine how much they could sell???[/quote]
American shops work on a different mark up system to UK shops, largely due to the differing sales taxes & things from state to state. They tend to work on a 100% mark up (at least) so they can knock what seems to be a lot off the price of something & still make a profit.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1277629' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:07 PM']Dolphins have to go under every now & then or they suffocate.[/quote]

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1277669' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:28 PM']They were rescued by PMT (the store chain, not the women's thingy).[/quote]

What a strange direction this thread has taken :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1277612' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:00 PM']Internet pricing from UK stores has been silly. Great news for the public, bad news for music stores. Last month four music shops went under, including Dolphin. It's scary. It's illegal to stop shops from advertising discounted prices online, but basically the wholesalers such as Fender, Yamaha, Roland, Peavey etc, have been saying to dealers, 'Look, do you want to survive?'

I would say go into your local shop and talk deals. :)[/quote]

This is true, i had a chat with a retailer about this a few months ago and he's only allowed to list certain prices on the internet. He specifically told me to ring or pop in if i saw something i liked and he'd give me his best price, shame i'm skint as they had loads of great stock!

I tend to haggle in most shops though after an eye-opening shopping trip with a friend of mine (from a country where haggling is the norm), he saved himself an absolute fortune on camping equipment! A few weeks later i haggled £30 off a mountain bike and also got a free set of lights thrown in, walked out of the shop feeling like i'd just been woken from the Matrix!

Having said that, if you sign up to online retailers' mailing lists you do get load of great offers.

The US population is around 310 million, ours is 60 million. That means their market is a lot bigger as much more musical equipment is sold. There is more competition too so prices are lower, what they sell for $100 costs £100 here.
I remember someone in shop telling me 10 years ago that the internet had ruined if for them, as now everyone knows the real price of everything where as beforehand many people just paid full retail price.