Why become a member? ×

Lesson in bass playing...

EBS_freak

Props to Cee Lo for holding his sh*t together. I love the way he keeps looking left - he knows what's going in over there just ain't right. And jeez, that guitar sound and that sorry excuse for a Neal Schon impersonation...

In a situation like that just stop and tune up fer f@cks sake. As a pro playing to thousands she should have a back up. Don't sack the bassist sack the bass tech.
Interestingly she's tuned up properly to play the last song...........unfortunately too late to save the day.
By the way, I bet 90% of the audience didn't notice there was anything wrong with the sound and only 2% of them knew why it sounded so bad.

Eep. nasty, maybe not completely her fault, she tried to tune it at some point I think. Tech and monitor mixer should both have been on that sh*t like flies. Handed her a tuned bass, they should have picked it up very quickly that it was not in tune. Shocking lack of support for the performer, BUT she should have been on the case too.

You'd think as a "PRO" bassist she'd be able to tune by ear or have a tuner in front of her if she can't!
I agree with Nigel that there should have been someone there with a tuned bass to hand her (it's a Festival they're playing at, not a pub!).

Bass player released this statement.

[quote name='Regina Zernay' post='9999999' date='Apr 16 2011, 1:00 PM']I’m the bass player & you guys deserve an explanation. With the late start, we had to get on stage & start playing right away. No time to check exact tuning, you just have to trust your crew & play blind. Couldn’t hear much of anything, bad sound problems. No rescue, onstage no one else could hear what was going on either. By the time I could do something about it, it was our last song. f***ed up. Sorry to everyone who’s mad about it, trust me, I’m pissed too. Will be sorting it out accordingly. – Regina Zernay[/quote]

Edited by LLOYDWT

[quote name='LLOYDWT' post='1276859' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:43 AM']Bass player released this statement.[/quote]
Totally cool explanation. I think most of us have had something like this happen at some point, I have.

More from Regina [url="https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150239157726425"]https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150239157726425[/url]

Edited by silddx

Dunno what's happened to Cee Lo recently, I've seen him singing effortlessly in the past (starts about 2:15)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpbor_Teps"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpbor_Teps[/url]

but everything I've seen him on recently he's been pretty disappointing despite having an album full of good songs.

But that was a disaster all round, apart from the drummer!

Edited by Fat Rich

happened to me once, a tech tuned my G string to G#, it was painful for a while but I sorted it, I think those that are hyper critical of the player in that circumstance underestimate the potential hostility of the environment of doing a short set, to thousands, outdoors, because if your monitor mix is f***ed then so are you.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1276906' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:06 PM']because if your monitor mix is f***ed then so are you.[/quote]

Yep of course - but surely she could hear the two Bass stacks 10 foot behind her? knowing she was out of tune with herself - who knows.
Personally i would just put it down to a bad day at the office and move on.

Garry

"Yesterday we posted the Coachella performance of Cee-Lo Greens’ “f*** You” performance where Cee-Lo and Co. were very upset “Cee-Lo Gives Coachella the Bird” about the Festival making them cut their set short . From the video posted (above) a flood of comments came not only about Cee-Lo’s pissed demeanor but Cee-Lo bass player, Regina Zernay, really awful performance on stage. Today Regina posted on our YouTube Channel, just what the hell happened yesterday at one of the biggest outdoor US festivals. See below:

I’m the bass player & you guys deserve an explanation. With the late start, we had to get on stage & start playing right away. No time to check exact tuning, you just have to trust your crew & play blind. Couldn’t hear much of anything, bad sound problems. No rescue, onstage no one else could hear what was going on either. By the time I could do something about it, it was our last song. f***ed up. Sorry to everyone who’s mad about it, trust me, I’m pissed too. Will be sorting it out accordingly. – Regina Zernay

We reviewed the clip after the comments on the bass as we were more focused on the pissed off ness of Cee Lo and we couldn’t even hear the bass??? We noticed that on some stages, the bands had very little if any time to tune or warm up (for example Warpaint) where they came on and it looked as if they only has a few moments almost as the intro to the first song to tune. Coachella has gone Nazi on the timekeeping hey??

Zernay just added:

Started w/bad sound problems. First 3 songs couldn’t hear the bass clearly, took about that long for tuning problem to be audible from where I was.

Already 20min late starting. Ran up, grabbed bass, trusted it was tuned properly & just spot checked the tuning. But if u can’t hear it in the first place u don’t know you’re spot checking to the wrong note. And you know LED displays are sh*t during daytime shows"

[quote]QUOTE (Regina Zernay @ Apr 16 2011, 1:00 PM) *
I’m the bass player & you guys deserve an explanation. With the late start, we had to get on stage & start playing right away. No time to check exact tuning, you just have to trust your crew & play blind. Couldn’t hear much of anything, bad sound problems. No rescue, onstage no one else could hear what was going on either. By the time I could do something about it, it was our last song. f***ed up. Sorry to everyone who’s mad about it, trust me, I’m pissed too. Will be sorting it out accordingly. – Regina Zernay[/quote]
"No time to check exact tuning"?? Give me a break...how long does it take to tune a bass?

Edited by SteveK

Yeah there are many parties at fault here. Also, I could only hear the guitar in Don't Stop Believing, looked like she was air playing before then, and then in Don't Stop Believing, it seemed like she was feckin awful to boot?

As for the bass, I agree with Silddx, if she did spot check the tuning at the start, she'd have known it was out. To my ears some strings sounded more out than others, if that's the case, avoid the worst strings, change how you're playing (I think we've all had to do that mid song, especially if you break one string). Sound tech should've cut her entire channel and told her to go get a new bass IMO. She was rocking out and in front of the monitors at some point, don't go and stand there if you can't hear yourself already. If you can't hear yourself, surely you point at your bass and point up to the sound guy, who puts your level up, or go and make use of that wall of ampeg behind you! And at the end of the day, tight for time or not, it takes 30s to tune a bass if you have a decent tuner, max. Well worth spending the time on, any tour manager/roadie should know that.

OT but it's a lovely setting for a show!

[quote name='SteveK' post='1276938' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:29 PM']"No time to check exact tuning"?? Give me a break...how long does it take to tune a bass?[/quote]
About a minute.

What if you can't hear much? Or see your tuner readings with bright sunlight on it? Or you trusted your tech to have tuned it for you, as should be the case with a gig like that.

Regina is a highly experienced musician by all accounts, you think she doesn't care if she's in tune? I think this was a very rare thing with circumstances beyond the band's control.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1276938' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:29 PM']"No time to check exact tuning"?? Give me a break...how long does it take to tune a bass?[/quote]
+1 inexcusable. Tune your own bass and KNOW that you are in tune. At this level unforgivable.