Why become a member? ×

Leaving a cabinet in a car?

MatthewKeys

I wouldn't like to do it if the car was prone to lots of condensation but it shouldn't be too dangerous otherwise. I regularly leave my cabs in my car, usually only for a day or two though between gigs if I'm feeling lazy.

If they're heavy cabs, consider the cost of fuel lugging it around everywhere too, it can mount up, especially when fuel costs so much. :)

Cones are paper/cardboard so need a degree of care as do electrical joints..

I may leave them in overnight on a limited basis..but I make sure they are kept in a decent temperature in the house 99% of the time.

I certainly wouldn't keep them in a normal garage for any lenght of time so I wouldn't do that with a car either.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1269521' date='Jun 15 2011, 12:55 AM']Is your gear insured if you leave it unattended in your car?[/quote]

Most car insurance specifically excludes musical equipment, so unless you have proper insurance it's probably not insured if you are in the car.

If you do have proper cover, it'll probably depend where it's parked.

If it's out of sight then the security aspect shouldn't be any different to normal. However - as far as temperature and humidity goes, I'd do it in the summer where the temperature is constantly over 10C, but in winter with frosts ? Very dodgy, I could see damage occuring.

When I had my 110 lb Marshall 4x12, it lived in the car, due to me not being able to move it on my own.

I kept a few of those silica-gel things that come with guitars/amps etc, to stop condensation, and placed one in each corner of the load space. The cab also had a vinyl cover on it. Never had a problem, all over winter.

I did take it out when the snow was about, but that was more due to me not wanting anyone driving into me, and knacking my cab as well as my car.

In my opinion, the main problem is the amount of petrol you'll use moving the cab about when you're driving. Security? I always thought that if someone was stupid enough to run off with a 90lb cab they were welcome to it! Weather? I've got a pretty good speaker system in my car for the radio and CD. I don't take that out when the weather get extreme!

Cover the cab with a blanket and you should be ok.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1272554' date='Jun 17 2011, 11:21 AM']My AC30 lived in the boot of our car for several years because it was too heavy to continually drag between the parking area and the house. Just make sure that when things get chucked in on top that nothing sharp can poke through a speaker cone.[/quote]

My combo generally lives in a flight case in the car... out of sight under the hatchback cover and I don't think it would be affected by weather any more than if it was in the shed. I am pretty sure that my MU instrument insurance covers stuff left in cars.

ficelles

The only ill-effect I've ever had from leaving a cab in a car was leaving it in the sun for hours and hours last summer - when i took it out to move it into the venue I scraped it on the car door, and rather than causing a tiny scruff it took a big chunk out of the Tolex because the glue had kinda melted. :)

That's less answering the question 'can I leave a cab in a car?' and more answering the question 'do I unload gear like a moron?', though.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1269703' date='Jun 15 2011, 09:46 AM']I always thought that if someone was stupid enough to run off with a 90lb cab they were welcome to it![/quote]

That's my view too! If anyone can carry a bulky cab and still run faster than me - I'm not going to challenge them! :)

They're doing well if they can get it through the window :) I know someone who's a periperatic (or however you spell it) teacher around schools, so he leaves stuff in his car all the time and never has issues. I've left stuff in overnight, such as coming back from a gig at silly o clock with a fully loaded car. I'd take the nickables out, but if anyone wants to try running off with a 50kg 4x10 or a gazillion kg Peavey Triumph, as previously said they're more than welcome to it :)

Personally, I wouldn't.

Certainly during summer. It can get as hot as 65 degrees Celcius (150 degrees Fahrenheit).

It is not only affecting the the glue of your tolex (as mentioned before) but also of the plywood. It dries out any wood or paper used in the cab (neither of which likes to be completely dried out).

During winter moisture is probably more problematic.

By the way, even at these fairly low temperatures, these changes in temperature (10 <> 65 degrees Celsius fluctuation from night to day) can permanently damage/change the magnetic properties of the speaker magnets (certainly Ferrite, not sure about Neodynium).

If it's to heavy to haul.... don't buy it :)

Edited by BasH

[quote name='chris_b' post='1269703' date='Jun 15 2011, 09:46 AM']In my opinion, the main problem is the amount of petrol you'll use moving the cab about when you're driving.[/quote]

Sorry, but I don't buy this. An extra 90lbs is insignificant when you consider the weight of the vehicle is going to be at least a tonne to start with.

[quote name='BasH' post='1272870' date='Jun 17 2011, 03:55 PM']By the way, even at these fairly low temperatures, these changes in temperature (10 <> 65 degrees Celsius fluctuation from night to day) can permanently damage/change the magnetic properties of the speaker magnets (certainly Ferrite, not sure about Neodynium).[/quote]

Maybe if your car happens to be heated to 770 centigrade. But I reckon your drivers demagnetising is probably the least of your worries at that point :)

[quote name='Protium' post='1273000' date='Jun 17 2011, 06:52 PM']Maybe if your car happens to be heated to 770 centigrade. But I reckon your drivers demagnetising is probably the least of your worries at that point :)[/quote]
Apparently this can already happen at room temperature. As long as the change in temperature is big enough (so these metallurgy lessons weren't in vain at University).

[quote name='pete.young' post='1272898' date='Jun 17 2011, 04:15 PM']Sorry, but I don't buy this. An extra 90lbs is insignificant when you consider the weight of the vehicle is going to be at least a tonne to start with.[/quote]

Not so. It's still nearly 2% extra mass for the car to pull around, wear out tyres, decrease braking/suspension performance (and longevity).
I've modded my car for better fuel economy and performance. First thing I did was chuck out as much redundant weight as possible, starting with the (full sized) spare wheel..

And remember, cabs die in hot cars.

If the cab is kept out of direct sunlight & there's no condensation in your car, then there shouldn't be any issue. There's rarely any issues with car audio subs & amps in the boot.
The only concern I would have is if someone stole the car, would the cab be covered?