Why become a member? ×

Wombles to play Glastonbury

slobluesine

ok i'll start it off.... decisions like these are down to old timers, prescription drugs, or a sad combo of the two

WTF hey, how SAD has Glastonbury become, cannot believe the thinking behind this, the f***in wombles playing at the biggest rock festival on the planet beggars believe?

is there a Glastonbury forum? gotta watch this one... Eavis has probably just got the rights to sell all the f***in Wombles merchandise, wotatosser

Edited by slobluesine

I saw them (nearly) in 1974 at Withdean Stadium in Brighton

The whole natural amphitheatre of the place was covered in kids sat with mums and dads.

The Wombles wombled on out, got about halfway down the middle of the atheltics 'field' (the pitch as used by Brighton and Hove Albion for the last few years). They all looked very happy, waving at us on the surrounding grassy hillocks.

As one there was a moaning squeeling roar of delight from the yoof who were present as we all rose to our feet and ran pell mell at them, dunno why we did, but we did, just trying to get some Madame Cholet fur to show our mates at school or something.

Honestly it was like a feral tidal wave of kids with the destructive power of 3000 of the little buggers, or one Japanese tidal wave.

The poor sods in their suits did what any of us would do in the same situation nowadays, they turned as one and ran howling back into their dressing room under the stand (the one that had Zoo on it from the days when Withdean Stadium was actually Brighton Zoo).

Happy days!!

[quote name='51m0n' post='1268943' date='Jun 14 2011, 05:48 PM']I saw them (nearly) in 1974 at Withdean Stadium in Brighton

The whole natural amphitheatre of the place was covered in kids sat with mums and dads.

The Wombles wombled on out, got about halfway down the middle of the atheltics 'field' (the pitch as used by Brighton and Hove Albion for the last few years). They all looked very happy, waving at us on the surrounding grassy hillocks.

As one there was a moaning squeeling roar of delight from the yoof who were present as we all rose to our feet and ran pell mell at them, dunno why we did, but we did, just trying to get some Madame Cholet fur to show our mates at school or something.

Honestly it was like a feral tidal wave of kids with the destructive power of 3000 of the little buggers, or one Japanese tidal wave.

The poor sods in their suits did what any of us would do in the same situation nowadays, they turned as one and ran howling back into their dressing room under the stand (the one that had Zoo on it from the days when Withdean Stadium was actually Brighton Zoo).

Happy days!![/quote]

yeah, yeah, but???? would you pay/want to see them at Glastonbury? now! really!!!

Edited by slobluesine

Jeez - it's one act out of about 300. Loads of people will enjoy it, those who don't enjoy it can go to plenty of other places while they're playing their set. I thought that Eavis's comments showed him up to be a complete twat. What sort of promoter makes their guests feel THAT unwanted?

As has been said above, I'd rather see the Wombles than well over half of the more normal, identikit acts that will no doubt be filling the bill.

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1269220' date='Jun 14 2011, 09:07 PM']got any of their albums then :)[/quote]

YES
Ive got kids.

:)

Seriously the wombles tunes are good, he wrote bright eyes, which Art Garfunkle took to No 1, as well as writing songs for other artists

They aren't just good pop tunes - technically they are interesting as well. Mike Batt had a knack of bringing non-mainstream musical writing to the masses, albeit subtly hidden in catchy tunes. All sorts of genres are included from Mozart to Reggae to Barbershop, many on a single album.

And yes. I have Womble vinyl. And if I were to be visiting the mudpit at Worthy Farm, would be wombling along to their stage in plenty of time!

Should I be looking for my coat? :)

[quote name='bumnote' post='1269239' date='Jun 14 2011, 09:22 PM']YES
Ive got kids.

:)

Seriously the wombles tunes are good, he wrote bright eyes, which Art Garfunkle took to No 1, as well as writing songs for other artists[/quote]

that's such a lame xcuse bumnote :) i've obviously entered the dark side of BC here and i think i need to get out sharpish,

and 'the wombles tunes are good' .... so what's your favourite before i go?

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1269358' date='Jun 14 2011, 10:30 PM']He probably knows if he puts them on, on the last day they won't be able to resist staying behind to pick up the rubbish. :lol:[/quote]

MB1. :)
:) Reckon theyll be in there Wombling white tie and tails for this gig!.Are they headlining?

[quote name='lanark' post='1269080' date='Jun 14 2011, 07:35 PM']Jeez - it's one act out of about 300.[/quote]
Probably a bit more than that on the Sunday alone.

Michael Eavis did a talk at the Southbank last night, and did seem to be genuinely p*issed off that the Wombles were playing. Though, as has already been pointed out, there's always a novelty act every year and they're usually well attended. Each to their own I suppose.

Edited to add: I've got agree it's pretty poor slagging an act before they've even played. I thought ME's comment was taken out of context initially, but it would seem not.

Edited by Musky

Wombles & U2 play Glastonbury:

Wombles: invented recycling, wear great costumes, play lovely pop tunes.

U2: have a carbon footprint larger than Brazil, zero dress sense, make Bartok sound snappy and cool.

Micheal Eavis: who is Uncle Bulgaria this year? Ooops did I say that out loud...

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

Just look up Mike Batt on Wikipedia and look at the list of people he's worked with over a period of decades.
No matter what your opinion of The Wombles, this guy has a seriously impressive track record. :)

They always sounded like a cross between Steeleye and ELO to me and I now have a strange remix of The Diary of Horace Whimp, All Around My Hat and Wombling Free going on in my head... :)

I think the appropriate time for slagging the Wombles was probably about thirty-odd years ago. Of all the bands in the world what benefit, satisfaction or kudos anybody thinks they might get out of 'hating' the Wombles is entirely beyond me.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1269536' date='Jun 15 2011, 01:16 AM']I think the appropriate time for slagging the Wombles was probably about thirty-odd years ago. Of all the bands in the world, what benefit, satisfaction or kudos anybody thinks they might get out of 'hating' the Wombles is entirely beyond me.[/quote]

...plus the fact that they had a recycling policy long before the local councils pretended to have one... :)